Poll: Which razor next (assuming costs don't matter)
Feather AS
Wilkinson Sticky iKon (specify which in thread) Other (specify in thread)
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
 06-10-2012, 10:45 AM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Wet shaving, as with anything, certainly comes with some preconceived notions. Higher price means a better product, higher grade hair means a better brush, and a more "aggressive" razors means a better shave. While I have only been wet shaving since the beginning of the year, I have kept a fairly steady flow of products coming into and out of my doors with the mind set of trying as much as I could. The last of my examples, aggressive razors outperforming the more mild counterparts, has led me on a particularly interesting journey with the end result surprising me.

I prefer mild razors.

There, I said it, it's out there. It may be because of my particular chemistry, I don't have the thickest beard for example, but I am more regularly pleased with my shaves with a mild razor, and have less irritation (if any) than with a more aggressive one.

I've been narrowing it down, and topping my list (in no particular order) would be:

Double Edge
  • Gillette Fatboy set at a 3
  • Gillette Tech
  • iKon OSS

Single Edge
  • GEM 1912

Now, I've tried a number of other razors, those who were following SE May know I went though the GEM OCMM, 1924, Damaskeene, EverReady shoveltop, and Valet, some of which had some miserable results. As for double edges I've worked my way though the Weber ARC, late 40's Aristocrat, Muhle R41, Merkur 25c, long handle Slant, and long comb NEW, which I feel to be a good representation of a majority of razors available.

So it has come down to four razors I actually enjoy using and which provide excellent shaves. So my question is now, what else is out there on the "mild" side. Mild razors seem to have less popularity, or maybe it's just that "aggressive" razors are all the hype. I know I would really love to try the Feather AS and a Wilkinson Sticky, as the reviews I have read lead me to believe I would love using them as well, but the prices are a bit preventative. I also have interest in other iKon models, but don't know as well how they compare with the OSS. I know the Muhle/EJ standard guard heads are more mild, but with my lack of satisfaction with the Weber head (which seems to have a very similar geometry) I'm hesitant.

I still have a couple more razors lined up to try, notable a Red Tip, an all stainless Black Tip, and a standard handle Slant. I actually enjoyed the long handled Slant's shave, but the length was too long for me. So my question is, what else is out there?

PS, sorry for the long post...

35 1,732
 06-10-2012, 10:53 AM
User Info
The Feather Popular is the mildest razor I own, and it won't break the bank either.

3 3,562
 06-10-2012, 11:00 AM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(06-10-2012, 10:53 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: The Feather Popular is the mildest razor I own, and it won't break the bank either.

I've looked at the Popular as well, but I'd be afraid it is too lightweight for what I like. I enjoy a nice hefty razor (OSS and Fatboy). However, for the price, I think it would certainly be worth picking up and trying out.

I think I will add in a poll actually for which razor is recommended.

35 1,732
 06-10-2012, 11:38 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
I can only vouch for the quality of shave with the *mild* EJ 89 head. It is a very pleasing shave!

It is a flexible razor that can use a iKON, or Tradere handle (or any other replacement handle) so it can be *customized* for a shave that best suits how much friction you can tolerate.

Pre-shave oil helps the *mild* head perform well in those sensitive areas (lip area, and neck for me) to get those hairs!

the Merkur 34cHD is a fine razor, but does not have the handle flexibility to customize the shave...

Anyone have a 33c , (3-piece right?)

9 1,684
 06-10-2012, 12:09 PM
User Info
I've tried a lot of razors, and with some (Fat Boy and Slim and other vintage Gillettes, Pils, early iKon, Mergress, Merkur HD) I did fine for the most part, while others (iKon OSS, Tradere, Joris - all open combs) I didn't tolerate. I have stuck with the Feather AS and Wilkinson Sticky because they consistently give me a good BBS shave without cuts or irritation, so long as I use really high quality vintage blades (Wilkinson Light Brigade, Schick Plus Platinum, Personna 74). The only reason I voted for the Sticky in your poll was because it is just very slightly milder and more forgiving, meaning I can even use modern blades such as Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellows in it. The Feather has a more solid, heftier feel, while the Sticky is lighter and more nimble. If you like milder razors, I think you would really appreciate either one. Although one is modern and the other old, both are extremely well made and durable.

184 12,002
 06-10-2012, 12:29 PM
User Info
I have a Merkur 33C. It's too mild for me as it requires me to do way too many passes and that leads to irritation. It is a traditional 3-piece DE. Maybe I should try it again, but then it might be better to just find a home for it where it will get used more.

31 7,912
 06-10-2012, 12:34 PM
User Info
In vintage any of the SuperSpeeds are about 2-3 on the Slim dial IMO.

I'm very surprised that you like the 1912, but what works, works. In SE, mild would be the GEM Featherweight or G-bar (Heavy Flat Top). From what I've heard the Pushbutton or is it a Clic? Whatever it's called, it's also mild.

32 6,309
 06-10-2012, 01:07 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
When I had the Feather AS I thought it was a great well made razor but very mild and not satisfying considering the high price. The OSS comes next as it was a mild razor but saved because of the open comb side.

100 12,439
 06-10-2012, 01:32 PM
User Info
My wet shaving learning curve started with a mild Mülhe R89 as my first razor, and gradually moved to the more aggressive ones in my search for the best shave. As my technique improved, I found that to achieve the same results I did not need the more aggressive razors. For me, getting that great close shave with a mild razor asks more of my hand and attention. Getting it with the more aggressive ones asks just for being carefull.

So I do prefer mild razors too.

