04-14-2015, 09:40 AM
User Info
Claus' post has really got me thinking. What is it that keeps my interest in wet-shaving? Is it the 30min of pampering, that starts the day off right? Or is it the constant search for new and different products? To answer that question, I have decided that for the next 30 shaves, I will use the exact same products. Only exception will be to change blades every 4 shaves. Now, what to use?
I decided on these products:
Soap: Because this experiment is going to enlighten me, there was no question that I must select MdC Brain bowl.

Brush: I am choosing a moderately priced, high-end brush, the Simpson CH2 Synthetic.
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: My #1 blade, Personna Med Prep.
Aftershave: I had to choose something my wife wouldn't abhor for 30 shaves, so I went with Floïd Blue.
Here is my shave den for the next 30 shaves:
[Image: NauQY7g.jpg]As an added bit of austerity, I pledge not to acquire any new products. I may sell, but not trade. I will not post daily SOTD's, that would be boring and my photos are amateurish at best. I will frequent the Nook, and my lesser-visited other shave site and at the end of the trial, I will report back.
See you in the funny papers... Biggrin

39 3,951
 04-14-2015, 09:54 AM
User Info
I look forward to hearing how this goes for you Primo. Godspeed!

31 8,058
 04-14-2015, 09:57 AM
User Info
It has been very easy for me and others to fall into mass acquisition modes. I see Claus's collection of 300 creams and soaps as impressive, massive and insane. I am in no way passing judgement, as I could easily acquire that amount of product also. All Claus had to do, was just try a little harder to space out his product purchases. I'm fairly certain the earth will be space dust, long before his collection is finished by generations of his family who have yet to be born. 

Austerity is very difficult when faced with so many choices.

Peace, Gentlemen!

0 122
 04-14-2015, 10:00 AM
User Info
(04-14-2015, 09:57 AM)Nusquam Humanitus Wrote: It has been very easy for me and others to fall into mass acquisition modes. I see Claus's collection of 300 creams and soaps as impressive, massive and insane. I am in no way passing judgement, as I could easily acquire that amount of product also. All Claus had to do, was just try a little harder to space out his product purchases. I'm fairly certain the earth will be space dust, long before his collection is finished by generations of his family who have yet to be born. 

Peace, Gentlemen!
This is a purely personal experiment and in no way intended to pass judgement on anyone else. I mentioned Claus, because he is a trusted and well-liked member of this forum and his post spoke to me. 

39 3,951
 04-14-2015, 10:18 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Good luck Primo!  My personal experiment started a while back with only 2 razors (Stealth Slant & Baby Smooth), Kai blades, and one soap at a time working it down until finished as mentioned in the other thread.  Not brushes though.  I am really enjoying it.  It feels quite liberating having a leaner uncluttered shave den.  I do believe my shaves have improved  as I have tightened up the range of products in favor of a consistent set of variables.    

42 1,041
 04-14-2015, 10:18 AM
User Info
I note how Primo has positioned his personal choice in line with the policy that The Nook's mods previously formed -- the key word is personal, as opposed to making it a group effort.

My own personal means of keeping my den size down varies somewhat. Mainly, I'm trying to use just two creams for most of the week. But I still enjoy seeing what others have to say about their acquisitions and explorations.

8 950
 04-14-2015, 10:34 AM
User Info
(04-14-2015, 10:00 AM)primotenore Wrote:
(04-14-2015, 09:57 AM)Nusquam Humanitus Wrote: It has been very easy for me and others to fall into mass acquisition modes. I see Claus's collection of 300 creams and soaps as impressive, massive and insane. I am in no way passing judgement, as I could easily acquire that amount of product also. All Claus had to do, was just try a little harder to space out his product purchases. I'm fairly certain the earth will be space dust, long before his collection is finished by generations of his family who have yet to be born. 

Peace, Gentlemen!
This is a purely personal experiment and in no way intended to pass judgement on anyone else. I mentioned Claus, because he is a trusted and well-liked member of this forum and his post spoke to me. 

Completely understood! I did not read anything in your post which passed judgement on anyone. My previous post was also not intended to pass any judgement. I completely understand the how easy it is to fall into acquiring products. I am working on a pseudo-austerity program myself right now. It ain't easy!

Peace, Gentlemen!

0 122
 04-14-2015, 10:59 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(04-14-2015, 09:40 AM)primotenore Wrote: Claus' post has really got me thinking. What is it that keeps my interest in wet-shaving? Is it the 30min of pampering, that starts the day off right? Or is it the constant search for new and different products? To answer that question, I have decided that for the next 30 shaves, I will use the exact same products. Only exception will be to change blades every 4 shaves. Now, what to use?
Soap: Because this experiment is going to enlighten me, there was no question that I must select MdC Brain bowl.

Brush: I am choosing a moderately priced, high-end brush, the Simpson CH2 Synthetic.
Aftershave: I had to choose something my wife wouldn't abhor for 30 shaves, so I went with Floïd Blue.
[Image: NauQY7g.jpg]As an added bit of austerity, I pledge not to acquire any new products. I may sell, but not trade. I will not post daily SOTD's, that would be boring and my photos are amateurish at best. I will frequent the Nook, and my lesser-visited other shave site and at the end of the trial, I will report back.

First let me say you could not of picked a better group to run with for 30-days.  I've done this several times but with MWF instead of MdC and the brush I used at the time was a Semogue 1305 Boar.

