04-02-2015, 05:49 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Hi everyone,

I noticed that Maria Arman (Maggard’s shaving soap) was now using a tallow formula in her soaps, so like all curious people, I had to order some to compare with the non-tallow version.

Bottom line, these soaps are an excellent example that tallow or non-tallow doesn’t really matter much is the soap maker knows their job. Performance, scent, and lather are all very much the same, though there are some differences. No point in replacing the non-tallow versions IMO. Full disclaimer, I’ve only used the tallow version once, though the non-tallow version is always in my line-up.

Appearance: The tallow soap appears whiter and harder than the non-tallow, which seems a little softer and yellower. The softness could just be the cure I suppose.

Fragrance: The same. I also did not notice a “clay” or tallow scent that it seems you can smell in other tallow soaps. Neither fragrance lingers post-shave. Limes and Bergamot is one of my favorite fragrances especially in warm weather.

Lather building: Since the tallow seemed harder, I increased my load from about 25 swirls to 30. This yielded more than enough lather for 3 passes, so maybe the increase is not needed. Brush was an unusually soft Simpson 58 with good flow through.

Lather quality: Very similar, the tallow may be a tiny bit denser or heavier, but the difference is very small.

Lather performance: Again not much difference. I can buff with a straight with both. If anything the tallow version seemed to be a little more tacky as it dried, but no big difference. Both are slick and provide good cushion.

Post Shave feel: I am post shave feel agnostic, clean dry skin is fine for me as I get my PS feel from a quality AS/balm. But by traditional standards the tallow version left skin feeling a bit more conditioned. If conditioning from the soap itself is important to you, this is noticeable but not huge. I assume this is from the tallow superfat.

As a side note, I also tried out Soap Commander’s Lime and Patchouli, which I have also only used once. Opening the tub the first time, my first thought was get the chips because it’s looks like a tub of guacamole and I can do without the green color, it doesn’t add anything for me. It’s an interesting scent and if you like patchouli, you’ll like the fragrance and the patchouli lingers a bit and is a larger part of the fragrance than the bergamot is in the Maggard soap. The lather builds easily, is good quality and there’s nothing left to be desired. I started with a wet but not dripping brush and the lather was a tiny bit thin but some additional loading corrected most of that. The post-shave feel is conditioned skin, likely from the shea butter (which I prefer the feel of vs lanolin, which seems heavier and tackier). I’m looking forward to using this soap more and getting the loading perfect, I suspect it’s a superb soap.

Cheers, Steve

7 523
 04-02-2015, 07:28 AM
User Info
Interesting, I loved the scent, but wasn't impressed with the lather from the original formula.  Might have to give the Tallow version a try. 

53 1,199
 04-02-2015, 02:46 PM
  • Csd3
  • Denver, Co
User Info
Thanks for the great comp review- I dig the non tallow version- and the laugh out loud 

7 325
 04-03-2015, 04:57 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
I have used the Maggard Limes & Bergamot since it came out. Maggard's only sells tallow. It has become one of my "Top 5" soaps.

[Image: SOTD%204-1-15_zpsqqexgo9b.jpg]

4 2,760
 04-03-2015, 08:49 AM
User Info
I just took delivery of a sample of it yesterday; safe to assume it is the tallow version?

2 1,451
 04-03-2015, 08:49 AM
User Info
Great review! I have the non-tallow version and I think it lacks in slickness and it definitely dries my face out a fair bit so it's not really a favorite of mine but the scent is quite nice. I might have to give the tallow formula a go maybe in the London Barbershop scent

8 206
 04-03-2015, 04:20 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Thanks Nudge! I don't find the vegan version less slick, but it doesn't leave the skin feeling like a classic tallow, shea butter, or lanolin-containing soap. 

Kingfisher, my ingredients label says "tallow". The jar also has a green star on the bottom, but I might guess this is a Maggard inventory thing so the stockist doesn't have to read every label.

My opinion is with csd3 here, but really the biggest difference to me is the post-shave feel, and that just depends on what post-shave feel you prefer. And if you're like me, that changes from time-to-time. Lol. But right now, I'm equally happy with the older vegan formula, so much that I have two double-batched tubs of Limes and Bergamot, and Lilac. 

Cheers, Steve

7 523
 04-03-2015, 04:33 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Oh and Bob, one of the versions is in my top 5 also. Where's the AS?

Cheers, Steve

7 523
 04-04-2015, 05:20 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Hey Steve-It is right here: http://www.maggardrazors.com/product/mag...shave-4oz/

I prefer mentholated alcohol based aftershaves though.

Bob

4 2,760
 04-04-2015, 08:01 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Ordered some! I'm not that large a menthol guy, my go to splash is Myrsol Agua Balsamica because my skin really likes it, but i frequently top off with a balm after dry-down.

Cheers, Steve

7 523
 04-04-2015, 10:13 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
FYI-Maggard AS Splashes are not alcohol based and L&B does not have menthol. Sorry if I confused the issue.........

4 2,760
 04-07-2015, 07:10 AM
User Info
Loved the scent of the Limes & Bergamot, but both the vegan and tallow Maggards (London Barbershop for that one) burned my face.

The Soap Commander lime, on the other hand, causes me no discomfort at all.

9 112
 04-08-2015, 06:48 AM
User Info
(04-07-2015, 07:10 AM)DesertJake Wrote: Loved the scent of the Limes & Bergamot, but both the vegan and tallow Maggards (London Barbershop for that one) burned my face.

The Soap Commander lime, on the other hand, causes me no discomfort at all.

I also experienced a mild burning sensation when using the Limes & Bergamot and also a much worse burning with the Fougere Sauvage so I think I will steer clear of the London Barbershop as well.

8 206