As far as mild razors go, I love the British Aristocrat #66,and the #16 (a tad more aggressive) but they are becoming unreasonably expensive.

The Gillette Parat (Rocket for the german market) is also a very smooth shaver, and the britsih Flare Tip Rocket is probably is the mildest of the rockets. These should be easier to find at reasonable prices, and are very well built. Never tried a Blue Tip SS but supposedly it is also very mild.

The Wilky Sticky is mild and of great quality, but the Gillettes mentioned seem to have that plus of comfort (at least for me) and a good condition one can set you back more than you want to. Schick Kronas are also mild, but their shave sensation is not as refined as the Sticky.

You may also want to get a closer look at the Techs.
Techs have (off the top of my head) about four different heads. The most aggressive ones (within Tech limits) are those with the rhomboid holes in the base plates and the flat base british ones. They are cheap and easy to find so you can try to see which Tech head gives you your prefered shave.

As always, these are just my impressions.

0 68
 06-10-2012, 01:44 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
(06-10-2012, 11:00 AM)Tonality Wrote:
(06-10-2012, 10:53 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: The Feather Popular is the mildest razor I own, and it won't break the bank either.

I've looked at the Popular as well, but I'd be afraid it is too lightweight for what I like. I enjoy a nice hefty razor (OSS and Fatboy). However, for the price, I think it would certainly be worth picking up and trying out.

I think I will add in a poll actually for which razor is recommended.

Tony, if you want to borrow my Popular, just PM me. You are more than welcome to. It's a great mild shaver.

116 3,804
 06-10-2012, 01:47 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
I would love to get my hands on a British Aristocrat, but like you said, prices are getting crazy. Now as I say that, I contridict myself a bit. Being willing to spend the money for the Feather AS, yet saying that the price of a Vintage British Aristocrat is unreasonable is sort of silly. I guess it is just another preconceived notion, if its used, I feel as though the price should be lower than something brand new. Maybe I will watch ebay for aristocrats for a bit.

35 1,732
 06-10-2012, 03:08 PM
  • Manticore
  • Old And In The Way
  • Manchester, New Hampshire
User Info
I picked the Sticky on the poll, when I find one for the right price I'll go for it!

2 very nice choices for a mild razor would be a 40's style SS or a Schick Krona. I have both and love 'em, and yes I prefer milder razors.

0 136
 06-10-2012, 03:24 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(06-10-2012, 03:08 PM)Manticore Wrote: I picked the Sticky on the poll, when I find one for the right price I'll go for it!

2 very nice choices for a mild razor would be a 40's style SS or a Schick Krona. I have both and love 'em, and yes I prefer milder razors.

I have an X2 Black Tip 40's style super speed currently waiting to be used, I expect I'll enjoy it very much.

I've tried a Krona as well, and it was pretty good, I've considered buying another one to replace the one I sold.

I'm also looking into finding an HD Rocket, which should suits my preferences of mild yet hefty.

35 1,732
 06-10-2012, 03:44 PM
  • Manticore
  • Old And In The Way
  • Manchester, New Hampshire
User Info
(06-10-2012, 03:24 PM)Tonality Wrote:
(06-10-2012, 03:08 PM)Manticore Wrote: I picked the Sticky on the poll, when I find one for the right price I'll go for it!

I have an X2 Black Tip 40's style super speed currently waiting to be used, I expect I'll enjoy it very much.

I've tried a Krona as well, and it was pretty good, I've considered buying another one to replace the one I sold.

I'm also looking into finding an HD Rocket, which should suits my preferences of mild yet hefty.

I have a 1952 Steel Handle Blacktip and I believe you will like your X2 very much. They're very close to a 40's SS, one of my favorites.

0 136
 06-10-2012, 03:59 PM
User Info
Anthony, you will not be able to find a milder and no-way-in-the-world-you-will-ever-cut-or-nick-yourself razor than the Feather AS-D1, in my opinion. Very, very mild razor and heavy to boot just as you require.

75 20,883
 06-10-2012, 04:04 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(06-10-2012, 03:59 PM)celestino Wrote: Anthony, you will not be able to find a milder and no-way-in-the-world-you-will-ever-cut-or-nick-yourself razor than the Feather AS-D1, in my opinion. Very, very mild razor and heavy to boot just as you require.

My current train of thought is that if I get one, and don't like it, then at least it has high resell value.

35 1,732
 06-10-2012, 04:36 PM
  • Stroker
  • Jacksonville, Oregon
User Info
In the SE area; have you tried the GEM Bullet-tip? It is the mildest SE razor I have ever used. It's very mild not like the GEM OCMM or Clog-Pruf's at all.

In the DE area: the Gillette Black Handle SS is very mild as well. It may be a little too light for your preference.

6 448
 06-10-2012, 06:00 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(06-10-2012, 04:36 PM)Stroker Wrote: In the SE area; have you tried the GEM Bullet-tip? It is the mildest SE razor I have ever used. It's very mild not like the GEM OCMM or Clog-Pruf's at all.

In the DE area: the Gillette Black Handle SS is very mild as well. It may be a little too light for your preference.

I have no tried the bullet-tip yet, once I decide to explore SE again it is on the top of my list.

I've only held a 50's Super Speed a couple times at antique shops and have been put off by the weight and personally, I don't like how they look Undecided. YMMV, right?

35 1,732
 06-10-2012, 06:31 PM
User Info
My next mild razor acquisition will be Weber ARC, which (I am told) will be available in mid-July.

15 316
 06-10-2012, 08:35 PM
User Info
My vote goes to the Gillette Tech DE razor, and the Schick L1 injector razor. Both are quite mild yet effective razors for their type.

0 1,377