04-11-2015, 08:25 PM
User Info
Just pulled the trigger on an order for a puck of Ogallala's new soap, Bay Rum/Vanilla, and a 2 ounce bottle of their extra strength After Shave in the same scent.  Should be here sometime in the coming week as it's being shipped first class.  I have a lot of soaps in my shave soap rotation but I always have a puck of Ogallala shave soap (Bay Rum/Sandalwood) sitting sink side in an Old Spice shave mug, so it will be fun to see how this new scent compares

FWIW, I've always had an easy time making a good lather (I face lather exclusively) using Ogallala shave soap, and I can use it day after day, so long as I *don't* use a Bay Rum After Shave following the shave, and here I ordered their double strength A/S Rolleyes

I'll follow up with a review on this thread after I get a chance to use it a time or two  

0 12
 04-11-2015, 09:24 PM
User Info
Good luck with the soap!  Thumbsup

82 21,056
 04-12-2015, 06:02 AM
User Info
Ogallala (Bay Rum/ Sandlwood) is one of my favorite. I'm interested to hear what you think about the new scent.

0 27
 04-12-2015, 07:39 AM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
I tried their soaps and AS samplers from Fendrihan. My favourite was the Bay Rum and Sweet Orange, I thought it was a decent soap at a good price.  I loved their aftershaves, a great scent that lingers subtly for a while. I hope you like it!

28 1,620
 04-12-2015, 08:09 AM
User Info
I hope you can work up a better, more stable lather than I was able to with Ogallala soaps. Also, I found them to be EXTREMELY sensitive to heat, so proceed with caution if you are a scuttle user.

39 3,882
 05-17-2015, 12:48 AM
User Info
(04-12-2015, 06:02 AM)flrubi Wrote: Ogallala (Bay Rum/ Sandlwood) is one of my favorite.  I'm interested to hear what you think about the new scent.

~~~It's a winner for me!...I've used it at least a half dozen times, maybe more.  I think the vanilla compliments the bay rum quite nicely

0 12
 05-17-2015, 12:50 AM
User Info
(04-12-2015, 07:39 AM)jamesrobson5 Wrote: I tried their soaps and AS samplers from Fendrihan. My favourite was the Bay Rum and Sweet Orange, I thought it was a decent soap at a good price.  I loved their aftershaves, a great scent that lingers subtly for a while. I hope you like it!

I have sampled the bay rum/orange shave soap...you're right!, it is delightful,  and price wise, for under $6 a puck, you can't go wrong!

0 12
 05-17-2015, 12:58 AM
User Info
(04-12-2015, 08:09 AM)primotenore Wrote: I hope you can work up a better, more stable lather than I was able to with Ogallala soaps. Also, I found them to be EXTREMELY sensitive to heat, so proceed with caution if you are a scuttle user.

I've never had any problems building lather with Ogallala shave soaps.  My water tests at 250 PPM total hardness, not exactly hard water but not soft either.  I don't recall using any of my Ogallala shave soaps with the scuttle I have but I have experienced what you mentioned with others and maybe why I don't use the scuttle much anymore

That said, I'm a big fan of face lathering using a brush, and shave soap.  With Ogallala shave soaps, what I do is to get my brush soaked well, shake out all the water and start loading the brush on top of the soap.  If the surface appears day, then I'll dip the brush tips in water, but not all that much, so I don't get too much water in the mix.  If it's still too dry, I add a little more water the same way, but the secret for me anyways is to keep swirling (loading)

I will say that I find Ogallala shave soap to be a bit on the dry side of things, but you don't want to add too much water or else it will cut the soap too much and make it watery.  If for some reason I add too much water, I'll just keep loading and loading until the soap ratio picks up

Just guessing but I think the dryness with this soap comes from the fact the maker uses betonite clay?...just guessing, but I have good results using this shave soap and will always keep at least one puck on hand to use when the mood strikes  

0 12
 05-17-2015, 01:19 AM
User Info

Ogallala Bay Rum  Vanilla /Shave Soap  Their Extra Strength After Shave<script async src="https://embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">

The pic shows this soap (Ogallala Bay Rum Vanilla) in an Anchor Hocking glass (clear) desert dish.  FWIW, I placed the puck in this dish then micro waved it for 30 seconds, so it would melt and conform to the bowl.  the lid is sitting in the back ground.  And I like the fact lids come with these glass dishes, as it will keep your soap fresher than w/o using anything to cover it, and I should mention, the lid came with this dish

Also in this pic is a small bottle of Bay Rum/Vanilla After Shave, Double or Extra Strength, and believe me it is strong.  A little goes a long ways.  In fact, the maker states it's not for sissies

Anyways, I like this soap and A/S.  It works very well for me.  I should mention too, I bought just the one puck of Bay Rum Vanilla shave soap and the small sprayer of the same in after shave, for about $16 including shipping (IIRC).  Priced frugally IMO.  Not many shave soaps and after shaves out there you can buy together under $20 shipped CONUS to your door 

0 12