04-04-2015, 04:04 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Title says it all.
I have no desire to put fake hair on my face.
Ever.
Convince me I'm wrong.

62 3,008
 04-04-2015, 04:09 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
You get a Plisson synthetic and you will think the softest badger you ever felt has just touched your face.

Fake hair, yes.  Won't hold bacteria, won't mildew, won't stink, etc., etc., etc.

Never say never until you tried one.  And personally, I recommend the Plisson synthetic over any other.

Oh, and they are dry within the hour.

179 23,932
 04-04-2015, 04:24 PM
User Info
(04-04-2015, 04:04 PM)Nero Wrote: Title says it all.
Ever.
Convince me I'm wrong.

Why waste time trying to convince you if you already decided?

18 713
 04-04-2015, 05:01 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
The new synthetic fiber brushes are excellent.  I find the Plisson Synthetic too soft but, I really enjoy the Muhle and Grooming Co synthetics. No matter your lathering preferences, there is a synthetic fiber brush that will work well for you.

46 18,620
 04-04-2015, 05:08 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Be a devil and give 'em a try.  What have you to lose?  But if you've already made up your mind, what's the point?

7 934
 04-04-2015, 05:27 PM
User Info
Synthetic fibers:

clean, closed pores, the "sponge" you fill up and empty every time using it  is much smaller. This is not just about needing less soap but about hygiene
Apart from residue in the brush: no decomposing material in the brush itself

Another reason to use shaving soap instead of canned foam
Of course, everything that is sophisticated and complex is welcome- especially for those who like it and want to do it that way.

21 1,175
 04-04-2015, 05:31 PM
User Info
They have a really great face feel. I imagine it would be especially nice for a face lather (I bowl lather).

0 1,098
 04-04-2015, 05:44 PM
  • racebmx
  • Sapone Di Paolo
  • Charleston, South Carolina
User Info
I will second Phil's Grooming Co. recommendation. It has become my favorite by a good margin. 

11 686
 04-04-2015, 05:47 PM
User Info
The only benefit for me is the quick drying time that would be quite useful with traveling or generating lather if you are experiencing difficulties with natural-hair brushes. Other than that, I don't really like them so I won't try to convince you as they just aren't the same as natural fibres, in my opinion. 
Actually, I have found every synthetic brush that I have tried has the typical 'spring' to the fibres, but worse, they all have that characteristic where the fibres just don't bend as natural ones do and I find that the tips actually 'poke' my skin at times, especially, if you face-lather. I have noticed this with each one I have tried and this is something natural fibres (well, good badger hair) won't do. 

83 21,111
 04-04-2015, 07:09 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Interesting post.

I picked up a synthetic at the L 'Occitane store on Michigan Avenue a month ago. I haven't even taken it out of the box yet. And I don't know whether I will or not. sigh

60 1,626
 04-04-2015, 07:24 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Ever.
Convince me I'm wrong.

I'm afraid if you have read up on synthetic brushes then nothing I can tell you will convince you to try one. You can get along fine without them, at least I could. You do not have to have another tool in your shaving tool kit and that is what they are, just another tool. I like variety so I do use them along with boar and badger brushes.

Bob

0 1,694
 04-04-2015, 08:35 PM
User Info
Ever.
Convince me I'm wrong.

Yeah, I don't really get it. If you don't want one, don't buy one, it's really that simple.

You rub dead animal hair on your face, but putting plastic bristles on there is strange?

I use Bagder, Boar, and Synthetic. My Mühle V2 is the only brush I've used in the past month, it is soft and just lathers better than the others.

1 108
 04-04-2015, 09:12 PM
User Info
Find what works for you & what you enjoy using. For me, the Plisson synthetic beats out everything else in those two categories so it is all that I use now. 

Godspeed you on your journey to learning what solves this riddle for you. Just be it known that you are the only one who can try answer your own question & experience is how you reach the destination. 

31 8,058
 04-04-2015, 09:44 PM
User Info
You asked to be convinced, which means you want to be persuaded logically as to why you might consider a synthetic brush.

The only brush I use now is a Plisson synthetic. Prior to that I used badger and horse hair shaving brushes. The Plisson simply outperforms "real hair." I could use the same soap for all the brushes, but for some reason, the Plisson creates the creamiest lather faster using less product.

If the whole point of using a shaving brush is so that we can maximize the shaving soap or cream we have, then it'd make sense to use the brush that is able to do so. The main gripe I hear regarding synthetics like the Plisson is that it is "too floppy," "doesn't feel like a badger." While "feel" is certainly important to some, I hope we are also guided by logic. If so we'd use "fake hair" on our faces if it produces the best results.

Also, in terms of cost, the most a synthetic will cost you is $100. Although if you shop carefully, you can purchase one on average for $30-$50. Whereas, unless you use boars, a high end badger is easily $150+. While it's also a plus that synthetics dry fast, the main point is that they or specifically the Plisson creates quite simply more lather with less product.

If you're not convinced by this, then keep using "real hair." Real harm, real foul (yes badgers are harmed, and yes they smell really bad at first).

79 373
 04-04-2015, 11:19 PM
User Info
The only benefit for me is the price, I don't think a brush have to be so soft on the face, many brushes in true hairs are really really soft, no need more.
I have a Plisson that I shorten to 50mm and yes it's a damn fine brush but it has no charism and I have no special pleasure to use it.
good brush btw, for that price you can't get better and cheaper except in boar ... if you like boar.

14 250
 04-05-2015, 12:29 AM
User Info
Get a Chubby 2 Synthetic. 
They're inexpensive and make short work of hard soaps. 
They also dry quickly which is plus in Winter.  

23 475
 04-05-2015, 12:37 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Don't limit your range of experiences without trying for yourself first.

99 18,011
 04-05-2015, 12:58 AM
User Info
Performance is the word here.
I see no electrostatic buildup happening,  the preference of natural brush may be due to established technique, and mammal social behaviour. Rubbbing against natural hair. I have natural brushes as well... Smile  The whole facelathering stuff is rooted in mammal social behaviour. I know I won t let go of it

21 1,175
 04-05-2015, 06:26 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I must say, like you, I am a traditionalist at heart. I have many, many badger and boar brushes, and I really enjoy using them.

But performance and face-feel of a synthetic is tough to beat. Yes, they are different from natural hair. The "springiness" of the hairs are different. I have a Mühle STF 2.0, and while I don't use it often, I absolutely can't deny these traits:
1) Softer tips
2) Solid backbone
3) Uses less product
4) Easier to lather
5) Greater longevity
6) No shedding
7) Dries almost instantly

Despite the list above, I still use a natural hair brush 99% of the time. But I do not deny the truth of those facts. Maybe I need to open a new thread asking people to convince me to stop using badger brushes. :-D

22 835
 04-05-2015, 06:30 AM
User Info
Do they splay like badgers and boars?

8 2,718