04-05-2015, 12:34 PM
User Info
I noticed barbers wipe their straight edge razors while other non professionals rinse. Is there a preferred way and why. I started wiping and it helped me keep a better grip on the razor.

6 161
 04-05-2015, 04:29 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
The key is, if you are going to rinse, just rinse the blade.  Do not get water near the pin.  I always rinsed but wiped my  blade on a towel before making the next pass.

175 23,752
 04-05-2015, 11:04 PM
User Info
Grout sponge with a folded wash cloth towel. When I first started I use to wipe it on my forearm which worked well but the sponge it easier and safer.

79 1,296
 04-06-2015, 03:37 AM
User Info
(04-05-2015, 11:04 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: Grout sponge with a folded wash cloth towel. When I first started I use to wipe it on my forearm which worked well but the sponge it easier and safer.

This is interesting.  Grout sponge is large enough so it won't move.

6 161
 04-06-2015, 04:09 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I use a damp sponge to wipe the lather off the blade in a stropping motion. After the final swipe on the sponge I give it a quick rinse under some running tape water. While rinsing under running tap water I hold the blade by the tang at the stabilize which keeps water from getting on the tang or into the pivot. The less I put the blade under running water the less chance of dinging it in the tap. This is the setup I use.

Bob

[Image: Sponge-2_zpsff4c1be0.jpg]

0 1,694
 04-06-2015, 06:17 AM
User Info
When I was at Mastro Livi's workshop he suggested running razor under hot water for a bit then wiping dry with a cloth. 
Works a treat for my blades. 

8 244
 04-12-2015, 04:55 AM
User Info
As far as barbers go, I'd say that has a lot to do with time/efficiency and set up.  Most barbers I've been to don't have sinks at their work station. And, for those that do, it would add noticeable more time to the shave if they went to the sink, turned the water on, rinsed the blade, turned the water off, then stepped back over to the customer every time they had to clean the blade.  For a barber, time is money. And so is good customer service (e.g. not holding up the customer any longer than is necessary).

That said, I too am a towel guy...

Throughout the shave I wipe the straight on a small hand towel.  When I'm done I give it one rinse under running water, then a final wipe.  Leaves far less mess in the sink (e.g. cut hairs)... reduces the chance of my fingers getting wet (e.g. slippery grip)... almost eliminates the opportunity for water to get in around the pivot pin... and, most important of all (to me), it greatly reduces the chance of catching the edge on the faucet and putting a nick/chip in it.

3 147
 04-12-2015, 05:40 AM
User Info
(04-05-2015, 04:29 PM)Johnny Wrote: The key is, if you are going to rinse, just rinse the blade.  Do not get water near the pin.  I always rinsed but wiped my  blade on a towel before making the next pass.

+1. I always do it that way.

0 563