04-06-2015, 01:30 PM
  • okok
  • Still smiling
  • Indianapolis
User Info
Guys, how long should we wait on a buyer to send payment before selling an item to the second buyer?  I don't want to be too short about it, but I don't want to miss a buyer due to what may be a (permanent) delay.  Any ideas?  Suggestions?

Gary  ( okok )

29 330
 04-06-2015, 01:40 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
Are we talking hours, days, or weeks here?

Typically, as a buyer, I would kindly ask a user if I needed more than an hour or two. Just common courtesy. There have been times where I might need a day or two, but I would not assume that was OK with the seller. I would get specific permission first.

As a seller, if someone agreed to buy something and hadn't paid me by the end of the day, I would shoot him or her a friendly note saying that I have another buyer, and if they couldn't reply with a status within a couple hours, I would sell it to the next person.

Of course, I don't keep these as hard and fast rules. I try to be nice, and if someone asked for more time, I'd probably be pretty liberal.

22 823
 04-06-2015, 01:41 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I give 24 hours or until I check that user's history and see that they have been online since I sent the payment instructions, but a minimum of a few hours is courteous unless they ask you permission for a delayed payment.  In today's age where everybody has technology all around them, if they are fast enough to snatch something just posted on the BST, they should be just as fast sending payment.

139 2,676
 04-06-2015, 01:43 PM
  • okok
  • Still smiling
  • Indianapolis
User Info
Good info guys - thanks!!

I just rec'd the payment in question, so I'm feeling better   Blush

29 330
 04-06-2015, 08:05 PM
User Info
Living on the other side of the world in a different time zone 1day seems reasonable to me. 

24 227
 04-07-2015, 05:44 AM
User Info
I agree with Gary. I'm not sure what venue we're talking about, but it might be a good idea to gently remind the buyer that others are waiting.

2 583
 04-09-2015, 12:58 PM
  • okok
  • Still smiling
  • Indianapolis
User Info
(04-06-2015, 08:05 PM)keithmax Wrote: Living on the other side of the world in a different time zone 1day seems reasonable to me. 

Good point, Keith.  Location should be taken into account - that makes sense.

29 330
 04-09-2015, 07:25 PM
  • ThomTT
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I am glad you waited!  I was reading this and realized it was me that took a little long.  As a buyer I should have included "I can PayPal you later this afternoon as I am stuck with the wife in NYC and trying to hide my razor addiction".  Or something along those lines, since I knew there might be a delay, lesson learned.  I try to give people the benefit of the doubt when selling online, phones die, work, family issues arise or in my case a "no phones rule" pretty much anytime we are together (especially while we are eating/having a cocktail).  Had to get a beer in her so I could get on PayPal when she went to the bathroom.

4 14
 04-09-2015, 07:38 PM
  • okok
  • Still smiling
  • Indianapolis
User Info
(04-09-2015, 07:25 PM)ThomTT Wrote: I am glad you waited!  I was reading this and realized it was me that took a little long.  As a buyer I should have included "I can PayPal you later this afternoon as I am stuck with the wife in NYC and trying to hide my razor addiction".  Or something along those lines, since I knew there might be a delay, lesson learned.  I try to give people the benefit of the doubt when selling online, phones die, work, family issues arise or in my case a "no phones rule" pretty much anytime we are together (especially while we are eating/having a cocktail).  Had to get a beer in her so I could get on PayPal when she went to the bathroom.

ThomTT, I wasn't criticizing you - frankly, I saw the uniform and thought, I bet he has more important things on his mind than this, and I'm glad he and his co-brethren are out there keeping our "azzez" safe tonight.  Also, I've found the great majority of people do what they say they'll do, and for the ones who don't, oh well.

Thanks again for your purchase, and let me know when it arrives - I honestly sweat it a bit until any item I sell arrives safely and meets the buyers hopes.

29 330