04-11-2015, 04:45 PM
User Info
I purchased a Mongoose from a member of the Shave Nook because I was tired of waiting for the next release of Mongoose razors. The first try wasn't all that great with a Feather Pro blade. Second with a Kai Mild also wasn't that great. Third, I went back to the Pro and was told to make sure I got the angle right and to use the same pressure I use with my Feather DX non folding razor. Let the heavier weight of the razor do the work. The third shave was a charm. It is every bit as close if not closer then the Feather DX. 2 passes gave me a BSS. This is a real game changer. Could use this every day without irritation. I probably will use it 3 times a week and a straight 3 times because I still like the whole process with the straight. I am on the list for the next batch and the one I have goes to my son-in-law.

6 161
 04-11-2015, 05:07 PM
User Info
the hype is real! I love my mongoose I find the pro supers get even closer but the regular pros are fool proof everytime.

2 79
 04-11-2015, 05:24 PM
User Info
Agreed about this razor.  I can get a BBS shave with many razors, but my Mongoose is the most comfortable razor I have ever tried that gets me there.  

3 pass shave everyday (including against the grain) with no irritation ever with this razor!

52 1,176
 04-12-2015, 01:52 AM
User Info
Agreed, i had my first shave with my newly acquired mongoose with a feather proguard blade, and lovely bbs with no irritation, beleive the hype  Biggrin

0 37
 04-12-2015, 02:32 AM
User Info
According to there Facebook site they said a few weeks ago they should be releasing some soon. Hopefully there will be enough to go around.

4 642
 04-12-2015, 01:43 PM
User Info
I think I may have found a sweet spot with the Feather proguard blades. Whilst I enjoy this razor, I still have a very good relationship with my 1912 razors - Mongoose and Streamline are an embarrassment of riches.

I had a run with a DE razor (Gilette tech) last week and it has not been so kind to my skin. Funny that I ditched carts in favour of DEs because it left my skin in better shape, but SE has been even better still and going back to DE is almost unthinkable, let alone carts. Perhaps I need to get an injector to get a full suite of SE blade types...

0 19
 04-12-2015, 01:47 PM
  • clint64
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
(04-12-2015, 01:43 PM)44 Whitehall Wrote: I think I may have found a sweet spot with the Feather proguard blades.  Whilst I enjoy this razor, I still have a very good relationship with my 1912 razors - Mongoose and Streamline are an embarrassment of riches.

I had a run with a DE razor (Gilette tech) last week and it has not been so kind to my skin.  Funny that I ditched carts in favour of DEs because it left my skin in better shape, but SE has been even better still and going back to DE is almost unthinkable, let alone carts.  Perhaps I need to get an injector to get a full suite of SE blade types...

Since getting the Mongoose on New Years Eve, I have since added GEM and Injectors to the rotation.  I started out with DEs but now the vast majority of my shaves are with SEs.  

7 1,162
 04-12-2015, 01:51 PM
User Info
I've always wanted to try one of these. Maybe some day.

6 75
 04-12-2015, 01:52 PM
User Info
So glad to hear how well the Mongoose is doing for y'all and that it is opening the door to the vintage SEs as well. 

Welcome to the sharp side. Biggrin

31 8,055
 04-12-2015, 01:53 PM
User Info
I got on the mailing list for the next production made available for purchase. 
If I come across a second hand piece I am going to jump on it right away. The reviews that I have seen have been great.

11 435
 04-12-2015, 04:11 PM
User Info
Absolutely great razor. Feather pros work extremely well! If you want a super close shave go for the feather supers but care must be taken!

22 187
 04-12-2015, 07:26 PM
  • sch1989
  • Mesa arizona
User Info
I'm glad you are enjoying the mongoose!

23 598
 04-12-2015, 08:10 PM
User Info
1 out of 3 shaves was good...and it's a "game changer"?  I'd give it a bit more time before making that claim.

I'm not saying it won't be for you, but if I have a razor that sucks the first two shaves and I get a good one on time three, I don't consider it a success.  Here's hoping the rest of the shaves are as good as that third one for you.

8 2,718
 04-13-2015, 04:27 AM
User Info
(04-12-2015, 08:10 PM)Bruce Wrote: 1 out of 3 shaves was good...and it's a "game changer"?  I'd give it a bit more time before making that claim.

I'm not saying it won't be for you, but if I have a razor that sucks the first two shaves and I get a good one on time three, I don't consider it a success.  Here's hoping the rest of the shaves are as good as that third one for you.

Used it every day for a week and found it to be very close, smooth and no irritation. I was only able to shave every day using a straight every other day.  The Feather blades really do the job.  I used the Pro in my Feather DX and SS non folding handle  razors but for some reason in the Mongoose they shave better.  Probably more my technique but so far so good.

6 161
 04-13-2015, 04:49 AM
User Info
(04-13-2015, 04:27 AM)A CUT ABOVE Wrote:
(04-12-2015, 08:10 PM)Bruce Wrote: 1 out of 3 shaves was good...and it's a "game changer"?  I'd give it a bit more time before making that claim.

Used it every day for a week and found it to be very close, smooth and no irritation. I was only able to shave every day using a straight every other day.  The Feather blades really do the job.  I used the Pro in my Feather DX and SS non folding handle  razors but for some reason in the Mongoose they shave better.  Probably more my technique but so far so good.
Ok, that makes more sense. I thought you had only gotten one good shave out of three and making the claim.

8 2,718
 04-13-2015, 01:53 PM
User Info
(04-12-2015, 04:11 PM)bebo8 Wrote: Absolutely great razor. Feather pros work extremely well! If you want a super close shave go for the feather supers but care must be taken!

+1  And once I got the technique down, the pro supers have become my go to blade.  Great razor--well worth the wait. Wink

2 585
 04-14-2015, 09:45 PM
User Info
Interesting. I had a Mongoose, and couldn't get a good shave without using the Feather Super Pros and 4-5 passes. Goes to show that even with these high end products, YMMV is still a very true statement.

4 63
 04-14-2015, 09:56 PM
  • dcc
  • Polsilver Vendor
  • EU
User Info
(04-14-2015, 09:45 PM)jtyson Wrote: Interesting. I had a Mongoose, and couldn't get a good shave without using the Feather Super Pros and 4-5 passes. Goes to show that even with these high end products, YMMV is still a very true statement.

+1   Smile   Not enough aggressive and too heavy head,like hammer on my face,YMMV of course! 

31 426
 04-15-2015, 04:30 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
YMMV is interesting.  Even with my heavy Spanish beard and extensive familiarity with the Mongoose it does take the Super Pro's, as dcc said, at least 4 passes to get a decent shave. The Mongoose is a nice concept though.  

42 1,041