06-10-2012, 05:31 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
I'm having some trouble understanding some of the basics. What is the difference between a "mild" but "efficient" razor and just a plain "aggressive" razor? Assuming the aggressive one doesn't cut you up what would be the difference in the final shave, if any?

0 396
 06-10-2012, 05:34 PM
User Info
Efficient is the term I use instead of aggressive due to the negative connotations that follow the term aggressive. Efficiency is a descriptor. So mild would be less efficient while aggressive is more efficient.

31 7,912
 06-10-2012, 05:36 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-10-2012, 05:34 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Efficient is the term I use instead of aggressive due to the negative connotations that follow the term aggressive. Efficiency is a descriptor. So mild would be less efficient while aggressive is more efficient.

OK, that's kind of what I had assumed. Thanks man. Biggrin

0 396
 06-10-2012, 05:43 PM
User Info
Now let's just see if this is something we can actually agree on in the Traditional shaving world.

31 7,912
 06-10-2012, 05:49 PM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info
 06-10-2012, 05:56 PM
User Info
(06-10-2012, 05:49 PM)DLP Wrote: YMMV Shaving

Indeed. I am able to easily get BBS shaves with my nonaggressive Sticky and Feather razors, as close and comfortable a shave as with any aggressive razor, so long as I use the right blades.

183 12,002
 06-10-2012, 06:34 PM
User Info
IMO, "efficiency" refers to getting the job done, while "aggressive" describes the roughness of the ride.

15 316
 06-10-2012, 06:45 PM
User Info
(06-10-2012, 06:34 PM)slackskin Wrote: IMO, "efficiency" refers to getting the job done, while "aggressive" describes the roughness of the ride.

My face can't have one without the other, at least to a degree. Generally, the more aggressive the razor the more efficient the hair removal and the longer my face keeps a BBS shave; a matter of a few more hours at most.

32 6,308
 06-10-2012, 06:51 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-10-2012, 06:45 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote:
(06-10-2012, 06:34 PM)slackskin Wrote: IMO, "efficiency" refers to getting the job done, while "aggressive" describes the roughness of the ride.

My face can't have one without the other, at least to a degree. Generally, the more aggressive the razor the more efficient the hair removal and the longer my face keeps a BBS shave; a matter of a few more hours at most.

I've noticed how long the BBS lasts as well. What I want is a razor and blade combination that cuts through whiskers easily and closely. A "mild" razor that doesn't give me a very close shave isn't worth much to me. Neither is a "mild" razor that pulls and tugs. I can't stand that feeling. With the Weishi I had I could hear the blade on the whiskers. It sounded like it was cutting but it wasn't. I believe I was hearing my whiskers flap against the blade and bar. That's useless too.

On the other hand I don't want a dangerous weapon either.

The best shave I've gotten so far was today with a Red Personna blade and my Slim set on 5. No irritation and a good close shave.

0 396
 06-10-2012, 07:16 PM
User Info
Dave, have you tried a vintage Gillette Old or New long comb? I think they'd be about a 5 on the Slim. Very nice shavers, not expensive and for me the beginning of where a razor starts to be efficient.

There are SE razors also. There are some fantastically efficient SE razors that you might be able to handle now or soon if not now. The Open Comb MicroMatic being one, but it's 2 other siblings being about as efficient, but not as aggressive feeling. They are reasonably priced. There are some other SE razors that would also do what you want. SE requires a slight change in angle, but they are actually easier to use IMO since they "talk" (loudly) when they're working right.

As with DE, it's a matter of trying them to see what you like.

Traditional blade shaving is a pretty neat ride, isn't it?

32 6,308
 06-10-2012, 07:20 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-10-2012, 07:16 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Dave, have you tried a vintage Gillette Old or New long comb? I think they'd be about a 5 on the Slim. Very nice shavers, not expensive and for me the beginning of where a razor starts to be efficient.

There are SE razors also. There are some fantastically efficient SE razors that you might be able to handle now or soon if not now. The Open Comb MicroMatic being one, but it's 2 other siblings being about as efficient, but not as aggressive feeling. They are reasonably priced. There are some other SE razors that would also do what you want. SE requires a slight change in angle, but they are actually easier to use IMO since they "talk" (loudly) when they're working right.

Indeed it is! I'm loving every bit of it.

I have carpal tunnel in both hands. It's not disabling but my hands are no longer rock steady. I've been afraid of SE because it seems to me so close to using a straight razor, which I wouldn't try right now under any circumstances. Do you think the SE would be dangerous? I don't mind an occasional nick or burn but I don't want to shred my face!

0 396
 06-10-2012, 07:30 PM
User Info
(06-10-2012, 07:20 PM)uncledave Wrote:
(06-10-2012, 07:16 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Dave, have you tried a vintage Gillette Old or New long comb? I think they'd be about a 5 on the Slim. Very nice shavers, not expensive and for me the beginning of where a razor starts to be efficient.

