04-14-2015, 02:43 AM
User Info
Time to trim down the hone collection. The hones I'm listing here are all going to be excellent finishers - some better than others. I'll be listing them over a few days, after I've had a chance to try each of them out again, so the comments I make about them are accurate. 

----------------

2) Charnley Forest #2 - part-boxed - $80 shipped US

This is a another great example of a Charnley Forest Hone. It has a beautiful dark green colour with a few reddish spots around the hone. 

It is also very fine - it adds keenness after a coticule or Escher/Thuri. Charnleys are 'surface' hones. No need for slurry (in fact, that would have a negative effect on the hone). This surface needs to be burnished to get the best edges off the hone. This specific Charnley already has had the burnishing done, and it is very fine. 

It works best with a light honing oil - giving a mirror-edge to the razor. However, it also works with water or soapy water. A thicker oil would make it even finer, but will be much slower. I also think this hone will get finer with use. Like all Charnleys, it is slow. The surface is mostly flat with two corners not being all the way flat, but it will not get in the way of honing. If you decide to lap it, you will have to recondition the surface to get the keenness this hone can provide. 

The dimensions on this stone are about: 7" x 1 3/4" x 1/2". This hone can be removed from the base, and like most Charnleys, it doesn't have a flat underside. It has a base box, but no cover. The base matches the profile of the hone.

[Image: IMG_20150416_184830.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20150416_184838.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20150416_184855.jpg]

3) Charnley Forest #3 - no box - $100 shipped US

This is a very typical Charnley Forest hone - large, and a really fine finisher. 

Like the others, it is very fine - it adds keenness after a coticule or Escher/Thuri. However, this one has been getting finer with use. This surface needs to be burnished to get the best edges off the hone, and I don't believe this has reached its true potential yet. The underside of this hone has also been lapped flat, but it is coarser than the top, as it hasn't been burnished yet. 

It works best with a light honing oil - giving a mirror-edge to the razor. However, it also works with water or soapy water. A thicker oil would make it even finer, but will be much slower. I also think this hone will get finer with use. Like all Charnleys, it is slow, but it is faster than the others because of its size (needs fewer laps). 

The dimensions on this stone are about: 8 1/2" x 1 3/4" x 7/8". 

[Image: IMG_20150416_184735.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20150416_184740.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20150416_184751.jpg]

7) La Grosse Jaune Coticule natural combo - $80 shipped US

This is a rare example of the scarce La Grosse Jaune coticule layer. It has a very yellow speckled surface that is slow on slurry and slow on water. The hone is pictured here dry, but it gets more intensely yellow when the surface is wet. It is very hard (for a coticule). It puts a really sharp, mellow edge on a blade. It is a combo with the BBW side also being very nice for honing on. 

The hone is measures in at around 6 1/8" x 1 1/4" x 5/8". The coticule layer varies from 5/16" - 4/16". 

[Image: IMG_20150416_185007.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20150416_185014.jpg]

9) Llyn Idwal (Grecian) hone - $75 shipped US. 

This is another Llyn Idwal hone - it is one of the hones that was sold under the 'Grecian' brand name, but it is not from Greece. This one is softer than the one above and it is pretty fast on oil. I like the edge from this hone, but I'd use it more as a pre-finisher. There may be more that can be squeezed from this hone, but I haven't had the time to work on it. 

This hone is a nice size: 7 3/4" x 2" x 13/16". 

[Image: IMG_20150416_185026.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20150416_185030.jpg]

SOLD!!! C12K + slurry stone - $35 shipped US

First up, we have the C12K - or the PHIG - or the Guanxi - whatever you like to call it. This hone is sourced from China and is actually a really good hone. 
It is the 8" x 3" x 1.5" version - runs about $40 in stores. Not all of them are good. This one is a really good one. Very fine, and very hard. 
Anyone who's had one of these knows that they're very hard to lap. This one is lapped on one side, and is ready to hone razors. You should never need to lap it again if you're only using it for razors. It comes with a matched slurry stone that helps speed up the honing. 
COMMENTS: This hone is really only good for touch-ups or to polish the edge on a razor. Whether it is 12,000 grit or not is up for debate, but it is very fine. The edges I get off this hone are smooth and very comfortable - comparable to a vintage thuri. It's too slow for much more than putting a final edge on a razor. 
It would make a great hone for someone who wants to keep their razors in shape. It's waaayyyyy smoother than any barber hone you can buy (and costs the same amount as a Swaty). It's a good beginner hone, but can also be used by more experienced people. 

[Image: IMG_20150414_062701.jpg]
SOLD!! 1) Charnley Forest #1 - Boxed - $75 shipped US

This is a great example of a Charnley Forest Hone. It has a beautiful green colour with a reddish streak midway through the hone. 

It is very fine - it adds keenness after a coticule or Escher/Thuri. Charnleys are 'surface' hones. No need for slurry (in fact, that would have a negative effect on the hone). This surface needs to be burnished to get the best edges off the hone. This specific Charnley already has had the burnishing done, and it is very fine. 

It works best with a light honing oil - giving a mirror-edge to the razor. However, it also works with water or soapy water. A thicker oil would make it even finer, but will be much slower. I also think this hone will get finer with use. Like all Charnleys, it is slow. 

