04-13-2015, 07:40 PM
User Info
I'm a that point in my wet shaving career where I feel the first signs of lack of inspiration  Blush

I feel I own every badger, boar and synthetic shaving brush I could possibly want to own - I have managed to collect what I call the perfect monthly rotation - since I own 31 PRIME badgers, 1 backup badger, one boar (Semogue 620 - the rest of my boars are gone) and one synthetic for travelling. I have sold more than 100 brushes since 2013, so I have been around the block.

I got rid of my perfect DE razor collection last year, and have moved on to my trusty Fusion with luxury handles from Plisson, Mühle, Edwin Jagger and then use my 2 Mongeese and my Feather Japanese Straight.

I own 200+ shaving creams and soaps, and all the best after shave aplashes and balms and my fragrance collection just hit the magic number of 500 full bottles - niche and designer mixed.

I enjoy my shaves, enjoy the routine, but I miss that juvenile feel I felt at the beginning of this journey. It's gone  Sad

Do any of you out there know that feeling ?

Need  to see my wet shaving shrink soon  Tongue

24 5,841
 04-13-2015, 07:47 PM
User Info
You need to try Mystic Water's new Poggio dei Pini, then! Not only for the wonderful scent, but for a new challenge! 
Take the 30-day challenge to see how you get on with the soap. This will give you something new to focus your energy on.  Biggrin
You could also starting taking some SOTD pics! That might help.

I get excited each morning just knowing I get to use a scent I haven't used in over one week or so with one of my brushes! 
I guess I'll always just be a kid at heart until I move on to my next journey in life.  Hello

Good luck, Claus and I hope you can get find your inspiration, again! 

82 21,056
 04-13-2015, 09:27 PM
User Info
There is always more stuff to inspire, I have over 300 soaps and creams, and reached that why am I doing this point a few years ago. I have a 120 plus fragrance collection, I am now duplicating a lot as many items have been discontinued. I have virtually every system/cartridge razor, and their clones if good enough. I still purchase innovative or interesting soaps and creams, but I am very happy with my top 3. I have collected one specific discontinued cart razor in particular, so that I have over 20-30 copies. I am now very interested in synthetic brushes, when previously I was very happy with Omega boar's, I have never had a large badger collection (I only have two). Maybe I haven't reached your point, apart from soaps and creams. But when did wet shaving become a career?   Cool

0 278
 04-13-2015, 09:42 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I have no clue what you are talking about Claus.  It would take me a lifetime to amass the amount of products you have.  I would have to build a spare room just to store it.  So no, I do not have that problem.

175 23,752
 04-14-2015, 02:59 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

"There is no wide road which leads to the Muses," wrote Propertius in his Elegies, in 28 B.C.

After all these years of traditional shaving, mostly with the straight razor, the morning shave is still one of life's pleasures for me, and I can't wait to lather up and strop my razor first thing in the morning. For me, what razor, brush or product I own is of little consequence when coupled with the time I spend with my thoughts.

My two lovely daughters, when growing up, would say, "I'm bored," and my answer always was, "As long as you have a mind, you should never be bored."

So yes, gentlemen, with every morning shave I create my own inspiration.

145 2,947
 04-14-2015, 03:08 AM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
Lol I thought 3 was the magic number. 

To be serious, I kind of know what you're talking about.  I don't have anywhere close to the stuff you do, but I get a similar feeling cruising the forums these days.  In the beginning there is so much to read about and Learn.  Soaps, creams, brushes, DEs, straights, hones, AS, and round and round again.  It's such a fun hobby and the shaves are great.  then you get to the point where the umpteenth thread about lathering mwf or how to take apart a fatboy is just not as fun as it used to be.  The shaves are still great, but the sense of discovery is gone.  Or maybe is on a long break

17 437
 04-14-2015, 04:20 AM
User Info
Agreed, struggling with boredom in this hobby myself as well.  Have tried most of the soaps, aftershaves, and razors that I care to, and seem to spend most of my time skimming thru the forums looking for a thread that looks somewhat interesting.  

