04-09-2015, 07:23 AM
User Info
The title was to get your attention.  Cool
I have been replicating the slant with my Feather AS-D2 recently and am achieving my closest shaves ever. I see no reason to even pick up my 37C anymore.  Wink
Anyone else out there use the slant technique with a normal DE or even a straight? (It is my impression that straight shavers apply this technique, am I correct?)

39 3,918
 04-09-2015, 07:30 AM
User Info
The Gillette slide. You have got my attention, but I would not give up my ATT S2 set up. From what I have heard, there are many different slant technologies out there. If a slant is torqued and slanted, I would assume a slide technique using a normal straight edge may not compare.

0 122
 04-09-2015, 07:40 AM
User Info
(04-09-2015, 07:30 AM)Nusquam Humanitus Wrote: The Gillette slide. You have got my attention, but I would not give up my ATT S2 set up. From what I have heard, there are many different slant technologies out there. If a slant is torqued and slanted, I would assume a slide technique using a normal straight edge may not compare.
I just watched Mantic59's Gillette slide video and this is not what I have been doing. Ignoring the 30 degree thing for the time being, I am slightly turning the blade so when pulling straight down, the blade is positioned like the guillotine. Not quite the "Gillette Slide" as demonstrated by Mantic59. Results...extraordinary.  Thumbup

39 3,918
 04-09-2015, 07:51 AM
User Info
Primo, you need to make a video to illustrate this technique! Biggrin   I have never tried it.

82 21,077
 04-09-2015, 07:56 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
I do the "Gillette" slide on some parts of the neck, also depending on which razor I'm using, but I definitely still see the need for a slant for the overall DE shave. Talking exclusively of DE razors, my all-time favorite razor is still the Merkel Slant - I get fabulously close shaves with it, and with zero irritation.

26 4,927
 04-09-2015, 08:05 AM
User Info
I am doing it for a few days now!  Video?  Biggrin Icon_popcorn
Once the soap and blade is right,  it becomes better and better. I have way to go, but I see light

A true slant maynhave advantages when more force is applied while cutting and with blades that less sharp and less glide.
With my high performance setup I m doing good though. 

21 1,175
 04-09-2015, 08:37 AM
User Info
After reading a thread the other day about someone doing that I tried it with my Muhle R89. Only thing is retraining your brain that it's OK to hold your razor at an angle lol. Worked great! May try it with my injector next. 

147 3,534
 04-09-2015, 08:40 AM
User Info
It works really great. Stipulation is the soap has to be slick, very slick. 

39 3,918
 04-09-2015, 10:11 AM
User Info
I have tried the Gillette Slide. It was the only way to really get a tug-free shave with a DE for me, but it requires concentration. I have never experienced a need to use this technique with any of my SEs. 

18 713
 04-09-2015, 10:49 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Have used both the Gillette slide and the OPs stroke with a DE and SR. Sure they work, but it is just easier to pick up and use my Merkur slant.

Bob

0 1,694
 04-09-2015, 12:09 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(04-09-2015, 10:49 AM)BobH Wrote: Have used both the Gillette slide and the OPs stroke with a DE and SR. Sure they work, but it is just easier to pick up and use my Merkur slant.

Bob

My exact thought.

178 23,807
 04-09-2015, 12:18 PM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
Maybe I am doing something wrong - but I do not get the same efficient whisker removal by tilting a DE/SE. Does a straight blade cut better at an angle? Yes - but it's not the same as a slant for me.

As for the 'slide' - it does work - but I find it too scary to use as my default stroke. It's too easy to get nicks with the slide.

17 535
 04-09-2015, 12:42 PM
User Info
I am very new here and have no idea about a gillette slide or OPs stroke. I was taught 58 yrs ago to hold the razor on an oblique and draw the low side on a shallow angle-stroke. This gives a two dimensional cutting action and works extraordinarily well. 

