04-05-2015, 06:45 AM
User Info
Happy Easter everyone. I'm searching for my first slant razor and am interested in hearing pros or cons between the Merkurs or iKons. These are the two I've read mostly about but I can't decide if one would fit my needs better than the other.

I would describe my beard as average and I seldom have any irritation using my daily EJ89. The recurring theme I seem to read about with slants is blade alignment so I would like something rather fool proof if that exists.

Thanks for any help or suggestions....

0 27
 04-05-2015, 06:58 AM
User Info
I would get the Merkur slant.

Also, there have been numerous posts on slants, search the forum for these. It should give you a good idea what to expect.

Philipp

21 1,175
 04-05-2015, 07:27 AM
User Info
I've tried the 37c in a passaround and I own the iKon 102. Both are great razors, but I personally find no real difference between a slant and a generic DE razor. I get great shaves with both, but I prefer my Merkur 34HD. I personally think the whole slant thing is overrated (IMO).

22 653
 04-05-2015, 10:43 AM
User Info
Its expensive but I might suggest you start and stop with the ATT S1 head and use one of your handles or buy the whole razor. Excellent product, foolproof loading of the blade and an excellent shave. Efficient yet smooth and "mild". Like it better than the S2 which is open comb. Or buy a Lutz which is on the Bay every week with a NOS Solingen head. The best slant head ever produced, IMO.

51 315
 04-05-2015, 10:50 AM
User Info
(04-05-2015, 07:27 AM)Starkicker Wrote: I've tried the 37c in a passaround and I own the iKon 102. Both are great razors, but I personally find no real difference between a slant and a generic DE razor. I get great shaves with both, but I prefer my Merkur 34HD. I personally think the whole slant thing is overrated (IMO).

It eludes me, too. Any normal razor that is used in slant mode should do the exact same. Too much is focused on products and not on technique

21 1,175
 04-05-2015, 11:23 AM
User Info
(04-05-2015, 10:50 AM)Bibbelmann Wrote:
(04-05-2015, 07:27 AM)Starkicker Wrote: I've tried the 37c in a passaround and I own the iKon 102. Both are great razors, but I personally find no real difference between a slant and a generic DE razor. I get great shaves with both, but I prefer my Merkur 34HD. I personally think the whole slant thing is overrated (IMO).

It eludes me, too. Any normal razor that is used in slant mode should do the exact same. Too much is focused on products and not on technique

Have to agree, I use a slant more for the variety than any other reason. I've used the ATT, and have the IKon and Shavecraft 102. All good razors but not necessarily better than a conventional head. 
If you want to try one, the Shavecraft 102 is a good choice. Perfect blade alignment every time and it provides a very comfortable shave with good results.

44 486
 04-05-2015, 12:06 PM
User Info
I have had both the Merkur and the IKon 102. Between the 2 the IKon was my fav. 

147 3,461
 04-05-2015, 12:20 PM
User Info
I've had both - the Merkur and the iKon. In my opinion, the iKon was overpriced and pretty useless - too mild and no real effect of the slant head. It is beautiful though, and I kept it around for a while because it looked so nice. Eventually, I got rid of it. The Merkur slants are more efficient and smoother (and cheaper). 

Of the two, I'd suggest the Merkur. Still, this is a personal thing. Freddie likes the iKon - and he's right; Al thinks Slants are hype - and he's right, and I prefer the Merkur - and I'm right. We all have individual tastes and faces and hair, and each of us experiences the same items in different ways. 

Only you'll be able to figure out which Slant is better for you. 

37 1,743
 04-05-2015, 01:45 PM
User Info
I would give the Ikon 102 a try, I really enjoy mine. They show up in the B/S/T on a regualr basis...

3 78
 04-05-2015, 05:37 PM
User Info
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your suggestions and advice!

0 27
 04-05-2015, 08:21 PM
User Info
I used the ATT S1 for about a week. It's a great razor but I had issues getting consistent whisker reduction, especially along the jaw line. The ATT razor system is very high quality and with 8 plates there's something for everybody, but in my opinion the slant doesn't work significantly better than a non-slant. The ATT system is a bit expensive if you re just experimenting though. While I have no experience with either of the razors you're asking about, I've seen plenty of love for both on the forums. I've also seen some pretty awful examples of poor customer service for one of those companies that would make my think twice about giving them any of my money.

