04-06-2015, 09:28 AM
User Info
There seems currently a lot of fascination with MdC.  I just got two 1/2 oz samples (original & fogure) from Garry's Sample Shop and reported on my first shave with the original yesterday.  It was good, but not fabulous, so I thought that I'd try it again today.  And since MdC is reputed to be frugal in terms of amount used, why not see if I can get a week's usage out of the sample? I have acquired a lot of samples and BST soaps recently, so that other than using TOBS continuously for a two-week long trip, I have been using a different soap each day, so this will be an opportunity for me to see how my opinions of a soap change (or not) over a week of continuous use but with various hardware.  So here goes, with a recap of the first two days.

Sunday: SOC 2-band badger, ATT R1, Astra SP (3rd day): To recap from a n earlier posting:
Quote: I enjoyed the scent as pleasant, but not especially strong.  I used my SOC 2-band badger, wrung it out, and did about 20 seconds of loading and then face lathered.  I got plenty of rich lather for 3+ passes, and the lather stayed a good density throughout.  The lather did not feel fatty and especially cushioning like most good tallow-based soaps, but my ATT R2 seemed to glide fine and the shave was smooth.  One small weeper from a previous "wound".  The soap washed off easily (I did not use any post shave treatment in order to evaluate the feel).  After drying, the skin felt smooth, but didn't seem to have the softness of some other soaps (e.g. Wickham, SV, CRSW, Strop Shop).  I don't get much of an urge to facerbate.

Monday:  Omega 10066, ATT M2, Astra SP (3rd day):  Loaded under 20 seconds.  Face lathered, dipping brush in water a few times.  Rich lather enough for 3+ passes.  Lather felt a little more cushioning today.  Good glide.  3 pass+ BSS with no nicks or weepers.  Skin feels smooth, very little irritation, not dry, but not especially soft.  Better post shave feel than yesterday, but still not up to some others. May add some ASB later. More positive on the  MdC today.

4 100
 04-07-2015, 08:59 AM
User Info
   Tuesday: Omega 10049, EJ Kelvin, Personna Lab (3rd day):  Loaded 11 seconds. Face lathered, dipping brush in water a few times.  Lather rich, but not as thick.   I decided to load this big boar brush for less time and still got 3+ passes, but not as much left over to squeeze out.  Seemed more drying today on the face.  Close shave with lots of touching up.  No irritation. Skin is smooth, but feels (and sounds) a little dryer.

4 100
 04-07-2015, 09:40 AM
User Info
Enjoy the week with the soap!  Thumbsup

82 21,056
 04-08-2015, 04:08 PM
User Info
    Wednesday: L'Occitane Plisson synthetic, ATT Colossus R1 (New Persona Lab): Loaded for 20 seconds. The Plisson gives a soft, luxurious face lather (3+ shaves).  Lather was rich and a little thicker.  I  got about 5 nicks/good weepers.  That seems to happen when I use the Labs in the ATT, expecially on the ATG passes.  Let's see if the second day with it is any better tomorrow.  Maybe partly less cushioning by the MDC.  Glide seems good.  Smooth skin, but again, not moist.  I'll have to see if that moisturizing finish comes back when I use a tallow soap (maybe CRSW) after this week is over.  So far, the MdC is giving good close shaves, but nothing exceptional.

4 100
 04-09-2015, 03:15 PM
User Info
    Thursday:  Shaved this afternoon after a morning hike.  Looking in the mirror today, I noticed three apparent nicks healing on my face. I didn't realize how much carnage I had inflicted the past couple of days, after getting off to a good start.  The combination of my Colossus R2 with a new Personna lab has gotten me before, so I don't know if what seems to me to be a lack of cushioning by the MdC has contributed to this or not.
    Lathered for about 20 seconds with my Omega 10066.  Good lather, but not as copious as before.  I  was in a hurry, and barely got 3 passes out of it.  I used the R2 but with the short handle from my EJ Kelvin thinking it wouldn't apply a lot of leverage and give the face a rest.  Tried to avoid opening the previous wounds and succeeded.  Mostly avoided ATG on face. Didn't feel as slick and felt more drying than previous MdC shaves.  Shave was smooth, but face still not feeling moisturized afterwards,

4 100
 04-10-2015, 09:50 PM
User Info
     Friday:   I shaved today in the late afternoon prior to going to a wine tasting.  I mention this because I wanted to be careful not to add any red blood to the red wine (California Syrahs) that we would be tasting (yuk).  Actually I was careful not to have my face look bad.  Lathered as usual with my SOC 2-band badger.  Used my ATT Colossus R1 with a 3 day old Personna lab.  Did 2 ++ passes.  I avoided ATG above my lip, but 3+passes elsewhere.  The lather felt slick and I had a squeeky clean (actually made squeeking noises rubbing my hand across my wet face) shave.  Initially my face again felt pretty dry, but after 1/2 hour I rubbed in some Nivea original ASB.  Once this was absorbed, I felt an BSB everywhere besides the area above my mouth where I skipped ATG. 
      After 6 shaves with the 1/2 oz sample of MdC I'm of the opinion that:
         1) I'll have plenty of the Mdc for not only the 7th shave of the week, but I'll have enough left over to PIF to a couple of friends
          2) I'm getting very close shave with the MdC
           3) My skin isn't moisturized by the MdC, but with some post shave additions, I can make up for this.
            4) I'll have to use some tallow-based  soaps for comparisons.

Last MdC shave tomorrow.