Rarely find anything on the BST anymore that excites me, and have the same problem with my watch hobby.

Have a few brushes on order that should be in in the next few months, but other than that nothing too exciting going on.

52 1,175
 04-14-2015, 04:44 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I guess we all get to that point eventually, some sooner than others. I am there now myself after a short run. OTH nothing wrong with being contented with what you have and not feeling the need to acquire everything that comes along either. That is a good place too.

Bob

0 1,694
 04-14-2015, 05:01 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
As with any other hobby, it's perfectly natural to reach a stage where 1) you've passed the initial acquisition frenzy  2) you've been able to acquire some (or most) of your holy grails  3) you've experienced most brands and types of products available on the market, and you've found those ideal products that work really well for you.

Personally, I've been through all those stages, but still find that my daily shave is one of the best parts of my day, and I definitely miss it when I don't have the opportunity to shave. Not only that, but as someone said recently, we are lucky to be living in an age where there is not only the chance for a global community like this one to interact and communicate, but there are also so many artisans, allowing for an almost infinite range of products and regular releases - in that respect, this hobby is much more interesting now then it would've probably been a few decades back.

26 4,895
 04-14-2015, 05:14 AM
User Info
Been a little uninspired lately, but I've found that a nice shave helps me recharge - despite not having a perfect rotation yet  Biggrin

3 4,373
 04-14-2015, 05:34 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(04-14-2015, 02:59 AM)Obie Wrote: Gentlemen,

"There is no wide road which leads to the Muses," wrote Propertius in his Elegies, in 28 B.C.

After all these years of traditional shaving, mostly with the straight razor, the morning shave is still one of life's pleasures for me, and I can't wait to lather up and strop my razor first thing in the morning. For me, what razor, brush or product I own is of little consequences when coupled with the time I spend with my thoughts.

My two lovely daughters, when growing up, would say, "I'm bored," and my answer always was, "As long as you have a mind, you should never be bored."

Very well stated, Obie.  And only you would quote Propertius. Smile

175 23,752
 04-14-2015, 06:09 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(04-14-2015, 05:34 AM)Johnny Wrote:
(04-14-2015, 02:59 AM)Obie Wrote: Gentlemen,

After all these years of traditional shaving, mostly with the straight razor, the morning shave is still one of life's pleasures for me, and I can't wait to lather up and strop my razor first thing in the morning. For me, what razor, brush or product I own is of little consequence when coupled with the time I spend with my thoughts.

Very well stated, Obie.  And only you would quote Propertius. Smile
How kind you are, my friend Johnny. Thank you.

145 2,947
 04-14-2015, 06:18 AM
User Info
(04-13-2015, 07:40 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I'm a that point in my wet shaving career where I feel the first signs of lack of inspiration  Blush

I feel I own every badger, boar and synthetic shaving brush I could possibly want to own - I have managed to collect what I call the perfect monthly rotation - since I own 31 PRIME badgers, 1 backup badger, one boar (Semogue 620 - the rest of my boars are gone) and one synthetic for travelling. I have sold more than 100 brushes since 2013, so I have been around the block.

I got rid of my perfect DE razor collection last year, and have moved on to my trusty Fusion with luxury handles from Plisson, Mühle, Edwin Jagger and then use my 2 Mongeese and my Feather Japanese Straight.

I own 200+ shaving creams and soaps, and all the best after shave aplashes and balms and my fragrance collection just hit the magic number of 500 full bottles - niche and designer mixed.

I enjoy my shaves, enjoy the routine, but I miss that juvenile feel I felt at the beginning of this journey. It's gone  Sad

My only suggestion is to focus more on the pleasure and relaxation of shaving and focus less on "acquisition of things". More does not necessarily mean better. Good luck Claus, we at the Nook enjoy your enthusiastic posts.  Biggrin

39 3,875
 04-14-2015, 06:25 AM
User Info
I find restraint satisfying. Trying some new software feels better after I earn it by working through a prior acquisition.
Using new razors via tours has been a pleasure.
It would be fun to try some other brushes, including high-end ones, but they're less suited to tours and I don't feel compelled to invest that heavily.

