04-08-2015, 11:46 PM
User Info
...the Third Reich invaded Norway. In my line of work such dates tends to be noticed, and my mind is on things not terrible related to shaving today.

April 9th 1940 marked the start of a two month long campaign that ended in the Norwegian Armed Forces in Norway surrendering. It was the longest campaign after being invaded in 1940 - Poland fell in four weeks, France in six... but Norway, with the numerically smallest, barely trained and even worse equiped army in Europe at the time held out for eight. Granted, our geography makes it easy to defend - but our soldiers and volunteers for the most part simply did not give up.

For those unfamiliar with this - in the grand scheme of things - reasonable minor part of history, here is a few links:

Operation WeserübungNorwegian CampaignHNoMS Pol IIIBattle of Drøbak SoundBattle of Hegra FortressBattle of VinjesvingenBattles of NarvikBattle of Dombås, and German occupation of Norway - Wikipedia

The king’s defiance, and chaotic escape and Norway to recall loss of freedom - NewsInEnglish.no

It sounds like a cliché, but freedom isn't free. Sometimes the enemies of freedom is easy to spot, sometimes they are not - but it must be protected regardless.

3 4,511
 04-09-2015, 05:11 AM
User Info
I'm sure this part of history is very close to your heart and there are so many things I would love to post on this subject, but I am trying to avoid being banned from the "TSN". I will say that my heart truly does go out to all those affected by this and many other similar events: past, present and future. Unfortunately, I am not going to read the links, as the game has been the same for thousands of years. I'll leave it at that!

Peace to all of Norway and the planet!

0 122
 04-09-2015, 05:18 AM
User Info
My thoughts and prayers are with all of the brave Norwegians and their families, who, 75 years ago, stood up against tyranny and fascism. May they never be forgotten.  Exclamation

39 3,920
 04-09-2015, 05:43 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I was born in 1965 and spent the first 15 years of my life in Ukraine, Soviet Union (that's a place AND a time). Growing up there I knew of no one around me who was not greatly effected by WWII. No one. My family being Jewish was effected accordingly. Fortunately, enough of them survived to bring me into this world. Invasion of USSR occurred on June 22, 1941 from the Polish border and that date is pretty much burned into most Russians' minds for ever. Let us never forget the horrors of that time so our children and children of our children don't ever have to experience anything like it. And also let us remember another date, which is coming up. May 9, 1945 was when third rich capitulated to the allies and that part of the war ended. That date was a national holiday in the old USSR. Not sure if it still is in that land, but here in US where I live now it is not. This country has a very different perspective on WWII, much of which has to do with the Pacific. Still, I think May 9 is a very important day to remember. It's the day when humanity prevailed over fascism. This day should remind us to maintain that prevalence and be vigilant to the signs of such things rearing their ugly heads again.

Thank you Hans for bringing up this (off) topic and may piece be with you, your family and your country.

--
Vladimir

26 1,739
 04-10-2015, 03:40 AM
User Info
Thank you for sharing--and for reminding us of a truth we in the west tend to take for granted.

2 618
 04-10-2015, 04:01 AM
User Info
Takk for denne påminnelsen. Verden må alltid være årvåken mot tyranni og bedrag. Som en hvis forfedre er av norsk avstamning, jeg applaudere hva nordmenn oppnådd mot en langt større fiende. Gud velsigne Norge!

0 68
 04-10-2015, 05:18 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(04-10-2015, 04:01 AM)Phillips Wrote: Takk for denne påminnelsen. Verden må alltid være årvåken mot tyranni og bedrag. Som en hvis forfedre er av norsk avstamning, jeg applaudere hva nordmenn oppnådd mot en langt større fiende. Gud velsigne Norge!

Would someone care to translate this?

178 23,809
 04-10-2015, 05:43 AM
User Info
(04-10-2015, 05:18 AM)Johnny Wrote:
(04-10-2015, 04:01 AM)Phillips Wrote: Takk for denne påminnelsen. Verden må alltid være årvåken mot tyranni og bedrag. Som en hvis forfedre er av norsk avstamning, jeg applaudere hva nordmenn oppnådd mot en langt større fiende. Gud velsigne Norge!

Would someone care to translate this?

Since I'm one of the few 'weges here, and since I started this thread, I feel it's my job  Wink Off the cuff:
Quote:Thank you for this reminder. The world must always be vigilant against tyranny and deception*. As someone who's ancestors were of Norwegian decent, I applauds what Norwegians achieved against a far superior enemy. God bless Norway!

Couple of grammatical whoopees with verb tenses and word order, but Norwegian isn't an easy language  Smile

*)  "Deceit" might be a better translation

3 4,511
 04-10-2015, 03:07 PM
User Info
My wife has my wife and I visited Norway and were there during 9/11. Not a good time to be away from home but Norway was a good place to be if we couldn't be in the U.S. My wife's cousins reside in Oslo and among her family was a very distinguished gentleman who had been an officer in the Norwegian army during WWll. He took us to the resistance museum and it was quite an experience. Very moving.
Norway is a beautiful country and we're planning another trip next year.

44 487