04-01-2015, 10:37 PM
User Info
On Friday on my way home from work I got rear ended. I was doing 5mph, I estimate the other guy was doing 30 mph.

Mind you my car is older, not in excellent shape, but it's not a piece of garbage. He tries to buy me off with $200.

Insulted I tell him to think about how much the bumper alone without paint costs, and he proceeds to offer me $300 and a cheaper Seiko.

So I call 911.

We proceed to take pictures of each other's information, so now the photos are timestamped after my initial 911 call. He says he saw steam under his hood so he popped it to look. I see he bent his AC condenser, I also note his primary frame rails are bent. 

Then he proceeds to drive off after concluding his radiator isn't leaking. 

I call 911 again, let them know, and the officer shows up and says "well he did give you info." He initially refused to write a report due to this and I had to push him to do so citing the guy bent his frame. In the end he did an initial courtesy report that can go to a full report if need be. 

Now Geico is doing everything from saying that I should try to get MY insurance to cover the damage and say they might not cover it since they haven't been able to get a hold of the individual (surprise) and they'll make a decision in eight days. 

Now today I put my car on a lift at work (luxury car technican) and see my frame is bent. His Corolla vs my Civic, totaling a compact with a compact involves a lot of force.

My neck is a little stiff, not something I'm blowing out of proportion. So I'll have to call my doctor tomorrow. On top of having to yell at Geico again to get a rental or knowing how much they'll foot so I'm not driving a car that the bumper may fly off on. 

4 147
 04-01-2015, 10:58 PM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
Sorry to hear about your problems and better luck with Geico.  I called them for a home insuance quote, talk about fools.  They claimed I lived at 1200 feet on the side of a mountain!  I actually live just above sea level.  It got worse, Geico claimed if I worked or left my home for more than 8 hours in a month then my home was considered vacant?  I just gave up.  So good luck.

2 479
 04-02-2015, 02:44 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Contact your insurance company, give them all the information, and let them contact Geico.  You will also need a full report from the police.  You are talking about way more than just bent rails and a rear bumper, you're talking about your neck and back.  You have no idea what kind of physical problems you might have in the future over this.

182 25,472
 04-02-2015, 04:07 AM
User Info
Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Definitely report it to your insurance co. Geico is good on claims if nothing else. 

147 14,105
 04-02-2015, 06:54 AM
  • Bony
  • New York , USA
User Info
Yes Johnny is right, get full police report,and report the accident to your insurance!  Let your insurance to do the claim on your behalf , this way you have better chance to get Geico paying your repair bils!  Wishing you good health! 

11 474
 04-02-2015, 11:56 PM
User Info
I went full out with threats with pictures of my bent frame and my insurance company going on the offensive because of Geico dragging their feet. The car is being officially inspected by them tomorrow and they're acknowledging my medical claim. 

The big thing is the disgusting way Geico tried to weasel out. If I didn't take pictures of his car with landmarks in the background with the hood open at the scene I would've been out of luck, even though I had his information. 

What I've learned to take pictures of everything. License, registration, insurance card, and vehicle (with damage) with license plate visible. If this were to happen again I'd even get one of the owner. I was basically made aware if I couldn't prove who was at fault beyond a reasonable doubt they would deny my claim. The initial person handling my claim was overzealous trying to deny it, it wasn't until I stopped talking on the phone and my threats were done in writing where I had a record that something happened. 

Don't accept no on a police report from an officer, ever. 

My iPhone automatically adds time stamps and location marks to photos. Turn that setting on, the officer paid particular note to this in his report. 

4 147
 05-07-2015, 11:49 AM
User Info
I hate these stories. Brings back memories of my experience.

I am waiting in line at a gas stations and see a sketchy fellow run out of station and hop into his car. He could have just robbed it for all I know. He throws the car in reverse and b-lines straight for my drivers side door. I am frantically trying to get it into reverse, all the while laying on the horn for a full 15 seconds, and keep my eye on him the whole time. He never swerves but I got out of his way enough that he clobbered the left front fender/bumper of my car. He jumps out. A real d-bag. Mullet, no shirt, bib overalls, flip-flops, twitching like a meth head. He was totally apologetic and accepting responsibility. I told him to get out his info while I call the cops. They tell me to get his info but they wont make a report since no one is hurt. So I get his info, name, address, phone, and insurance info. This was just the beginning...

I call his agent later that day and he said he hadnt heard from his client but would get back with me. The next day he said the client forgot to call but remembered I drove into him but the agent would come out to look at the damage just the same. The agent totaled up the damage to about 900 bucks. Then proceeds to tell me he sees no way I could have caused this damage by running into his client (clearly I was backed into) but he cant pay me the damages unless his client admits fault and he is no way obligated to convince his client to do so. So after a week of hand wringing and calls to the agent I made up my mind. I stopped by the courthouse and filled out the paperwork to take someone to small claims court. There was a fee for the paperwork and to have it served. I added these fees to the amount I was sueing for using the agent's estimate as my settlement amount. Plus I paid extra to have one of the sheriffs deputies be the person serving papers.

About a week later I get a call from the agent. It appears his client had a "moment of reckoning" where he remembered he may have been the one that backed into me. He was at his desk and ready to write me the check and hand deliver it to me. I told him I would be more than happy to settle out of court if he added the court cost to the settlement check. He happily obliged.

I never want to go through that again.

8 169
 05-07-2015, 12:46 PM
User Info
I feel for your situation, but there is a valid lesson to be learned here.

Never, never, never, never, Never, never, never, never, Never, never, never, never, Never, never, never, never, Never, never, never, never, Never, never, never, never, Never, never, never, never, Never, never, never, never, Never, never, never, never, Never, never, never, never, Never, never, never, never, Never, never, never, never, Never, never, never, never, Never, never, never, never, ever have any type of accident and not call the cops immediately.

ALWAYS call the cops first.

1 125
 05-13-2015, 09:34 PM
User Info
Northern VA,,... don't even bother calling. The Cop will force you to exchange info and refuse to testify or make a statement.

1 628
 06-30-2015, 05:42 AM
User Info
(05-07-2015, 12:46 PM)KnurledNut Wrote: I feel for your situation, but there is a valid lesson to be learned here.

Never, never, never, never, Never, never, never, never, Never, never, never, never, Never, never, never, never, Never, never, never, never, Never, never, never, never, Never, never, never, never, Never, never, never, never, Never, never, never, never, Never, never, never, never, Never, never, never, never, Never, never, never, never, Never, never, never, never, Never, never, never, never, ever have any type of accident and not call the cops immediately.

ALWAYS call the cops first.

Sometimes i feel it is unnecessary if the person who caused the accident is very apologetic and acknowledginv their fault,  especially if they are elderly,  etc. 

But i should?  Just to prevent a sticky situation later on?

53 762