8 896
 04-14-2015, 07:06 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Sure I think we all get some lack of inspiration every once in a while.  But we happen upon things that do inspire us.  For me it's recently been the Razorock Stealth Slant and Baby Smooth aluminum anodized razors.  I look forward to these in the morning even over the Mongoose or Progress.  Rory touched on something.  I am following Michael Freedberg's practice of working through a soap/cream from start to finish.  All the way.  Finished a pot of St. James, working on CRSW Spring & probably will attack Caties LMR next.  Highly satisfying getting to really know a soap.  I just got tired of having too many open soaps and products lying around.  Getting leaner brought back the "inspiration" like the Boston marathon I'm training for next Monday!

42 1,041
 04-14-2015, 07:18 AM
User Info
Shaving is 20min a day for me.  If I can get an enjoyable shave, using great smelling and performing products that leave my face feeling great all day, I'm happy.

I'm done searching used shops, buying and selling every week and use my time and efforts on hobbies and family which I can enjoy the entire day.

I don't think about shaving all the time or multiple times during the day, don't pop into the bathroom to smell my soaps any more.  Yes, I still enjoy the forums and reading about new products, but even that....my time is more spent in "non-Shaving" sections but still with other Wet Shavers.

8 2,718
 04-14-2015, 07:25 AM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
I understand what you mean. For some of us, a large part of the fun, is the hunt. Part of the reason we're at the Nook, is research for the hunt. (Of course we stay for the camaraderie)

One of my family's favorite movies is "The Princess Bride". In it there is a character that has spent his whole life hunting down the man that killed his father, in front of him, when he was a boy. By the end of the movie, he has found and killed him. When the heroes all split up to go back to their lives, he is asked "where will be able to find you, what will you do now?" He answered that he had been "in the revenge business" so long" he had never in his life considered what he would do afterwards. He was completely aimless. I think that might be sort of what happens when the "perfect rotation" is found.

I'm not there with my shaving yet, but another passion of mine is fountain pens. I found one that I liked better than all my others. I put a nib in it that was more to my liking. I tried over a hundred inks in it, to find one with the perfect properties for it. I started using it "out of turn" in the rotation, and eventually it became the only pen I carried to work. The fountain pen forums I had visited daily, I haven't visited in weeks. I'm very happy, but it's almost as if that part of my life has shut down. That hunt is over. I should thank you for this thread, because it has rekindled that passion in me. It's not like there are no more pens for me to try! And I hadn't realized it, but I do miss some of the people on those forums. 

One of the things I do when shaving gets too routine, is to go back to the equipment I started with. It sounds as if you no longer have yours, but it's fun to see how much better it suddenly works now, with several years of experience under my belt. I know you've been doing some experimenting lately too, with the boars, and types of soap, and such.  Stick around and share your knowledge. Eventually someone will say, or do, invent , or re-invent something that will rekindle your passion. I can pretty much guarantee it.

0 272
 04-14-2015, 08:24 AM
User Info
My apologies as I hit the wrong button.   Blush

82 21,056
 04-14-2015, 08:26 AM
User Info
(04-14-2015, 02:59 AM)Obie Wrote: "As long as you have a mind, you should never be bored."

Thumbup

(04-14-2015, 07:18 AM)Bruce Wrote: I don't pop into the bathroom to smell my soaps any more. 
I still do this, almost every day!  Biggrin

82 21,056
 04-14-2015, 08:42 AM
User Info
(04-14-2015, 06:18 AM)primotenore Wrote:
(04-13-2015, 07:40 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I'm a that point in my wet shaving career where I feel the first signs of lack of inspiration  Blush

My only suggestion is to focus more on the pleasure and relaxation of shaving and focus less on "acquisition of things". More does not necessarily mean better. Good luck Claus, we at the Nook enjoy your enthusiastic posts.  Biggrin

+1

147 3,461