0 24
 04-09-2015, 01:25 PM
User Info
(04-09-2015, 12:42 PM)SnafuJack Wrote: I am very new here and have no idea about a gillette slide or OPs stroke. I was taught 58 yrs ago to hold the razor on an oblique and draw the low side on a shallow angle-stroke. This gives a two dimensional cutting action and works extraordinarily well. 
Laughing1

39 3,918
 04-09-2015, 01:30 PM
User Info
All kidding aside, sorry Jack, this discovery came about because of the tremendous glide I experienced with Mystic Water. The blade was literally skating across my skin. While buffing, the guillotine image popped into my head. I am not going to make it an everyday practice, but it did teach me a lot about my 37C and how important a slick lather is in achieving a BBS.  Euro

39 3,918
 04-09-2015, 02:29 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(04-09-2015, 12:18 PM)v4257 Wrote: As for the 'slide' - it does work - but I find it too scary to use as my default stroke. It's too easy to get nicks with the slide.

Yes, you got the scary part right. Definitely has a high potential for slice and dice. I have used it but would rather not using instead my Merkur slant.

Bob

0 1,694
 04-09-2015, 03:29 PM
User Info
I have used the 'Gillette Slide' in the past and still use it now and then. It does work, but I still prefer to use a genuine Slant, as it just makes the process easier and it certainly is easier to use in the curved areas of the face - jawline, etc. 

I think that the 'advanced' shaving techniques are useful and nice to use when necessary.......but I still love my Slant. 

37 1,743
 04-10-2015, 08:27 AM
User Info
A very interesting question and, like most good questions, the answers can range from the ridiculous to the sublime.

I love my slants. They give me the best shaves (in terms of closeness, comfort, ease of use) of any razors I have tried -- but on some level they are an attempt to make the razor fool-proof. By that I mean reducing the skill needed to shave effectively. When you stop and think about it, the safety razor was invented to appeal to men who found the burden of maintaining and shaving with a straight razor too difficult. (The fact that it also made lots of money for Mr. Gillette is incidental)

Of course increasing profit was the idea behind the multi-blade razors that dominate the market today, but they are effective shavers that require no skill to use -- you barely even have to pay attention to shave. These razors (along with electric shavers) are the shaving equivalent of power steering.

I found when I took up DE shaving that my biggest problem was to un-learn the habits that the multi-blades had taught me. And I find that if, for reasons of national security, I must leave my DE razor at home and fly the friendly skies with Good News or some other non-threatening razor, I have the same problem in reverse!

So.......I will continue to use and love my slants (and other DEs), while keeping in mind that it actually is possible to drive a vehicle without power steering and an automatic transmission -- in fact, it's more fun.
Euro

5 395
 04-10-2015, 10:07 AM
User Info
(04-10-2015, 08:27 AM)opsimath Wrote: A very interesting question and, like most good questions, the answers can range from the ridiculous to the sublime.

I love my slants. They give me the best shaves (in terms of closeness, comfort, ease of use) of any razors I have tried -- but on some level they are an attempt to make the razor fool-proof. By that I mean reducing the skill needed to shave effectively. When you stop and think about it, the safety razor was invented to appeal to men who found the burden of maintaining and shaving with a straight razor too difficult. (The fact that it also made lots of money for Mr. Gillette is incidental)

Of course increasing profit was the idea behind the multi-blade razors that dominate the market today, but they are effective shavers that require no skill to use -- you barely even have to pay attention to shave. These razors (along with electric shavers) are the shaving equivalent of power steering.

I found when I took up DE shaving that my biggest problem was to un-learn the habits that the multi-blades had taught me. And I find that if, for reasons of national security, I must leave my DE razor at home and fly the friendly skies with Good News or some other non-threatening razor, I have the same problem in reverse!

So.......I will continue to use and love my slants (and other DEs), while keeping in mind that it actually is possible to drive a vehicle without power steering and an automatic transmission -- in fact, it's more fun.
Euro 
+1  Thumbup

39 3,918
 04-10-2015, 10:10 AM
User Info
(04-09-2015, 08:05 AM)Bibbelmann Wrote: I am doing it for a few days now!  Video?  Biggrin Icon_popcorn
Once the soap and blade is right,  it becomes better and better. I have way to go, but I see light

A true slant maynhave advantages when more force is applied while cutting and with blades that less sharp and less glide.
With my high performance setup I m doing good though. 
Did the "Primo slide" (that's what I'm calling it; feel free anyone to call it that too,  Wink  ) again this morning. I am seriously hooked. BBS is just a twist of the wrist away! A video, however is more than a twist away...

39 3,918