04-05-2015, 07:54 AM
User Info
Hey Guys,

I'm not typically a coffee drinker; the odd time I do have coffee, it's usually from Tim Hortons and it makes my stomach churn. Over the weekend, I had some coffee at my cousins place made with a french press. I really liked it and am now considering getting a french press for my own home.

What do you guys recommend as a good beginner french press? I have no concept of coffee roasts, etc other than what i've gleaned from a few threads on this sub. 

Is there a store I should check out (preferably online as I live in the middle of nowhere) that ships to Canada? What should I avoid when purchasing a french press and associated equipment? I'm probably going to stick with supermarket blends for the time being until I decide what I like, etc.

Thanks!

Hussein

22 653
 04-05-2015, 08:13 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
Bodum makes the best french press. Thick glass which will help keep the coffee hot. Coarse grind is used for French press. French Press is the way I got hooked. Welcome to the long road looking for the ultimate cup of coffee . Not unlike looking for the perfect shave.

68 1,046
 04-05-2015, 09:28 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
We got our Bodum coffee press at the Salvation Army of all places new and in the box. We also use auto drip coffee makers and an old fashioned plug in peculator. Personally I don't see too much difference in the way the coffee tastes if the same coffee is used in all three. I think it really depends on finding a blend you like more than anything else. 
You do know that not liking Timmys coffee is grounds, pun intended, for the revoking your Canadian citizenship. Biggrin  

Bob

0 1,694
 04-05-2015, 12:32 PM
User Info
If you're just starting out into coffee making, I will suggest getting the Aeropress (look for it on Amazon). It is really easy to use, easy to clean and offers you French Press-like coffee for a low price. 

The down side is that it makes just one cup of coffee at a time. Still, it's really quite good. 

37 1,743
 04-05-2015, 01:33 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(04-05-2015, 12:32 PM)yohannrjm Wrote: If you're just starting out into coffee making, I will suggest getting the Aeropress (look for it on Amazon). It is really easy to use, easy to clean and offers you French Press-like coffee for a low price. 

The down side is that it makes just one cup of coffee at a time. Still, it's really quite good. 

Signs011  I agree with Yohann.  Even I can make very nice coffee with the Aeropress.  There is a short video on how to use it on their site.  See here: http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm.  If you go to Amazon, you can read reviews.  See here: http://www.amazon.com/Aeropress-Coffee-a...B0047BIWSK.

2 11,211
 04-05-2015, 04:35 PM
User Info
We use the Espro, it's a little expensive but makes an awesome pot of coffee, and has a very fine filter so no grounds making into your cup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 202
 04-06-2015, 11:28 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
I've tried several and Bodum is the best one. They last years unless you shatter the glass. Smile

17 535
 04-06-2015, 12:10 PM
User Info
I have two Frieling Stainless presses. They are a bit pricey compared to the base model glass ones, but they are really great.

1 108
 04-20-2015, 11:01 AM
User Info
Thanks guys. I happened to stop in at a Starbucks and they had a press for only $22. It's a Bodum of some kind. I'm still trying to figure out how many scoops of grounds to how much water is the right mix, but so far each cup of coffee has been great. I bought a package of their (Starbucks) Willow roast. 

I love this thing!

22 653
 04-20-2015, 02:51 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
 07-10-2015, 04:25 AM
User Info
Before going Espresso (and completely bonkers) I had many years of French Press.
At coffeegeek there is a nice introduction how to brew FP.

Coffee making your stomach hurt is a sign of too much acid in it. Supermarket coffee is usually roasted short (and hot) to have a lot of product to sell.

Go seek smaller producers which care to roast longer to keep the acid low.
I could name lots of decent makers this side of the pond which will not help you presumably in the U.S.
Smaller producers hopefully will offer fresher roasts which will have a lot more aromatic oils and taste.
Supermarket coffee usually is many months old (and dead).
Coffeegeek and other forums will help you finding a decent roaster for FP coffees.

And do not forget: the mill is important.
Get a grinder, not something with rotating blades.
Going from a KitchenAid to a Mazzer Mini many years ago was clearly an improvement in taste here.

Bodum: look for the Columbia FP.
It is a stainless steel version with thermo function and nice design.

0 155