04-01-2015, 04:00 PM
  • HarryO
  • FLA, USA.
User Info
I read a post recently (can’t recall where) regarding the post shave . One guy said he would use alum after a cold water rinse. Then after a few mins. of drying he would cold water rinse again. Apply Thayers witch hazel and let that dry and either use a after shave splash or some after shave balm. It sounds a bit redundant to me, but he swears that it cools his face, cuts down on red bumps etc... What do you all think?

21 463
 04-01-2015, 04:22 PM
User Info
Well I can't comment on alum as my skin doesn't like it at all. Other than that I suggest starting with the thinnest/lightest posts have product followed by the thickest/heaviest if you want to layer. So splash before balm IME. 

31 8,057
 04-01-2015, 04:29 PM
User Info
Harry,
I use alum regularly, followed by Thayer's Witch Hazel. The Alum is an antiseptic (disinfects) and the witch hazel is an astringent (closes pores). Works for me.

39 3,919
 04-01-2015, 06:45 PM
User Info
I only use cool to cold water and unrefined shea butter and this seems to be working very well for me.  Smile

83 21,077
 04-01-2015, 06:53 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Cold water, use splash let dry, then balm or unrefined shea butter. Enjoy!

59 4,498
 04-01-2015, 06:54 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
It all depends on the shave for me. If I have any cuts/weepers, etc., I use either alum or witch hazel (occasionally both), followed by balm. If it was a smooth shave with no skin damage, just balm. 

60 843
 04-01-2015, 09:09 PM
User Info
Rinse with cold water, alum, wait 30 sec (clean brush), cold water, wait 30 sec (clean razor), Alcohol free Witch Hazel, wait 30-60 sec (put away gear), organic extra virgin olive oil - magic!

Whatever your post-shave routine, please get some good extra virgin olive oil, add ~4 drops (maybe start with less) to one dry hand, slightly wet the other hand, rub both hands to get an emulsion and massage into your face - unbelievable!

I cannot stress, how great this is, I know we are all after magic razors and grail brushes - but the humble Olive Oil is for me the only shaving product I would never give up!

I have heard, some like to use an alcohol based splash after a couple of minutes - for me personally it is the perfect finish to my shave. Every 5-7 shaves I use Argan oil instead, because the magic of the Olive Oil lessens a bit, but the feel of Olive Oil is superior and I am always looking forward to the next shave with Olive Oil.

7 904
 04-02-2015, 04:14 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(04-01-2015, 06:53 PM)eengler Wrote: Cold water, use splash let dry, then balm or unrefined shea butter. Enjoy!

This is what I do minus the shea butter.

178 23,809
 04-02-2015, 01:44 PM
User Info
Thayers Witch Hazel followed by a balm or splash, works everytime. However it's usually predominantly balm in the winter months.

4 642
 04-02-2015, 02:52 PM
User Info
For me its a cold water rinse, thayers witch hazel, copious amounts of aftershave, the menthol version if possible, to help numb my face, especially after a rough shave, then balm.

0 37
 04-02-2015, 04:16 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(04-01-2015, 06:53 PM)eengler Wrote: Cold water, use splash let dry, then balm or unrefined shea butter. Enjoy!

splash then balm? I always thought it was one OR the other, not AND.  But, to quote my wife "what do you (I) know?"

7 2,328
 04-02-2015, 04:34 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
(04-02-2015, 04:16 PM)Mouser Wrote:

splash then balm? I always thought it was one OR the other, not AND.  But, to quote my wife "what do you (I) know?"

I really enjoy both, my skin appreciates the moisture of a balm or USB even after a nice conditioning splash. 

59 4,498
 04-05-2015, 02:48 AM
User Info
It depends, sometimes just AS, Floid, some others a gel balm, from Loreal or Nivea. Some, just water. Face asks the post treatment and the blade has a lot to do with it. I also shave myself before shower, not after, and may be this makes a difference. By the way, can you refer to products you use as part of your postshave?

1 112
 04-06-2015, 02:08 PM
  • naiyor
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
I like a warm rinse followed by a long cold-water rinse. Then usually an aftershave splash or occasionally an aftershave balm. 

I think I enjoy the cold rinse too much. 

0 360
 04-06-2015, 02:44 PM
User Info
(04-06-2015, 02:08 PM)naiyor Wrote: I like a warm rinse followed by a long cold-water rinse. Then usually an aftershave splash or occasionally an aftershave balm. 

I think I enjoy the cold rinse too much. 

I concur! Biggrin

2 226
 04-07-2015, 12:26 PM
User Info
I use cold water, then witch hazel, then a very light coat of a balm.

50 6,099
 04-07-2015, 12:36 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I am back to a cold water rinse, apply alum, let dry for a bit, another cold water rinse, pat dry and apply aftershave. Using both alum and witch hazel is a little redundant, I think, as both are astringents and have other similar properties. I sometimes use a balm if my face feels particularly dry/irritated.

Bob

0 1,694
 04-07-2015, 06:30 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
For me the cold water splash, followed by after shave was the routine for years. Then I read about those that apply a balm as a 3rd step, and it's become part of my routine. My face feels terrific

19 742
 04-11-2015, 12:40 PM
User Info
I'm a cold water splash only person. I don't bother with balms, aftershaves, alum, etc. I do have some Nivea sensitive post shave balm that I will use on my head after shaving it occasionally, but that is mostly only because I like the scent. I find my body does a fine job of keeping my skin in good condition, as long as I don't overdo it shaving. If I use a dull blade or a soap that doesn't agree with my skin, then I have problems. So for me, post shave isn't as important as finding out what is correct for the during shave period.

Disclaimer - I'm 27 years old. I'm aware that skin doesn't hold up as well as we age, so this may be a temporary situation for me, and may not apply to everyone.

4 63
 04-11-2015, 02:28 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I use a cloth with cold water and hold it to the areas of my face that  have irritation. This is similar to hot towels in the beginning, but the cold towels help soothe and reduce irritation for me. If the shave was  particularly rough , I will us a generous amount of a mentholated AS. If I have nicks or cuts, alum is applied immediately to stop the bleeding  before going on to the next pass.  Neosporin is applied locally after the splash.  I don't get rough shaves very often because if a shave is not going well, I usually try to stop and find out what is causing the problem, and change things to eliminate that problem as much as possible, including limiting the number of passes, changing the blade mid-shave, switching to a better soap, or simply stopping altogether. I don't put up with a rough shave, period.  But sometimes, the first sign of a rough shave is a nick or cut, and sometimes irritation develops afterward. You do the best you can when that happens.

2 1,683