04-13-2015, 10:40 AM
User Info
I recently ordered samples of a bunch of Soap Commander soap. I had a full tub of Vision before and thought it was good soap, but I wasn't thrilled with the scent. This time I decided to go the sample route. I ordered Inspiration (Japanese Grapefruit), Motivation (Cucumber & Bamboo), Purpose (Bay Rum), Relaxation (White Tea & Ginger), Respect (Lime Patchouli), and Renewal (Floral Fougere).

Inspiration has a very nice mild grapefruit/mandarin kind of scent. I like it. Motivation smells like a spa to me, nice but feminine. Purpose... well, I'm not really a big bay rum guy anyway, but this one confused my nose a bit. Sometimes I got a bit of a root beer-vibe, sometimes a weak cleaning product. Relaxation is a bit medicinal, but pleasant enough.

Respect surprised me. I'm not big on patchouli, but I get mostly a lime hit, and the patchouli makes it more earthy and not sweet, so it doesn't smell like a lime lifesaver. I really like it! Last was Renewal, which initially smelled a lot like Irish Spring to me. Green, but with a sharp floral note. The more I used this one the more I liked it. It's just very fresh and invigorating.

SC is a harder soap than many artisan soaps, and the performance of all the scents was the same. Very easy to lather, with great slickness and after-shave feel, even though there's no tallow.

I don't know exactly what Darren and Carrie do that is different, but lime soaps and fougeres often cause me at least a little skin irritation, and there was none at all with Soap Commander. Long story short, full tubs of Respect and Renewal are arriving today. I have way too many soaps, but I couldn't resist.

9 112
 04-13-2015, 12:08 PM
User Info
Thanks for the reviews! Soap Commander has been on my radar for awhile, just can't decide which I want!

15 1,021
 04-13-2015, 12:36 PM
User Info
I was hunting for a long time for a scent of Soap Commanders I liked. When Inspiration came out I snapped it up because it was right up my street. 

It is a great Grapefruit/Manderin scent as you say. I really like it and will be great in the summer. I used it this morning actually along with the balm which is also very good. The balm also has a nice menthol hit.

Soap Commander is the only one or two vegan soaps I have (the other being Caties Bubbles). The only two that come close to the same after shave feel as tallow soaps.

Soap commander have great service as well. They were committed to helping me find a scent I liked.

4 642
 04-13-2015, 12:44 PM
User Info
Grapefruit would have been my next choice if I had ordered another tub. As it is, my teenage daughter appropriated the sample and has used it up.

I haven't tried the balms yet, but I did order one to accompany both the Renewal and Respect tubs. Looking forward to giving them a try.

9 112
 04-13-2015, 01:22 PM
User Info
(04-13-2015, 12:36 PM)Windsor Citrus Wrote: I was hunting for a long time for a scent of Soap Commanders I liked. When Inspiration came out I snapped it up because it was right up my street. 

It is a great Grapefruit/Manderin scent as you say. I really like it and will be great in the summer. I used it this morning actually along with the balm which is also very good. The balm also has a nice menthol hit.

Soap Commander is the only one or two vegan soaps I have (the other being Caties Bubbles). The only two that come close to the same after shave feel as tallow soaps.

Soap commander have great service as well. They were committed to helping me find a scent I liked.

Excellent point. If they put a dab of menthol or peppermint in Inspiration it would be my summer soap choice hands down.

15 1,021
 04-14-2015, 06:14 AM
User Info
(04-13-2015, 01:22 PM)crazindndude Wrote:
(04-13-2015, 12:36 PM)Windsor Citrus Wrote: I was hunting for a long time for a scent of Soap Commanders I liked. When Inspiration came out I snapped it up because it was right up my street. 

Excellent point. If they put a dab of menthol or peppermint in Inspiration it would be my summer soap choice hands down.
I agree, just a dab of menthol would be good for me but for now I am happy with it in the balm.

If your interested in a grapefruit/menthol soap then I believe there is rumour Mickey Lee is going to do just that for summer.

OP, did you get the balms with menthol or without? I am sure either will be great for you but I do like my balm with the menthol. 

4 642
 04-14-2015, 06:23 AM
User Info
I wasn't aware that they made it without... there's just the one kind of balm on the site. They do have a lotion without menthol that could be used as a balm I suppose.

In any case I used the fougere balm with menthol this morning, and it's great! It's a pretty small amount of menthol, not enough to do any face freezing but just enough to add a little bit of extra zing. 

9 112
 04-14-2015, 07:52 AM
User Info
(04-14-2015, 06:23 AM)DesertJake Wrote: I wasn't aware that they made it without... there's just the one kind of balm on the site. They do have a lotion without menthol that could be used as a balm I suppose.

In any case I used the fougere balm with menthol this morning, and it's great! It's a pretty small amount of menthol, not enough to do any face freezing but just enough to add a little bit of extra zing. 

I couldn't remember if you got the decision with their balms to have menthol or not. It might not be SC and I am getting confused with Reef Point Balms.

Your right that it's a nice amount of menthol, enjoy.

4 642
 04-14-2015, 07:53 AM
User Info
Would you be able to compare the Respect to something like Mike's Lime? I had a tin of Mike's Lime and traded it away. I picked it up again, but the scent doesn't seem to be as I remember - I remember it being a very dry lime and the one I have I can discern the clay in it a little more than I like.

22 653
 04-14-2015, 07:53 AM
User Info
I had some amazon money that I needed to spend last weekend, I was really looking at this soap but they had very few choices and the word patchouli kept coming up on the ones they had. Was thinking I wanted motivation or inspiration, neither of which was sold there so I bailed and got Cattie's Bubbles Ocean Grove. Too bad they don't have more scents, inspiration sounds like it would be nice.

4 105
 04-14-2015, 08:46 AM
User Info
(04-14-2015, 07:53 AM)Starkicker Wrote: Would you be able to compare the Respect to something like Mike's Lime? I had a tin of Mike's Lime and traded it away. I picked it up again, but the scent doesn't seem to be as I remember - I remember it being a very dry lime and the one I have I can discern the clay in it a little more than I like.

I had Mike's lime at one point, but it's been a long time so I'm not sure I could compare them well. As I recall, Mike's was a lime I really liked, not as lime-candy scented as RazoRock and not as much clay scent as Sterling. I don't know if anything has changed since I had that tin.

But from memory, Respect has a deeper earthier (but not claylike) quality. I don't discern patchouli specifically (which is good because I'm not really a fan), but it definitely combines with the scent to give it something extra. The fresh lime scent is the dominant component though. Because of the patchouli in the description I had to get a sample first, but the sample convinced me to get a full tub. I'll be using it and the balm tomorrow.

9 112
 04-16-2015, 02:13 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
I like the Respect, limes and patchouli pretty well, it's an intriguing scent and the reason I bought it; it is my only SC soap. I don't have Mike's lime, but if you took Maggards Limes and Bergamot and put a dab of patchouli in place of the bergamot, it would be close. That is, mostly lime, but the patchouli makes an interesting foil to the lime. The closest scent I've smelled in terms of general impression is CRSW bergamot and bay, with the bergamot being the citrus and the bay the earthier compliment.

Cheers, Steve

7 471