04-12-2015, 10:12 PM
User Info
I've acquired so many soaps and creams (whole tubs and samples) over the past 4 months of DE shaving, I rarely use any one of them over a period of time. Fascinated by the mostly rave (and some contrarian) reviews of MdC and encouraged by the use of TOBS for the entirety of a two week vacation, I decided to use a sample of it for a week straight.  I figured this would give me an opportunity to dial in the soap and use it with a variety of brushes and blades.  I left my day-by-day comments in this  forum.  Over the two weeks I found MdC to mostly live up to its reputation as an easy lathering, slick, cushioning (debate on this) but also drying soap.  The later issues bothered me a bit, as I kept thinking that some of my other soaps, especially those with tallow provided better cushioning and better post shave feel.  But, maybe that's just my expectation, and not reality.  So to test this, I decided to try a week of soaps containing tallow.  If I had "the Fat", that would have been an easy choice for a week's investigation, but alas, no MWF for me.  So, I've decided to try a different tallow soap each day for the next week.  Up front, I admit that my expectation is that the tallow feel will get progressively better over the week as it hydrates my skin.  Up front, I also admit that it may not be the tallow per se, but the fact that many of these soaps have additional moisturizers like shea and kokum butter.  Anyway,   I'll try to follow the format I used with MdC for shaving and evaluation of the completed shave.

Sunday: I started the week with a soap that boasts that it is a "magnifique hydrater", Cold River Soap Works' American Barbershop.  It has lanolin, kokum butter & shea butter in addition to tallow.  Here's what I said about it in the MdC thread today:
Quote:I used my SOC 2-band badger, loading for 20 seconds.  Got very rich lather for 3+. Nice fresh scent.  I expected the lather to feel more fatty and cushioning. I can't say I felt that.  It was good and rich, but not noticeably thicker than the MdC.  Equally slick.  One very small weeper with my ATT and a new Bolzano blade.  This occurred on an ATG pass above my mouth, a common problem for me.  Otherwise a 3 pass + touch-up BBS.  The real difference today is the post shave feel.  Skin seems softer.  Very smooth, but a little more pliable. Don't feel the need for ASB.  I actually thought it would feel even more moisturized, but maybe that's too much to expect after a full week of MdC. 
Priimo suggested that I try Mystic Water next.  I have some samples and will use one tomorrow.

4 100
 04-13-2015, 04:17 PM
User Info
   Monday: SOC badger again.  As per Primotenore's suggestion, I used a Mystic Waters soap today.  It is a sample of Cedar & Sage that I hadn't used in maybe a month.  Very invigorating predominately cedar scent that reminds me of the SV Felce.  Loaded for about 20 sec, wet my face with cold water and face lathered.  Got a lot of creamy lather.  As in the past, some of the lather seemed to dissipate near the end of the pass. As usual, I was able to do a 3 pass shave plus left over for touch-ups.  No weepers. Shave was slick and seemed moderately cushioning. My face was literally squeaky clean at the end.  Everything washed off well with cold water.  My face feels soft and pliable, better feel than MdC post shave, maybe a hair less hydrating than yeserday's Cold River (very close) .  Still, a great shave.
    The mail just came and the Simpson's Colonel that I snagged on the BST Friday night just arrived.  I did a test lather and it's on deck for tomorrow.  With what?  Maybe to keep the American tallow theme going, I'll use Strop Shoppe Pomegranate Cider.  Yum!

4 100
 04-13-2015, 05:03 PM
User Info
I hope B&M and MLS are on the docket for this week, they're two of my favorite tallow soaps.

15 1,018
 04-13-2015, 09:17 PM
User Info
Well, I have some samples of B&M and will use one of them on Thursday.  Unfortunately I don't have any Mickey Lee Soapworks.  I guess I should sub in a Mike's Natural for that. I have some samples of his left.

4 100
 04-14-2015, 06:09 AM
User Info
I am a big believer that Tallow can really boost that post shave feel. There are very few soaps that are non tallow that match the performance and post shave of a tallow soap. Only Soap Commander and Caties Bubbles for me take that spot. 

