04-11-2015, 08:56 PM
User Info
Hey all!  I purchased a 23mm two-band fan brush a couple weeks. ago.  I decided to go with Thater after reading many positive reviews praising its softness.  I wanted a brush with some of the softest tips because I like to face lather but have sensitive skin, and the brush had to be easy to splay.  It has only been used for about 6 or so shaves.

Many of the hairs clump together when wet and give it this interesting appearance.  When the hairs do this, I notice they feel really nice and smooth while making circular motions on the face.  However, there are individual bristles throughout the brush that I believe are causing some slight irritation while I splay and make circular lathering motions on my face.  I'm sure this sounds pretty peculiar, but I am just really curious about this situation.  The fan-shaped knot splays almost instantly when wet on the face, which for me is a big plus!

I mentioned that the hairs that clumped together (the majority of them) have a smooth feel to them on the face, while the hairs that aren't clumped have a sort of sharp feel and might be causing some slight brush irritation on my face.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I'm not being exclusive to Thater, it can be any quality brush manufacturer?

Or is this part of some break-in period, where the hairs will eventually become less rigid and feel better on the face?  Im not really sure, so I'm posting here in hopes that someone will understand the situation and have a solid answer.  I would post a picture on here but I can't figure out how to attach an image from my computer desktop.

Thank you for reading this!

0 20
 04-12-2015, 04:08 PM
User Info
(04-11-2015, 08:56 PM)SavvySea Wrote: Hey all!  I purchased a 23mm two-band fan brush a couple weeks. ago.  I decided to go with Thater after reading many positive reviews praising its softness.  I wanted a brush with some of the softest tips because I like to face lather but have sensitive skin, and the brush had to be easy to splay.  It has only been used for about 6 or so shaves.

Many of the hairs clump together when wet and give it this interesting appearance.  When the hairs do this, I notice they feel really nice and smooth while making circular motions on the face.  However, there are individual bristles throughout the brush that I believe are causing some slight irritation while I splay and make circular lathering motions on my face.  I'm sure this sounds pretty peculiar, but I am just really curious about this situation.  The fan-shaped knot splays almost instantly when wet on the face, which for me is a big plus!

I mentioned that the hairs that clumped together (the majority of them) have a smooth feel to them on the face, while the hairs that aren't clumped have a sort of sharp feel and might be causing some slight brush irritation on my face.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I'm not being exclusive to Thater, it can be any quality brush manufacturer?

Or is this part of some break-in period, where the hairs will eventually become less rigid and feel better on the face?  Im not really sure, so I'm posting here in hopes that someone will understand the situation and have a solid answer.  I would post a picture on here but I can't figure out how to attach an image from my computer desktop.

Thank you for reading this!

It is going to get a little better in terms of that "jabbing" sort of feeling.  Thaters had a really crazy-soft batch of 2-band hair about two years ago but in the last year have seemingly transitioned to something not quite as gel-tipped.  This, combined with their fairly pronounce bulb shapes can give you that feeling for the first few shaves, and requires a little bit less of a "mash-and-dash" style of lathering later on, too.  I have had similar issues with Shavemac bulbs.

I tend to prefer fans as well, though.

16 249