I have carpal tunnel in both hands. It's not disabling but my hands are no longer rock steady. I've been afraid of SE because it seems to me so close to using a straight razor, which I wouldn't try right now under any circumstances. Do you think the SE would be dangerous? I don't mind an occasional nick or burn but I don't want to shred my face!

UncleD, I have no desire to use a straight (at this point in my life anyway), but the SE is about all I use. IME, it's a bit easier to use as long as you keep your angle and like some audible feedback. Many SEs literally sing to you. I think you'd be doing your wrists a huge favor to pick up a few SEs to try as well as a good synthetic brush or two! Winky

31 7,912
 06-10-2012, 07:31 PM
User Info

It's no more difficult than DE. It's just that the angle is slightly different, and the blades last longer. Less blade selection also, so there's less testing there, but the blades most of us use are very very good. There are some duds but we pretty much know which ones they are.

Some SE razors, I'm thinking the Lather Catchers, can be like shaving with a blade glued onto a popsicle stick, but the mini lather catchers and more modern aren't like that.

Edit: Whoops, I see BrianSS beat me to it.

32 6,308
 06-10-2012, 07:32 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-10-2012, 07:30 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:

UncleD, I have no desire to use a straight (at this point in my life anyway), but the SE is about all I use. IME, it's a bit easier to use as long as you keep your angle and like some audible feedback. Many SEs literally sing to you. I think you'd be doing your wrists a huge favor to pick up a few SEs to try as well as a good synthetic brush or two! Winky

OK. Done! I'll try an SE next. I like the fact that people report getting 10+ shaves out of a blade with them.

0 396
 06-10-2012, 07:35 PM
User Info
(06-10-2012, 07:32 PM)uncledave Wrote: OK. Done! I'll try an SE next. I like the fact that people report getting 10+ shaves out of a blade with them.

BrianK and I can each easily get over a dozen shaves. I generally stop at the end of a week just because it's easier to remember to change to a fresh blade each Sunday. I actually got bored with testing to see how long a blade would go. I stopped after the 12th shave and think I could have gotten 14-15.

31 7,912
 06-10-2012, 07:36 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-10-2012, 07:35 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(06-10-2012, 07:32 PM)uncledave Wrote: OK. Done! I'll try an SE next. I like the fact that people report getting 10+ shaves out of a blade with them.

BrianK and I can each easily get over a dozen shaves. I generally stop at the end of a week just because it's easier to remember to change to a fresh blade each Sunday. I actually got bored with testing to see how long a blade would go. I stopped after the 12th shave and think I could have gotten 14-15.

That's an amazing number any way you look at it! Isn't the GEM one of this kind of razor?

0 396
 06-10-2012, 07:38 PM
User Info
(06-10-2012, 07:36 PM)uncledave Wrote:
(06-10-2012, 07:35 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:

That's an amazing number any way you look at it! Isn't the GEM one of this kind of razor?

Yes, most of the SEs are either Gem, Ever Ready, Star, or Kampfe. Also Schick injectors are a bit different but fall in the SE category as well. I always feel like I'm cheating when I shave with an injector. They are that easy and efficient.

31 7,912
 06-10-2012, 07:45 PM
User Info
Every once in a while I can get up to 18 shaves. Once I got bored with the exercise and changed it at 18 just because the blade held out longer than I did.

The best blades are about $.25 so at even 12 shaves, that's a pretty insignificant expense per shave.

The blades last so long that I keep the blade wrapper under the razor of the appropraite blade with tally marks on it for each shave. I just counted... I have 5 blades in use right now. W/O the tally marks there's no way I could ever keep track. Plus I'm frugal and it galls me to throw something away if it has more life in it. (not cheap, frugal, there is a difference)

32 6,308
 06-10-2012, 07:45 PM
User Info
(06-10-2012, 05:34 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Efficient is the term I use instead of aggressive due to the negative connotations that follow the term aggressive. Efficiency is a descriptor. So mild would be less efficient while aggressive is more efficient.

+1 Have to agree with, Brian, here.

75 20,883
 06-10-2012, 07:47 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-10-2012, 07:45 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Every once in a while I can get up to 18 shaves. Once I got bored with the exercise and changed it at 18 just because the blade held out longer than I did.

The best blades are about $.25 so at even 12 shaves, that's a pretty insignificant expense per shave.

The blades last so long that I keep the blade wrapper under the razor of the appropraite blade with tally marks on it for each shave. I just counted... I have 5 blades in use right now. W/O the tally marks there's no way I could ever keep track. Plus I'm frugal and it galls me to throw something away if it has more life in it. (not cheap, frugal, there is a difference)

Well, I'm like Jack Benny whether that's cheap or frugal. Biggrin

One question. Why multiple blades at the same time?

0 396