06-10-2012, 03:49 PM
User Info
I've acquired a good number of double edge safety razors since getting back with the program. Oddly enough, one of the most common razors had to some degree eluded me. I'm referring to the EJ 89 series. I do own a Muhle Grande R89 which sports the same head but is just a bit bigger than it's smaller cousin EJ. It goes without saying that the 89's are a very common and from what I read popular razor.

I came across a lead about a week ago that allowed me to purchase the EJ 89L for around $27 priority shipped from soap.com. I thought what better chance to give it a try. They had it in my hands within 2 days from date of order, it came with a 5 pack of Derby's which I set aside. I decided to give this razor a run yesterday. While I was at it I loaded it and 3 other razors with Persona Blue's/Crystal blades (I quite like this blade in most of my razors). I stopped for a bit and compared it to the Muhle sitting next to it and could see not a hint of difference in the heads.

I began the shave with my usual procedures only to see that it just gliding over my beard and laying it down. I'm used to heavier razors but I use light razors form time to time and am no stranger to their use. I pressed the razor a bit and was able shave but not as well as I expected. I immediately replaced the blade with another new Personna. It seemed a bit better but not great. I picked up the Muhle and finished the shave which turned out just as I would expect.

I don't really know what I might expect by sharing this story other than to say that this one has me a bit stumped. I put the blade that I pulled out of the EJ in a Merkur 43C for just a couple of brief strokes and it cut just fine. I don't believe it was a blade problem and can't imagine the required technique to be substantially different than what I've done in the past, especially given I have the same head on a different handle. This razor and a Semogue 830 that I recently purchased just haven't been quite what I had hoped. Anyway... 'nuff said. I'll stick a Feather in it next shave and see if that's a better combination.

0 145
 06-10-2012, 04:34 PM
User Info
It's been a while since I've used the DE89 series of razors, but I don't think they were particularly hard to use. They are mild, but not exceptionally so, and the usage angle was pretty easy to figure out.

Unless the head on the one you have is a real outlier (unlikely), it has to be your shaving angle that's the issue.

I can see it not cutting enough hair at the first pass to satisfy you, but not cutting hair at all!.......that's strange.

37 1,731
 06-10-2012, 04:51 PM
User Info
(06-10-2012, 04:34 PM)yohannrjm Wrote: Unless the head on the one you have is a real outlier (unlikely), it has to be your shaving angle that's the issue.

I had been looking at the overhang or lack thereof and comparing it with other razors this afternoon. The blade in this razor looked much the same as other mild shavers (especially the Muhle) and was completely (surprisingly so) even and square. I'm sure this is just me or perhaps a weak combination of razor and blade.

0 145
 06-10-2012, 06:34 PM
User Info
Yeah, this has got to be me. There are a couple other threads going on right now that I missed. They definitely indicate that people have gotten a different result using this razor than me.

0 145
 06-10-2012, 07:53 PM
User Info
It could be the Muhle Grande's handle is affecting your angle with the smaller handle of the EJ 89. Why not swap handles to experiment?
It could also be the blade, but if you are getting good results with the same blade in the Muhle, you should also be doing likewise in the EJ 89. Good luck.

75 20,883