4 100
 04-11-2015, 01:03 AM
User Info
Gary, the dryness issue you are having with MdC is the very reason I tried, and sold, my MdC. Sure, it lathers well, but that's down to the coconut oil which is also the culprit for the drying.
Moving on to a soap like CRSW Select will be totally different. After just one shave, you'll notice the difference. Chalk and cheese.

31 5,277
 04-11-2015, 07:23 AM
User Info
    David, six shaves in to the MdC, I very much agree with you.  I've been recalling (accurately or not) the feel of my tallow soaps.  Tomorrow, I'll test that recall.  One thing that surprised me is that I'm beginning to agree some with the MdC fan boys who aren't concerned with the dryness issue (or at least lack of moisturizing) because they make it up with a post shave treatment.  I was feeling along the lines of "why bother"?  But yesterday's shave was so close and the Nivea ASB seemed to help enough, that I'll have to see the tallow-soap performance which I expect to combine slickness, protectiveness (for me missing with MdC) and post shave moisturizing (again a minus for MdC).  Can I have it all?

4 100
 04-11-2015, 10:04 AM
User Info
   Saturday: This completes my week with the 1/2 oz sample of original scent MdC I got from Garry's Sample Shop.  After 7 shaves I still have plenty left to PIF to a couple of friends to try this famous soap.  While the samples were expensive, the soap definitely lasts. I'm not able to see the bottom of the bowl that I pressed it into, so I'm figuring at least 5-6 more out of this.  Before I ordered from Garry, I had thought about just getting the original, but then doubled my order with the Fougere.  Right now, I'm thinking I could have learned all I need from just the one sample, but I guess I'll save the Fougere for a time down the road.

Today's shave was lathered by my big old Omega 49.  I soaked it for about 10 min, wrung it out, and loaded for about 20 seconds.  Again, I face lathered and had lots for 3+ passes.  Pretty slick, long-lasting lather.  Protection seemed a little better today. I used my ATT M2 with the Personna lab, now on it's 4th day, and used the short handle from my EJ Kelvin.  Nice smooth shave all over, including ATG passes above my lip that I omitted yesterday. 

Post shave, my face feels smooth, not dry (but not soft and moisturized feeling either). The MdC rinses off the face and the razor very easily, leaving everything clean.  I'll apply some ASB soon to add some moisture.  I enjoy the feel of rubbing my face with my hand (sorry to admit that).

So, after a full week of shaves with MdC, I have to say that I'm a little more impressed by it than I thought I'd be.  It consistently met my (high) expectations for ease & quality of lathering and longevity of the soap (and the lather on my face throughout the shave.  It was also slick.  It also seemed to have less cushioning of the blade, but I think my lather got a little thicker as I dialed it in over the course of the week.  It also met me relatively low expectations with respect to moisturizing. However my opinion on this as a liability has changed somewhat by the fact that post shave the face feels smooth and clean, and the moisturizing can be supplemented by ASB.   I'll provide some more comments on this aspect tomorrow after I start a series of shaves with tallow-based soaps.

4 100
 04-12-2015, 08:22 AM
User Info
   A follow-up comparison:  Today (Sunday) I used Cold River Soap Works' American Barbershop.  Formula-wise it is very different from the MdC I used the entire past week. CRSW incluses raw organic goat milk, tallow, kokum butter, shea butter, and glycerin in additon to some other put oils vitamin e and tussah silk protein (whatever that is).  MdC is a vegetable soap with no added butters or glycerin.  If you followed my week of MdC, you know that one constant was that I felt the MdC didn't moisturize.  So what's my take on the return to tallow?
   I used my SOC 2-band badger, loading for 20 seconds.  Got very rich lather for 3+. Nice fresh scent.  I expected the lather to feel more fatty and cushioning. I can't say I felt that.  It was good and rich, but not noticeably thicker than the MdC.  Equally slick.  One very small weeper with my ATT and a new Bolzano blade.  This occurred on an ATG pass above my mouth, a common problem for me.  Otherwise a 3 pass + touch-up BBS.  The real difference today is the post shave feel.  Skin seems softer.  Very smooth, but a little more pliable. Don't feel the need for ASB.  I actually thought it would feel even more moisturized, but maybe that's too much to expect after a full week of MdC.  I'll have to try tallow soaps for a week & see how those go. Maybe I'll try a second day of CRSW then move on the Strop Shoppe!

4 100
 04-12-2015, 08:49 AM
User Info
Nicely written. Speaking of tallow and post shave, I suggest your next tallow soap be a Mystic Water.  Biggrin

39 3,868
 04-12-2015, 09:22 AM
User Info
I have some Mystic Water samples left.  So, I'll give one a try tomorrow.  It's been awhile since I used MW, but do remember they provided nice post shave feeling.  I also have with tallow some RazoRock, Wickham, Mike's samples, Cella, PannaCrema, Strop Shoppe tallow, and probably some others. 

4 100
 04-14-2015, 02:32 PM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
Not to discourage you at all with your journey on MdC, I wasn't a fan. It's YMMV thing and non tallow soaps dont always agree with me (but CB's and SC agree). I found that when I use tallow based ss my post shave was awesome. After I finished my 150g pot of MdC I wasn't going to repurchase due to inconsistent shaves. Great write up and read. Looking forward to the rest of your experiment.

10 963
 04-15-2015, 06:11 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
I purchased 2 jars of MDC at separate times & gave it a good try.

Presentation, provenance, ease of lathering, fragrance were all there. 

Shave protection & post-shave was lacking.

So off went my MDC

17 535