Good luck with your experiment Smile 

4 642
 04-14-2015, 01:35 PM
User Info
   Tuesday: Used my newly acquired Simpson Colonel X2L Best Badger brush to face lather Strop Shoppe Limited Edition Pomegranate Cider.  I've enjoyed SS since I got some samples of it from Maggard's a couple of months ago and I got a new small tub of the Pomegranate Cider off of BST that I used twice before.  The SS LE soaps contain cocoa butter, shea butter, and lanolin in addition to tallow. Followed my usual procedure and loaded the brush for 20 sec and then face lathered, adding water along the way.  Got enough creamy, lather for 4 passes plus some touch-up.  Very good glide and cushion.  Face rinse off with cold was easy, but had some lather stick to the blade (a 3 use Bolzano in my ATT M2).  Nice BBS.  Squeaky clean wet face.  Post shave feels best yet (I don't know if it is the SS or the 3-day tallow cumulative effect).  No urge to use any post shave treatment, either immediately or 4 hours later.
     I'll use a couple of more US tallows that I have (B&M, Mike's), then either I'll go with other scents of those or move on to some European tallows (e.g., PannaCrema, RR, Wickham, and maybe finish with Cella... oops, that  would be more than a week).

4 100
 04-14-2015, 01:54 PM
User Info
(04-14-2015, 01:35 PM)ChampagneGary2 Wrote: ..... I'll use a couple of more US tallows that I have (B&M, Mike's), then either I'll go with other scents of those or move on to some European tallows (e.g., PannaCrema, RR, Wickham, and maybe finish with Cella... oops, that  would be more than a week).

I didn't think Wickham made a tallow soap?  I always hear good things about them but last I looked I didn't see a tallow soap, which is why I have yet to pull the trigger on one

16 249
 04-14-2015, 02:07 PM
User Info
Quote:I didn't think Wickham made a tallow soap?  I always hear good things about them but last I looked I didn't see a tallow soap, which is why I have yet to pull the trigger on one

You are right, I stand corrected.  Wickham's animal product is potassium lardate, not tallow.  Different beasts, I guess.  I'll strike it off my list for this project, even though it is an excellent soap.

4 100
 04-14-2015, 02:26 PM
User Info
(04-14-2015, 01:35 PM)ChampagneGary2 Wrote:    Tuesday: Used my newly acquired Simpson Colonel X2L Best Badger brush to face lather Strop Shoppe Limited Edition Pomegranate Cider.  I've enjoyed SS since I got some samples of it from Maggard's a couple of months ago and I got a new small tub of the Pomegranate Cider off of BST that I used twice before.  The SS LE soaps contain cocoa butter, shea butter, and lanolin in addition to tallow. Followed my usual procedure and loaded the brush for 20 sec and then face lathered, adding water along the way.  Got enough creamy, lather for 4 passes plus some touch-up.  Very good glide and cushion.  Face rinse off with cold was easy, but had some lather stick to the blade (a 3 use Bolzano in my ATT M2).  Nice BBS.  Squeaky clean wet face.  Post shave feels best yet (I don't know if it is the SS or the 3-day tallow cumulative effect).  No urge to use any post shave treatment, either immediately or 4 hours later.
     I'll use a couple of more US tallows that I have (B&M, Mike's), then either I'll go with other scents of those or move on to some European tallows (e.g., PannaCrema, RR, Wickham, and maybe finish with Cella... oops, that  would be more than a week).

Strop Shoppe's LE is my benchmark soap. Never used anything so fantastic in all aspects.

15 1,018
 04-15-2015, 06:35 PM
User Info
   Wednesday: Scooped out a small sample of B&M LaVanille and pressed it into the bottom of the bowl.  I was a little chintzy and didn't cover the entire bottom and had to reload after the first pass.  Soaked my Omega 10066 in warm water, squeezed it out and loaded for 25 seconds.  I don't know if is the soap or the small amount in the bowl, but this is more loading than I've done recently with any other soap.  However the lather (adding water to what some people consider a "thirsty" soap).  Lots of creamy cushion.  Glide was slick.  Good protection, although the new Gillette super sharp (yellow) blade in my ATT R1 managed to nick me twice on the ATG pass. Otherwise a damn fine shave (very close to BBS, but there are no cotton balls in the house to objectify that).  Post shave feels soft.

I love the LaVanille. It smells great and even looks foreboding, it is so dark.  
   So far the American tallow soaps are giving smooth shaves, nice protection, and excellent face feel.  Yes, the face is facerbation-worthy with ASB.

4 100
 04-16-2015, 09:35 PM
User Info
   Thursday: I had a sample of Mike's Natural Soap Hungarian Lavender covering most of the bottom of a plastic tub.  I hadn't used it in about a month, so since it is a tallow soap, and highly regarded by many, thought I would try it next.  It contains lanolin, shea butter and kokum butter in addition to the tallows.  I loaded for about 25 seconds on my Simpson Colonel and added water as I face lathered as was normal.  As with yesterday,  I felt that I needed to reload a few seconds to get more lather going during the second pass.  Again, it might have been a function of using a sample rather than a full tub. Good rich lather.  A little drying at the end of each of 3+ passes.  God glide and cushion. It produced a smooth shave with a couple of weepers on the ATG pass with the ATT Colossus and Gillette yellow (day 2).  Face felt squeaky clean and very smooth, but I felt that the face was not as moisturized as the other tallow soaps.  Post shave feel was smooth & soft, but I didn't particularly feel the soft suppleness of some of the other tallow soaps.  Maybe I'm just jaded. Anyway, a beautiful shave.

