04-06-2015, 12:47 PM
  • HarryO
  • FLA, USA.
User Info
What are some of the better astringents to use to cut down on shaving irritation ? How do you use yours?

21 463
 04-06-2015, 02:48 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
Thayer's Original is a blend of witch hazel, aloe and a bit of alcohol.  It has no added scent and I use it as a post shave toner.  They have versions without alcohol if you like.

19 566
 04-06-2015, 03:15 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I use alum block right after I rinse after the final pass. I rub it all over the shaved area and it takes care of little cuts if any. I leave it on while I clean up the razor, bowl, put away soap (but keep the brush with whatever soap is left in it). After I am done cleaning I rinse the alum with cold water and what's left in the brush, dry my face and apply some Thayers alcohol-free witch hazel and leave it in. Leaves my skin feeling great. I do not use aftershave of any kind other than witch hazel. Worked for me for the past three years or so and I see no reason to alter this.

26 1,739
 04-07-2015, 12:53 AM
User Info
Alum is the hands down best for my face - I'll run it over my neck regardless of having gotten any nicks, and I do believe that is part of the reason I don't have any shaving rash no more.

Thayers Witch Hazel is also good, but I find myself using it more as an aftershave than an astringent.

3 4,483