04-11-2015, 01:32 PM
User Info
Disclosure: I am reviewing this as a mere reviewer of this product. I purchased it with my own money and I have no affiliations with the manufacturer of this shaving soap or one if its vendors.

I can be quite niggardly sometimes. I very much resisted the notion of pre-shave for years. I am also no-nonsense and could not stand to waste time with hot towel treatments and such. I already used Noxzema as a regular face wash as I don't wash my face in the shower with body soap. It did not occur to me to use it as a preshave. I have been using it successfully for the past couple of months. It makes a difference in the comfort of the shave. The beard is more softened and it makes the shave more comfortable than when I was just splashing water and shaving immediately.

Price-- it is a terrific value. This is a classic product that has been made for decades. American buyers can get 12oz of this stuff at $3-4. UK and Canadian buyers can get it too but be prepared to spend 2-3 times at much. Even foreign buyers will benefit from the price because it is still cheaper than say Proraso pre shave, and you get 3 times the product. It lasts and lasts.

Menth-heads-- if you are purchasing it for the cooling effects I would stay away. There is a strong cooling feeling the first time you use it but it goes away fast so you barely feel anything at all after using it for a while.

Anyone else a fan of using Noxzema as a pre-shave? 

[Image: noxzema-face-wash.jpg]

18 713
 04-11-2015, 06:06 PM
User Info
I also use Noxema as a pre-shave. I rub in on my face before my shower. It makes sure my facial hair is well hydrated and ready to be cut. 

24 227
 04-11-2015, 08:38 PM
User Info
the mad scientist of shaving has stated it is similar to proraso. Don´t know. I do use Proraso prep

21 1,175
 04-12-2015, 01:44 AM
User Info
I have both Noxzema and prorasso, and can say as far as i am concerned the Noxzema does as good a job as prorasso, and its still cheap here in the UK. Also, its a face cleanser so double the value.

0 37
 04-12-2015, 02:19 AM
User Info
I use the moisturizing version as a pre-shave. Use it in the shower while my brush is soaking. Have been for a couple of months now and get better shaves than I ever have. It is a perminate part of my routine for sure.

6 75
 04-12-2015, 02:19 AM
User Info
I truly believe this as an absolute MUST TRY! I would also suggest mixing the Noxzema with glycerin. Adding glycerin, ups the ante quite considerably and dilutes the smell of Noxzema, which is a plus for many. 

Smoother shaves and considerably less razor burn. It's my absolute pre-shave solution!

Peace, Gentlemen!

0 122
 04-12-2015, 04:18 AM
User Info
Do you rinse it off in the shower before you shave or leave it on your face as you build your lather?

2 79
 04-12-2015, 04:29 AM
User Info
I rinse it off. I read a really good article about pre-shave and it said the object of a pre shave is to moisturize your skin not to give additional slickness. By providing moisture the skin has the ability to flex under the pressure of the blade instead of being stiff which results in cuts. 

6 75
 04-12-2015, 04:45 AM
User Info
(04-12-2015, 04:29 AM)Bucknut315 Wrote: I rinse it off. I read a really good article about pre-shave and it said the object of a pre shave is to moisturize your skin not to give additional slickness. By providing moisture the skin has the ability to flex under the pressure of the blade instead of being stiff which results in cuts. 

This is true, but if any pre-shave solution does provide extra slickness, why would you avoid it? This is the first I have heard of rinsing off any pre-shave solution prior to lathering. You may want to try not rinsing it off and lathering over your pre-shave solution, whatever it may be. You may be surprised.

Peace!

0 122
 04-12-2015, 07:46 AM
User Info
I wash it off.

18 713
 04-12-2015, 09:29 AM
User Info
Someone asked me on another forum wether it is as effective as face lathering and leaving the lather to soften the beard. here is my response:

I face lather also. One of the ingredients is stearic acid-- same as many shaving soaps. Other ingredients are soybean oil and linseed oil, which is used in some pre shave oils.  I am skeptical of the pricey pre-shave preparations and I thought it might be more snake oil than anything. Or rather--clever marketing. They may work, but because they are marketed a certain way they command a very high markup. Think of the "oil blotting" papers available on the market. What a rip off. Of course, that doesn't stop people from buying them, even though regular hand-drying paper towels or even Scott toilet paper are every bit as effective.

Noxzema is a cheap readily available face wash that I was already using, so there was nothing to lose. It leaves absolutely no dryness. My face sheds excess oilyness and dirt without it feeling stripped and my skin feels more pliable. I have used the glycerin bars that some people report using as a pre-shave and I think them too drying and they leave tightness. 

I have also just let shaving soap lather sit on my face and it does soften the beard but it doesn't hydrate my skin like Noxzema does. 

18 713
 04-12-2015, 02:45 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
I have put Noxema and Proraso Pre shave head to head over the years and for me Proraso wins. I can see Noxema can work for shavers with light soft beards but for me a shaver with a tougher beard Proraso does a better job of softening the beard . For Proraso to work most effectively it must stay on the beard for several minutes prior to applying lather. Prep, 3p and Proraso have always been used by Italian shavers I suspect because like myself, an African American , the Italian-Med beard is hard stuff . Noxema I find as a facial cleanser prior to shaving is extremely excellent though, seems to moisturize the skin well for shaving.

15 541
 05-24-2015, 09:39 PM
User Info
I added a bit of vegetable glycerin to mine! I usually wash it off right before the shave as I don't like menthol that much.

I have pretty heavy growth, I don't know how much difference it actually makes, but I pull it out once and awhile. 1 tub would last you a very long time.

0 54
 06-10-2015, 03:31 AM
  • Brad58
  • Go Penn State!
  • Berwick, PA
User Info
I put it on and rub in well after the shower and as a base for the lather.  It has been used this way for many
years (see old ads on Noxzema).  Remember, it quickly builds on the blades and you need to rinse thoroughly
between strokes.

14 206
 06-12-2015, 06:31 AM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
Wet your face and massage,leave face wet a few minutes.Take  Noxzema(i use a drugstore clone that costs a buck) and rub a thin layer onto your face and massage for a bit and then shave.You will get a very nice shave, just use warm - hot water to clean the razor and the sink as this stuff leaves a gooey residue. A cool water  shave generates some build up on the razor and interferes  with the shave.

0 275
 06-17-2015, 02:25 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I have been using Noxema on and off for several years.  In fact, I used it as my pre-shave this morning.  I rub a thin layer over my beard and then brush on the shaving lather over it.  It works great.

Another one to try, in the same vein as Noxema and Proraso, is Lucky Tiger Mollé Brushless Shave Cream.  It does not resemble the other two in scent but otherwise I use it the same way as I do the Noxema or Proraso.  It puts down a nice protective layer.

[Image: vK6Lhoa.jpg]

2 11,211
 07-11-2015, 06:43 PM
User Info
Well, after reading this thread,I hied my butt down to to CVS and picked up the store brand of Noxzema. I had a shower using sheep soap. Got out, patted my face damp and applied a light coat of the Noxzema knock off. As it was sitting on face I took my whipped dog and Kramperts Finest and produced a lovely lather that I worked into my face.
   Boy o boy with my 1924 shovel head I had one of the best shaves I have had in awhile. One WTG and one XTG and a touch up and a DFS, dare I say it, a BBS. Finished off with a nice splash of Frostbite and I was impressed. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. Definitely a good pre-shave.

2 226