04-06-2015, 03:07 AM
  • HarryO
  • FLA, USA.
User Info
Just wondering how many of you use Pure Shea Butter? How and when do you use it? What has been the results?  Think most guys use it as a facial moisturizer. Is it used before bed, or after shaving , or both? 
Looking to  be educated, thanks for your input.
Have a good one.

21 463
 04-06-2015, 03:09 AM
User Info
nobody using it...Biggrin

Ok Smile  http://shavenook.com/thread-unrefined-or...hea+butter

It ´s great stuff!
If you spend some time here..., in my case: use shea butter, tallow based soaps and the right blades: these are big changes taking place

Have a good one, Harry!

21 1,175
 04-06-2015, 11:41 AM
User Info
(04-06-2015, 03:07 AM)HarryO Wrote: Just wondering how many of you use Pure Shea Butter? How and when do you use it? What has been the results?  Think most guys use it as a facial moisturizer. Is it used before bed, or after shaving , or both? 
Have a good one.

shea butter is incredibly versatile and can be used in so many different applications. my wife uses shea butter every single day when she gets out of the shower. I wash my hair and face with an African black soap that is mixed with shea butter.

my neighbor is from Ghana and just gave us a batch of unrefined shea butter that they had sent over from Africa. My neighbor's husband is returning from Ghana sometime this week and will probably have some more shea butter and black soap for us. I'm excited.

40 5,830
 04-06-2015, 02:47 PM
User Info
I use it in the evening as a moisturiser, its greasy and only a little is needed. Good stuff though and very cheap.

0 37
 04-07-2015, 02:50 PM
User Info
(04-06-2015, 03:09 AM)Bibbelmann Wrote: nobody using it...Biggrin
Ok Smile  http://shavenook.com/thread-unrefined-or...hea+butter

It ´s great stuff!
If you spend some time here..., in my case: use shea butter, tallow based soaps and the right blades: these are big changes taking place

Have a good one, Harry!

Biggrin

83 21,078
 04-13-2015, 06:22 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
I use it post shave recently, as well as later in the day if I have a chafed neck ( due to wearing a tie ). Using a minimal amount is perfect-it goes a long way

19 742
 04-14-2015, 08:22 PM
User Info
I mix a half almond size in my hands using a dab of DR Harris Pink after shave, which is VERY mild, this makes it easier to distribute the thick dense Shea butter cream onto regions of my face.

24 5,971
 04-16-2015, 07:56 AM
User Info
Does Shea Butter have a scent or is it neutral in that sense? 

9 202
 04-16-2015, 08:03 AM
User Info
There is a mild nutty aroma. If you ever see a whole shea nut, it's the size of a coconut! Here in NYC, I see street vendors from time to time with the whole nuts opened, revealing the large quantity of raw butter inside.

8 917
 04-16-2015, 08:20 AM
User Info
(04-16-2015, 08:03 AM)Rory1262 Wrote: There is a mild nutty aroma. If you ever see a whole shea nut, it's the size of a coconut! Here in NYC, I see street vendors from time to time with the whole nuts opened, revealing the large quantity of raw butter inside.
Thanks for the info. I will have to do some hunting this weekend and see if I can locate some shea butter. I live in a small community with only one natural food/health store so I'll check there before searching online.

9 202
 04-16-2015, 09:20 AM
User Info
(04-16-2015, 08:03 AM)Rory1262 Wrote: There is a mild nutty aroma. 

+1 I find the scent quite pleasant, but some might not. I know my son doesn't like it, at all!  Biggrin

83 21,078
 04-22-2015, 07:42 PM
User Info
You can use it post shaving, it actually is decent for your skin. I use a mix of shea butter and coco butter and it makes my skin soft and smell pleasant.

0 7
 04-22-2015, 09:46 PM
User Info
(04-14-2015, 08:22 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I mix a half almond size in my hands using a dab of DR Harris Pink after shave, which is VERY mild, this makes it easier to distribute the thick dense Shea butter cream onto regions of my face.

Use it everyday  in a similar fashion. Aftershave splash (let that dry down), then shea butter, and another aftershave splash to distribute the Shea butter more closely on my face. Very good postshave Smile

21 1,175
 06-24-2015, 06:43 AM
User Info
(04-16-2015, 08:03 AM)Rory1262 Wrote: There is a mild nutty aroma. If you ever see a whole shea nut, it's the size of a coconut! Here in NYC, I see street vendors from time to time with the whole nuts opened, revealing the large quantity of raw butter inside.

Sorry, but that's not the shea nut, it's a calabash gourd container filled with shea butter.  Shea "nuts" are actually a big seed inside a fruit that's about the size of a fresh fig.  The butter has to be processed from the nuts, it's not something that you crack and scoop out.

0 280
 06-24-2015, 07:52 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Another excellent product is virgin coconut oil.

2 3,171
 07-26-2015, 12:38 PM
  • jjfar
  • Young priest in a big parish
  • North Carolina
User Info
I have some Kerite .
That has Shea butter,also a great soap

49 519
 07-26-2015, 01:08 PM
User Info
I keep it stocked. Currently have the regular and the wife just had me order the Grapefruit scented. It's used as post shave on occasion and replaced all body lotion we used to buy. Can't go wrong with it!

147 3,539
 09-29-2015, 06:30 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
I am glad to see this thread come up. I haven't been around here in a while and since I'm still in the neighborhood, I wanted to tell everyone about my new found joy to add to my routine. Here goes:  After seeing Celestino's many posts touting the benefits of shea butter I ran across a vendor in the French Market here in New Orleans. He had nice sized tubs for $5.00. I said what the heck, Celestino is a learned wet shaver. Perhaps he is on to something.. And I pulled the trigger... It doesn't take much to do it's job, but for me it has changed forever my wetshave routine. As always after shaving I splash on some witch hazel. Then with wet fingertips I rub the shea butter and apply a small amount to my face. When I apply my aftershave the alcohol seems to melt the shea butter even more, and it seems to spread more smoothly. I know Celestino is not an aftershave kinda guy, but I am. The AS definitely aids spreading the butter. My face/skin feels GREAT !!! I often skip days shaving and I can still feel the effects for several days even with washing my face and showering daily.... I am SOLD on the stuff.... Mr. Celestino was right all along! I am lucky to have found a ready and cheap source of the stuff even though at the rate you use it, my tub should last well into my 60's.....lol

5 1,151
 09-29-2015, 08:18 PM
User Info
I start with a cold water rinse after shaving, followed by witch hazel to clean up any soap residue, then an alcohol based splash, then I apply a very light coat of unrefined Shea butter. This works for me and my skin feels great all day.

8 845
 09-29-2015, 08:42 PM
User Info
(04-06-2015, 03:07 AM)HarryO Wrote: Just wondering how many of you use Pure Shea Butter? How and when do you use it? What has been the results?  Think most guys use it as a facial moisturizer. Is it used before bed, or after shaving , or both? 
Have a good one.

I keep both unrefined and refined shea butter but I don't use it by itself. I make body butter for my wife and family. It is really easy to make if you are interested and my wife loves it. Of course you can also just rub it on plain and it will work very well. I can't stand the smell of the unrefined so I add essential oil to the whipped butter for a nice scent that my wife can enjoy.

13 947