04-01-2015, 11:38 PM
  • ThreeBs
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada
User Info
Hi gentlemen,

I was looking around on the forum and couldn't find any comparisons between the two, so I figured I'd start a new one ! 

I'm wandering what are the differences between these two grades of badger hair and what characteristic sets them apart from one another. I'm looking to get a knot in a vintage handle and the consensus seems to be that these WSP Superfine and HMW are pretty much the best knots money can buy. Now, if there's any other kind of supplier that can match the quality of WSP knots, I'll have to look into these as well. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. 

I usually enjoy 2 bands a lot more then 3 bands. But I've red some great things about WSP HMW, so that's why I'm looking into this option as well. For the record, I like soft tipped brush (no scritch) with moderate to strong amount of backbone. Some of my favorites at the moment are : 

- Simpsons Ch2 Silvertip 2 band (latest batch)
- Simpsons TSN M6 Manchurian
- Romera Manchurian
- Rooney 2XL Heritage 2 band

If you happen to have some experience with both the Superfine and HMW, I'd really appreciate your input. And of course, I'll look into any suggestions you guys might have for me.

Thanks a lot ! 

20 147
 04-02-2015, 05:59 AM
User Info
I have the 26mm stubby in superfine and the 24mm HMW Monarch. Both are well constructed, make a good lather, and have good flow. The stubby is very dense and has a plenty of backbone, but the soft tips and some splay due to the 53mm loft. I think this equals a very nice high medium scrubbing sensation. The monarch has extremely soft tips and a small amount of backbone. I almost feel as if I'm not using a brush with the monarch and I'm just spreading a ball of lather with a handle on my face.

1 40
 04-02-2015, 08:51 AM
User Info
The Superfine 2-Band knots have more backbone with good scrub, especially, the Stubby Superfine 2-Band knots. The HMW are very soft with not as much backbone and perform more like a 3-Band knot.

82 21,056