04-04-2015, 08:12 PM
User Info
I was aware that the creator of Phoenix soaps has a clear talent for fragrances. This made me curious when I saw he's offering Sandalwood. Received it yesterday and used it this morning. I was also aware that his soaps are excellent performers. So buying the Sandalwood was an easy decision. It's slick and makes a tight abundant lather, and that's my main concern with my soaps and creams these days. I also got the Sandalwood Cologne and a bar of Sandalwood bath soap.  I'm glad to finally find a Sandalwood fragrance I can use post shave, not only with the Phoenix, but also with my other Sandalwood soaps, AOS tallow, Harris, and Taylor's. I can probably also use it with the Castle Forbes Cedarwood Sandalwood. The fragrance is pleasant and mild, and it lasts a while, long enough for me to catch a brief reminder of it every now and then. 

24 1,226
 04-05-2015, 06:12 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
 04-05-2015, 02:17 PM
User Info
(04-05-2015, 06:12 AM)chamm Wrote: [Image: m4r7NWz.jpg]

What?

24 1,226
 04-05-2015, 02:20 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
Sorry, there is some drama surrounding Phoenix. I figured this would be a more active thread. :-D

22 835
 04-05-2015, 02:36 PM
User Info
(04-05-2015, 02:20 PM)chamm Wrote: Sorry, there is some drama surrounding Phoenix. I figured this would be a more active thread. :-D

Yeah, I am thinking positively, now that now there has been the passage of enough time, sufficient that we can go about the pleasant TSN business of discussing the merits of some really excellent shaving gear.  : )

24 1,226
 04-05-2015, 03:08 PM
User Info
I wonder if Douglas Smythe of HTGAM, now called Phoenix, actually makes the soap he markets?

18 713
 04-05-2015, 03:15 PM
User Info
Something's seriously wrong? I can't post about a product that I bought, and like?

24 1,226
 04-05-2015, 03:21 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(04-05-2015, 03:15 PM)brothers Wrote: Something's seriously wrong? I can't post about a product that I bought, and like?

Yes you can Gary.  Post away.

179 23,928
 04-05-2015, 03:30 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
Honestly, I thought that the last 25+ page threads about Phoenix were a little overly dramatic. I haven't tried any of those products since HTGAM and PPF. I think the guy made a few publicity missteps, but I don't think he's probably a bad person. I have heard pretty consistently that he's a good soaper.

22 835
 04-05-2015, 03:56 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
Onto the quality of the soaps:

I've only tried PPF Cider House #8 and HTGAM Lime. Both were outstanding performers. I really enjoyed the appley scent of the PPF, but did not care much for the scent of any of the HTGAM I smelled in the store. They all had an "after-smell" that was... off... in a way I can't really describe well. I picked up the lime to try out the performance, and it was quite good, and the lime smell masked whatever the other smell was pretty well.

One thing I love is the 5 1/4 inch CD tins that were used for the HTGAM. I really like making lather in a nice, large tin, and I'd like to see that from more soapers.

Do the Phoenix soaps offer a large tin like that? Are they more like the HTGAM (glycerin) soaps, or the PPF ones?

I suspect my local brick & mortar will carry the Phoenix line. I have enough soaps to choke a grown elephant, but maybe it's worth checking out, especially if they have a nice sandalwood.

22 835
 04-05-2015, 04:10 PM
User Info
(04-05-2015, 03:56 PM)chamm Wrote: Onto the quality of the soaps:

I've only tried PPF Cider House #8 and HTGAM Lime. Both were outstanding performers. I really enjoyed the appley scent of the PPF, but did not care much for the scent of any of the HTGAM I smelled in the store. They all had an "after-smell" that was... off... in a way I can't really describe well. I picked up the lime to try out the performance, and it was quite good, and the lime smell masked whatever the other smell was pretty well.

One thing I love is the 5 1/4 inch CD tins that were used for the HTGAM. I really like making lather in a nice, large tin, and I'd like to see that from more soapers.

Do the Phoenix soaps offer a large tin like that? Are they more like the HTGAM (glycerin) soaps, or the PPF ones?

I suspect my local brick & mortar will carry the Phoenix line. I have enough soaps to choke a grown elephant, but maybe it's worth checking out, especially if they have a nice sandalwood.

