04-11-2015, 05:36 PM
User Info
I have been wet shaving for about 1 1/2 years now and recently acquired a Mergress short handle. I can say I think I am finally done buying and selling razors. I love this thing. BSS shave with no irritation and I shave with it every day. I set it on 5 and do 1 pass wtg, 1 pass atg then turn it down to 2 for touch ups xtg. I've had an ATT (R2, H2), 37c, 39c,R41(2011 & 2013) Feather AS-D2, Ikon slant and the progress and this razor is by far my favorite.  

6 75
 04-11-2015, 05:45 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Thats Great, it can be a long road to find a daily shaver that gives those results. Enjoy!

61 4,645
 04-11-2015, 09:21 PM
User Info
Great to hear you have found a razor that you love!  Thumbsup

83 21,115
 04-12-2015, 10:27 AM
User Info
Have only used the standard Progress but it really is a jewel.  I've recently been using it more often and it stands up to the rest my rotation (ATT Kronos R2, RazoRock Kiyara Slant).

10 2,062
 04-12-2015, 11:09 AM
User Info
The mergress shaves the same as the progress it just has a little more weight and the adjustment is tighter. Plus I like the way it looks with the aluminum handle instead of the yellow plastic.

6 75
 06-30-2015, 01:40 PM
User Info
As soon as I got my Mergress back from Eric and used it a couple of times I immediately sold my AS-D2.  I can honestly say that I get a much better shave with the Mergress than I did with the regular Progress.  Maybe it's because of the adjustments that Eric did when he tightened things up and made it more precise.  Who knows.  I just know that I now have my goto daily razor.

8 54
 06-30-2015, 01:43 PM
User Info
Thanks for sharing your experience.  I have the long handle with the XL dial.  It is a great shaver.

61 3,796
 06-30-2015, 10:37 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
+1

It took me years to finally try a Merkur Progress (I actually got a Mergress, like you).  I've bought and tried a lot of other razors, but the Mergress is the best of them all.  I use mine on the lowest setting and it gives me the best combination of gentle to the skin and an effectuve cut that I have found.

Congratulations on finding your final razor.  I'm inclined now to recommend this razor to all new wetshavers, because it will work for them whether they require a mild razor or an aggressive one, which can also change as their technique develops.

- Murray

4 1,150
 07-01-2015, 01:00 AM
User Info
This is one of the very best (mods) & thanks too "Eric" we now have the Mergress. in various forms, a fantastic job.

Charles  U.K

0 2,428
 07-01-2015, 04:53 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Reading this thread inspired me to find the Mergress in the den last night.  Its been awhile.  I was able to get on the list for the Wolfman, have been using the new Stealth Slant for the past week, but this mornings shave was wonderful with the Mergress.  Eric's modification enhances an already great razor.  The new razors are fun, well built and can be exceptional shavers but I would be hard pressed if I (ymmv) can get a better shave than the Mergress/Super Iridium combo. I love the rounded safety bar.  I think it was one of our Artisans, Vladimir, who described it as the perfect razor.  It's not an exciting offer as some these days but it just shaves beautifully.

42 1,041
 07-05-2015, 08:16 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
I love the Mergress.  In all honesty I cannot say it shaves differently from the Progress - they are both gems.  I had one Mergress, and recently had a second Progress converted, just to be consistent.

1 796
 07-07-2015, 03:39 PM
User Info
Having a love/hate with my Mergress.

I usually pull it back out when I read a positive post. I'll have 1 or 2 good shaves, then a few not so great, underwhelming shaves.
I should probably dedicate a few weeks to it for a real opinion. It is a work of art after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 391
 07-07-2015, 04:06 PM
User Info
Lee has some for sale.  I picked a back up for my XL.

61 3,796
 07-10-2015, 10:09 AM
  • 55dougie
  • Doug Korn's Workshop - Artisan
  • NY USA
User Info
Hey guys - just a quick question.... I just got my Mergress XL and I am wondering if the knob is supposed to "click" at each position or not. Mine does not click. I just turned it all the way tight and then back it off to 3, with no clicking at each setting. It's not like my Gillette adjustable. Is that right?

24 679
 07-10-2015, 10:13 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(07-10-2015, 10:09 AM)55dougie Wrote: Hey guys - just a quick question.... I just got my Mergress XL and I am wondering if the knob is supposed to "click" at each position or not. Mine does not click. I just turned it all the way tight and then back it off to 3, with no clicking at each setting. It's not like my Gillette adjustable. Is that right?

Good question and I'd like to know as well. I have one on the way and just assumed it clicked. I searched online for a user manual a few days ago and came up bupkis too.

2 1,180
 07-10-2015, 10:15 AM
User Info
(07-07-2015, 04:06 PM)hrfdez Wrote: Lee has some for sale.  I picked a back up for my XL.

On the XL you said that's a long handled with a knob, does it have the longer knob they offer or the shorter one? Also have you ever held a regular progress Long handle? If so about how much weight would you say it adds?? I'm a fan of heavy razors  and the progress long is already a nice weight IMO just curious as to how much weight difference there is?

3 1,356
 07-10-2015, 10:16 AM
User Info
(07-10-2015, 10:09 AM)55dougie Wrote: Hey guys - just a quick question.... I just got my Mergress XL and I am wondering if the knob is supposed to "click" at each position or not. Mine does not click. I just turned it all the way tight and then back it off to 3, with no clicking at each setting. It's not like my Gillette adjustable. Is that right?

That is the way it is designed.  Just make sure your dot in the cap is aligned with the arrow on the side of the razor, in the razor head.  Enjoy it!

61 3,796
 07-10-2015, 11:44 AM
  • 55dougie
  • Doug Korn's Workshop - Artisan
  • NY USA
User Info
(07-10-2015, 10:16 AM)hrfdez Wrote:

That is the way it is designed.  Just make sure your dot in the cap is aligned with the arrow on the side of the razor, in the razor head.  Enjoy it!

Thank you - that's what I was hoping...... dougie

24 679
 07-13-2015, 05:00 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
I have never been inclined to pick up a Progress/Mergress as I have a handful of Gillette adjustables that fill that niche and the Mergress is so tough to actually get.

Very happy that I ordered one in this last batch - I have a couple of shaves under the belt with the Mergress [short] I just received from Lee and I would have to echo the comments of the community.

It really is a solid shaver and where I notice remarkable performance is on my neck. For whatever reason, the Mergress just seems to smoothly chew through the "whirls" without any irritation.

I have been using 2 for WTG, 3 for XTG then 4 ATG with a return to 2 for any final buffing or cleanup. Honestly don't feel I need to increase the aggressiveness but have been just to see the performance.

Very much worth the buy and do agree this would make a great intro for a new wetshaver or those struggling with other razors IMHO.

Great service as always from Lee as well!

2 1,180
 07-14-2015, 09:47 AM
User Info
I ordered an Mergress XL from Lee when he had them in stock and had my first shave with it today. I set it at 2.5 and with a Polsilver blade was rewarded with a very close, comfortable shave. The downside was that I felt it was slippery and awkward to hold. I'll use it a few more times and hope I can find a better way to grip it as it seems to be a great shaver.

46 489