9 329
 04-06-2015, 12:17 AM
User Info
(04-05-2015, 10:43 AM)zeppelinkarte Wrote: Its expensive but I might suggest you start and stop with the ATT S1 head and use one of your handles or buy the whole razor. Excellent product, foolproof loading of the blade and an excellent shave. Efficient yet smooth and "mild". Like it better than the S2 which is open comb. Or buy a Lutz which is on the Bay every week with a NOS Solingen head. The best slant head ever produced, IMO.

I totally agree about the Lutz, a buddy I worked with let me borrow his and I loved it, I already had the Merkur 37c or I would buy one myself, I like the fact that it has a mild and aggressive side.

8 264
 04-06-2015, 02:29 PM
User Info
I own six razors and four are slants.  2 of those are Razorock and 2 are Ikon.  My favorite of the bunch is the original Ikon slant.  They all give a great shave but I love the audio feedback that the Ikon gives.  I've tried the Merkurs.  I didn't care for the larger one.  The 37 was good but I prefer all of the ones that I own.  I personally do find a difference between a slant shave and a regular but YMMV.

95 193
 04-06-2015, 02:35 PM
User Info
Me, I would first try the Merkur 37C. Your investment is limited and you can see if you a) like a slant b) get a better result c) hone your technique. JMO.

39 3,875
 04-06-2015, 02:44 PM
User Info
Sometimes visiting TSN's Swap & Shop/Vendor News can make certain decisions easier.

9 329
 04-06-2015, 06:25 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(04-05-2015, 06:45 AM)flrubi Wrote: Happy Easter everyone.  I'm searching for my first slant razor and am interested in hearing pros or cons between the Merkurs or iKons. These are the two I've read mostly about but I can't decide if one would fit my needs better than the other.  

I would describe my beard as average and I seldom have any irritation using my daily EJ89.  The recurring theme I seem to read about with slants is blade alignment so I would like something rather fool proof if that exists.  

A common Rookie Mistake is the confusion between brands and types.  Is a Cadillac better than a Lexus?  It depends upon which Cadillac you are comparing to which Lexus.  If you are comparing only the brands, you could end up comparing a nine-passenger SUV to a two-seater sports coupe.  

Merkur makes one basic slant.  In the iKon range, the original Stainless (and its variants DLC and B1) are -- like the Merkur -- "torquing" slants that twist the blades when the parts are screwed together.  But the iKon Shavecraft 102 does not torque the blade at all:  it is simply a mechanical way for the shaver easily to achieve the "Gillette Glide" technique of pulling a vanilla solid bar razor across the face obliquely. 

IOW, the Merkur slant has much more in common with the iKon Stainless Slant than it does with the Shavecraft 102; and the iKon Stainless Slant has much less in common with the iKon Shavecraft 102 than it does with the Merkur slant.

0 1,049
 04-06-2015, 06:45 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(04-05-2015, 06:45 AM)flrubi Wrote: Happy Easter everyone.  I'm searching for my first slant razor and am interested in hearing pros or cons between the Merkurs or iKons. These are the two I've read mostly about but I can't decide if one would fit my needs better than the other.  

I would describe my beard as average and I seldom have any irritation using my daily EJ89.  The recurring theme I seem to read about with slants is blade alignment so I would like something rather fool proof if that exists.  

A common Rookie Mistake is the confusion between brands and types.  Is a Cadillac better than a Lexus?  It depends upon which Cadillac you are comparing to which Lexus.  If you are comparing only the brands, you could end up comparing a nine-passenger SUV to a two-seater sports coupe.  

Merkur makes one basic slant.  In the iKon range, the original Stainless (and its variants DLC and B1) are -- like the Merkur -- "torquing" slants that twist the blades when the parts are screwed together.  But the iKon Shavecraft 102 does not torque the blade at all:  it is simply a mechanical way for the shaver easily to achieve the "Gillette Glide" technique of pulling a vanilla solid bar razor across the face obliquely. 

IOW, the Merkur slant has much more in common with the iKon Stainless Slant than it does with the Shavecraft 102; and the iKon Stainless Slant has much less in common with the iKon Shavecraft 102 than it does with the Merkur slant.

0 1,049