I'll have to see what tomorrow brings.  Another scent of one of my American soap samples, or a trip to Italy?

4 100
 04-17-2015, 08:02 AM
User Info
(04-16-2015, 09:35 PM)ChampagneGary2 Wrote: ...I felt that I needed to reload a few seconds to get more lather going during the second pass.  Again, it might have been a function of using a sample rather than a full tub...

There is no shame in going back to the puck for a little more product.  I don't understand why the shaving bullies on the web make you feel like less of a man if you have to touch the puck again?  Biggrin

It has just always bugged me when someone acts like that is such a crime against humanity, it's a soap.

Gary, so far, how does the tallow feel based against the MdC of last week?

21 555
 04-17-2015, 09:15 PM
User Info
(04-17-2015, 08:02 AM)BriDroid Wrote:
(04-16-2015, 09:35 PM)ChampagneGary2 Wrote: ...I felt that I needed to reload a few seconds to get more lather going during the second pass.  Again, it might have been a function of using a sample rather than a full tub...

There is no shame in going back to the puck for a little more product.  I don't understand why the shaving bullies on the web make you feel like less of a man if you have to touch the puck again?  Biggrin

It has just always bugged me when someone acts like that is such a crime against humanity, it's a soap.

Gary, so far, how does the tallow feel based against the MdC of last week?

Brian,
   So far, after six days of tallow, my face seems smoother and softer than at the end of the week of MdC.

Friday: Today I switched countries and used an Italian tallow soap, PannaCrema Nemaste.  In addition to saponified tallow, PannaCrema constains shea butter, castor oil, coconut oil, and glycerin for moisturizing.  I loaded for about 25 seconds and again another 5 seconds after the first pass (Brian, thanks for the pass on this)!  I used my SOC 2-band badger and ATT M2 with 3 day-old yellow Gillette.  As usual, I face lathered, adding water as I went.  Got a rich lather for 3 passes plus clean up, with more left in the brush at the end.  The razor glided well and protection was good... no weepers.  I did have a little irritation under my jawline.  The face felt very smooth all over and very soft.  I didn't use any post shave treatment until about 5 hours later when I applied some Nivea regular ASB to sooth the jawline irritation. 

Tomorrow I think I'll use the classic Cella in the red tub to end the week of tallow and evaluate things.  So far... so good.

4 100
 04-18-2015, 05:35 PM
User Info
   Saturday: Finished the week of tallow with the first soap I used when I returned to DE shaving after many, many years (well, OK, I used an old can of Barbasol for my first shave while waiting for the Cella & Proraso to arrive from Italian Barber).  I have the small red tub and used my Simpson Colonel X2l to swill for about 25 seconds.  I barely got 3 passes out of it, but the lather was rich and slick, mostly like the other tallow soaps this week (and, frankly, like the MDC).  It did have good cushioning (better than MdC) and yielded a damn fine (near BBS) shave. Everything rinsed off easily, and while I did not feel the need for ASB, I thought initially that it was a little drying.  I didn't apply any post shave product, and three hours later, my skin feels soft, pliable, and nicely shiny in the mirror.  Apart from the tallow, the Cella doesn't have the butters or lanolin that some of the artisan soaps have, so maybe that's where the better feeling of moisturizing comes from. 
   After a week of tallow, it is a little difficult to make a call versus a veggie soap like MdC. Certainly MdC helped produce some nice shaves, and the skin didn't feel dry... more like it didn't feel as soft and slick as the tallow ones.  Again, perhaps it is the additional ingredients like shea and kokum butter that contribute that extras softness and moisture to the skin, and there are some veggie soaps that contain some of these ingredients (although it looks like MdC eschews most of these other than glycerin).  I'll try a few of my RazorRock tallows, then switch to my other sample of MdC for an A-B-A comparison of MdC-tallow-MdC and report on that later.

4 100
 04-18-2015, 05:38 PM
User Info
(04-14-2015, 06:09 AM)Windsor Citrus Wrote: I am a big believer that Tallow can really boost that post shave feel. There are very few soaps that are non tallow that match the performance and post shave of a tallow soap.
PdP, Provence Sante, RR 888 and KL (discontinued).

8 2,718