Craig, I got the small tin, but they do offer the large ones too.  The Sandalwood soap is different in appearance than those I bought from HTGAM. The Sandalwood is all white, a semi-soft soap. This is the only PPF soap for me so far. I had several from HTGAM, and they were clear yellow, once I broke through the white coating that was on top. I'm like you, I've got too many, and want to thin down as soon as I can find a small group of creams and soaps that work best for me. (I'll never get there, but I keep telling myself it's possible).

24 1,226
 04-06-2015, 08:45 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
(04-05-2015, 03:15 PM)brothers Wrote: Something's seriously wrong? I can't post about a product that I bought, and like?
You certainly can!  It only shows that TSN has not been spared by the "morally righteous."  You can bet that a sandalwood lover will make use of your information.

1 796
 04-06-2015, 03:35 PM
  • TML4EVR
  • Toronto, Ontario
User Info
(04-05-2015, 03:56 PM)chamm Wrote: They all had an "after-smell" that was... off... in a way I can't really describe well. I picked up the lime to try out the performance, and it was quite good, and the lime smell masked whatever the other smell was pretty well.

I've noticed this also, I found it very off-putting in the Lime version, but not as prevalent in the Beach scent. I wonder if PAA's new soaps have the scent, both of the HTGAM soaps I've owned we the version 1/1.5 formulation.

1 24
 04-06-2015, 03:56 PM
User Info
According to PAA, the version they sell now could be considered 2.5. I bought a couple -- Dirt and Dapper Doc -- and I like them better than my old Synergy soaps. I like the scents and I think they have an improved post-shave feel.

3 784
 04-06-2015, 04:03 PM
User Info
I had the previous branded Frostbyte and Cavendish, also Cedar Lavender and briefly, Coconut Bay, which I didn't care for. I didn't notice the after-smell, but my nose misses a lot. Since Harris introduced their Sandalwood soap, I've been exploring others, AOS tallow and Taylor's, specifically. Then when I got the PAA Sandalwood, it seems to be a clear and pure fragrance, not too far from the Harris, which has a sweetness that PAA does not seem to have. (Just my attempt at describing scents, which is not something I am well-known for.) Taylor's and AOS Sandalwoods (all of which I really like) seem to have more of the traditional cologne theme, which PAA does not have in my opinion. 

24 1,226
 04-06-2015, 09:24 PM
User Info
I think the original Synergy formula has a different smell because of the butters and oils chosen for the base formula. It is definitely noticeable, funky smelling and would agree on the comment of the lime soap aove. It was just weird and off butting. Other than that, I actually like the base soap smell for whatever reason. It is not your average soapy smell and is a pleasant smell to me.

I don't have the sandalwood soap from PAA but I have the PAA sandalwood AS splash and it is a nice scent. I like sandalwoods but don't love them. They are just not something I chase and usually prefer a mix of sandalwood and something sweet. My favorites are Panna Crema San Francesco and Cyril R Salter Indian Sandalwood. But after getting the PAA sandalwod splash, I was surprised how much I liked it. I had actually used it like 3 or 4 days in a row.

81 1,368
 04-06-2015, 09:46 PM
User Info
(04-06-2015, 09:24 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: I think the original Synergy formula has a different smell because of the butters and oils chosen for the base formula. It is definitely noticeable, funky smelling and would agree on the comment of the lime soap aove. It was just weird and off butting. Other than that, I actually like the base soap smell for whatever reason. It is not your average soapy smell and is a pleasant smell to me.

The ingredients list was made up for the first one-- that was part of the controversy. It is possible it is your mind playing tricks on you. I admit when I read ingredients labels or reviews it may give me bias. Subconsciously even.

18 713
 04-07-2015, 05:08 AM
User Info

Gary,
I appreciate your feedback and I am sure that the majority of our fellow Nook members do as well. Keep it up.  Thumbsup

39 3,948
 04-07-2015, 08:02 AM
User Info
(04-06-2015, 09:46 PM)fram773 Wrote: The ingredients list was made up for the first one-- that was part of the controversy. It is possible it is your mind playing tricks on you. I admit when I read ingredients labels or reviews it may give me bias. Subconsciously even.

I was under the impression that the ingredients from earlier batches were the same but Douglas chose not to list them in order of most used to least.

To your other post, Fran is making a majority of the soap for PAA and Douglas works on the other items.

81 1,368