The dimensions on this stone are about: 6 3/4" x 1 2/8". I cannot tell the depth of the hone, as it is glued into the base. A little over 1/4" sticks out of the base. It is boxed, as can be seen in the pics.  

[Image: IMG_20150416_184804.jpg]

SOLD!! 4) Vintage smoky streaked Thuringian - $110 shipped US

This is a vintage Thuringian hone. It is a typical example of a thuringian. It is very fine, very fast on slurry and it is very easy to hone on. 
What's not typical is the look of the hone. It has smoky streaks. The thuri is mostly grey-green in colour. The best part about it is that it is very reliable - it always produces a great edge with minimal work. I use a slurry built with another hone, but you can use a DMT plate. 
Dimensions on the hone are 7 " x 1.5" x 13/16".

[Image: IMG_20150417_134915.jpg]

SOLD!! 5) Les Latneuses combo hone with 'hybrid' side - $150 shipped US

This is an excellent example of a Les Latneuses hone. It has a thick, creamy coticule layer, and it has a thick hybrid layer too. It comes with a Les Latneuses slurry stone (pictured). 
This hone is very fast on slurry (on the yellow side), and slow on water. The edge gains keenness and smoothness when finished on the hybrid side. 
Dimensions are roughly 6.5" x 1.5" x 7/8". The coticule layer is uniformly 3/8" (thinner on one corner), and the hybrid layer is about 1/2". One edge is cut, as you can see.

[Image: IMG_20150417_145210.jpg]

ON HOLD!! 6) Vintage Coticule glued combo - $90 shipped US

This is a vintage 'barber's sized' coticule hone. It may have been an 'Old Rock' coticule or something of the sort, based on its shape and size. It is definitely a good example of a coticule hone. 

The coticule layer is medium-fast on slurry and slow on water, and it puts a keen edge on a blade. I have not used the BBW side, but it could also be used to hone on. 

The hone is 4 7/8" x 2 3/8" x 11/16". The coticule layer varies smoothly from 3/8" thick to 3/16" thick across the width of the hone. 

[Image: IMG_20150416_184914.jpg]
SOLD!! 8) Llyn Idwal hone - $65 shipped US

This is a fine example of a Llyn Idwal hone. These hones are Welsh hones that are as highly regarded as the Charnleys. Some of them are said to be finer than the Charnleys too, but I think they're surface hones, like Charnleys, so results vary based on how the surface is prepared. This specific one produces a pretty comfortable shaving edge, but the scratch pattern is a little coarser than my Charnleys. It's still  very nice hone, though. 
This one is smaller, but don't be fooled by the size. This thing is *fast* on water. It slows down and gets finer when used with oil. I think this is harder than my Charnleys and it was a bear to smooth out. 
The hone has a beautiful matching box, but it can be removed from the box for when you want to hone on water. 
The hone is 6 1/8" x 1 1/2" x 5/8". 

[Image: IMG_20150417_150555.jpg]

37 1,743
 04-16-2015, 11:26 AM
User Info
Hi Yohann,

I would like to purchase the C12+slurry stone you have listed.  I am new to the Shaving Nook and have not purchased anything here yet.  So, I would appreciate it if you could explain to me how this works.  I have purchased and sold items on ebay, and if you would like to check out my feedback, my user name is thomasb6392.

Hope to hear back from you soon,
Thanks,
Tom

0 7
 04-16-2015, 12:24 PM
User Info
(04-16-2015, 11:26 AM)tom6392 Wrote: Hi Yohann,

I would like to purchase the C12+slurry stone you have listed.  I am new to the Shaving Nook and have not purchased anything here yet.  So, I would appreciate it if you could explain to me how this works.  I have purchased and sold items on ebay, and if you would like to check out my feedback, my user name is thomasb6392.

Thanks,
Tom

Hi Tom,

Im rather new to the Nook myself (although my addiction has lead me to purchasing a bunch of stuff already). I started with the B/S/T rules to get a good overview of the do's and don'ts for buying and selling here on the forum. Here is the direct link - http://shavenook.com/announcement-buying...ding-rules

Welcome by the way..and good luck with your purchase!

21 171
 04-16-2015, 01:09 PM
User Info
(04-16-2015, 12:24 PM)GregMacMan Wrote:
(04-16-2015, 11:26 AM)tom6392 Wrote: Hi Yohann,

Thanks,
Tom

Hi Tom,

Im rather new to the Nook myself (although my addiction has lead me to purchasing a bunch of stuff already). I started with the B/S/T rules to get a good overview of the do's and don'ts for buying and selling here on the forum. Here is the direct link - http://shavenook.com/announcement-buying...ding-rules

Welcome by the way..and good luck with your purchase!

Thanks Greg.  After reading your link I realize I should have contacted the seller through PM. Sorry, and thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

0 7
 04-17-2015, 11:14 AM
User Info
I have updated the post with some more hones. Enjoy!!

37 1,743
 04-18-2015, 11:45 PM
User Info
 Nice Coticule..
Glwts

19 246
 04-30-2015, 03:16 PM
User Info
Barber's sized Coti is on hold. 

Still a few hones left. Smile

37 1,743