06-10-2012, 06:01 PM
User Info
Had a brush workout tonight. After a week using a synthetic (Muhle Black Fibre) I was able to break out my Semogue Owners Club boar tonight. While the SOC performed splendidly as always, I noticed that the effort required to achieve my desired lather was significantly greater than with the synthetic.

It just amazed me that in only a weeks time I became so accustomed to the ease with which the synthetics perform that I felt like I was lathering with wrist weights on. I highly recommend a synthetic brush for anyone with wrist/hand problems that cannot tolerate repetitive motions very well.

31 7,912
 06-10-2012, 06:44 PM
User Info
My comment here should carry little weight as I've never used a synthetic brush to this point. Your description of how the two brushes compared is exactly how I feel when comparing my Boar with any of my Silvertips. My experience with the Boar is still limited, I probably need to get a different one to confirm my experience to this point. I just have to work harder to get the same result as I'm used to getting.

0 145
 06-10-2012, 06:52 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-10-2012, 06:01 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Had a brush workout tonight. After a week using a synthetic (Muhle Black Fibre) I was able to break out my Semogue Owners Club boar tonight. While the SOC performed splendidly as always, I noticed that the effort required to achieve my desired lather was significantly greater than with the synthetic.

It just amazed me that in only a weeks time I became so accustomed to the ease with which the synthetics perform that I felt like I was lathering with wrist weights on. I highly recommend a synthetic brush for anyone with wrist/hand problems that cannot tolerate repetitive motions very well.

Now THAT'S useful info. I have carpal tunnel in both hands. I think I'll give synthetics a try.

0 396
 06-10-2012, 07:55 PM
User Info
Thanks for the info, Brian.

75 20,883
 06-11-2012, 03:24 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Great info thanks for sharing.

1 3,507
 06-11-2012, 06:03 AM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
Yeah, my SOC has been mostly ignored for a long time for this reason. I find myself sticking with my easiest to lather brushes due to inflaming my tendonitis whenever I whip up lather with my boar brushes too often. Actually, many of my badger brushes are ignored as well.

0 253