But after re-reading all of this I just have to laugh at even considering this a challenge.  You youngsters crack me up.  For the first 30 years of my shaving life it was one soap, one razor, one blade, and one after shave.  There was no internet, no fancy shaving supply stores.  Just the shaving section at a local Rexall Drug Store or the shaving department in the basement of the local Sears.

You should be able to do this 30-day shave without breaking a sweat.

But, you go ahead and post you daily SOTD pictures, even if it is the same darn picture everyday.  That way if you start having withdrawals we can give you support.  That is one of the things we all treasured about Nick (wknicholas).  You knew exactly what his shave was going to be everyday and we enjoyed seeing it.  Now that he is taking care of family and not posting, we miss him.

And remember this.  This is a Traditional Wet Shaving Forum, not a hobby forum, so post those darn shaves. Smile

179 23,933
 04-14-2015, 11:13 AM
User Info
Good luck with your experiment Primo! I also ran into somewhat of a wall and ended up putting together (what I hope is) a permanent strategy to overcome it. Been following it for about 5 months now faithfully and I find it works for me. What I am doing is locking up my lineup similar to what you are proposing to do. However, I am allowed to change one item in that line up each day (or each shave). Aftershave one day, razor the next, then soap, etc. Each shave I choose what to change, or make no change. It forces me to use products on consecutive days, which helps in getting to know those products and also with using them up. Sorry to inject my personal habits into your thread, just thought I'd share since the motivation is the same! Following a strategy like this means you just can't use that many products in general, so my hunger for acquisitions has diminished. I have never tried using the same products for 30 days straight though...I don't know if i could handle that!  

41 1,196
 04-14-2015, 11:19 AM
User Info
(04-14-2015, 10:59 AM)Johnny Wrote:
(04-14-2015, 09:40 AM)primotenore Wrote: Claus' post has really got me thinking. What is it that keeps my interest in wet-shaving? Is it the 30min of pampering, that starts the day off right? Or is it the constant search for new and different products? To answer that question, I have decided that for the next 30 shaves, I will use the exact same products. Only exception will be to change blades every 4 shaves. Now, what to use?

First let me say you could not of picked a better group to run with for 30-days.  I've done this several times but with MWF instead of MdC and the brush I used at the time was a Semogue 1305 Boar.

But after re-reading all of this I just have to laugh at even considering this a challenge.  You youngsters crack me up.  For the first 30 years of my shaving life it was one soap, one razor, one blade, and one after shave.  There was no internet, no fancy shaving supply stores.  Just the shaving section at a local Rexall Drug Store or the shaving department in the basement of the local Sears.

But, you go ahead and post you daily SOTD pictures, even if it is the same darn picture everyday.  That way if you start having withdrawals we can give you support.  That is one of the things we all treasured about Nick (wknicholas).  You knew exactly what his shave was going to be everyday and we enjoyed seeing it.  Now that he is taking care of family and not posting, we miss him.

And remember this.  This is a Traditional Wet Shaving Forum, not a hobby forum, so post those darn shaves. Smile

As a youngster, I hope I greatly contributed to your laughter. Now I know the times have changed and all the classical wet-shaving products we obsess over have increased tremendously since the days of yore ( I hope I did not offend you, Johnny and I know you're a good guy). For what it's worth, I would take the obsessing and multitude of choices over the good ole days any day. Hey, any of you guys up for a pedicure? I know a place where we can get a group discount.

Peace, Gentlemen!

P.S. - Claus,

I know you are a good guy and If you need to unload any of the 300, feel free to PM me at any time. I'm feeling that itch again!

0 122
 04-14-2015, 11:23 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
You did not offend me at all.  Heck man, I'm in shavers heaven and enjoy everyday of it. Smile

179 23,933
 04-14-2015, 11:33 AM
User Info
I pretty much use the same setup daily and rotate between brushes.  Actually, I use the same soap from start to finish and have been using this method for a couple years now.

I'll pair my AS with the soap and use it exclusively too.  Rotating brushes if for fun and razors get rotated depending on what type of shave I want...but I pretty much stick with 2-3 razors.  If there were no forums, no outlet to show off pics, no need to talk about collections, none of use would have 100 soaps, 75 brushes, 80 razors, 10000 blades or 300 AS bottles.

30 days with the same setup should be a breeze, good luck to you.

8 2,718
 04-14-2015, 12:45 PM
User Info

I haven't been called a youngster in a long time. Thanks Johnny! You made my day!

39 3,951
 04-14-2015, 12:48 PM
User Info
(04-14-2015, 11:19 AM)Nusquam Humanitus Wrote:

As a youngster, I hope I greatly contributed to your laughter. Now I know the times have changed and all the classical wet-shaving products we obsess over have increased tremendously since the days of yore ( I hope I did not offend you, Johnny and I know you're a good guy). For what it's worth, I would take the obsessing and multitude of choices over the good ole days any day. Hey, any of you guys up for a pedicure? I know a place where we can get a group discount.

Peace, Gentlemen!

P.S. - Claus,

I know you are a good guy and If you need to unload any of the 300, feel free to PM me at any time. I'm feeling that itch again!
Claus,
If you splurge for a mani/pedi I'm all in.  Blush

39 3,951
 04-14-2015, 12:51 PM
User Info
(04-14-2015, 11:33 AM)Bruce Wrote: I pretty much use the same setup daily and rotate between brushes.  Actually, I use the same soap from start to finish and have been using this method for a couple years now.

I'll pair my AS with the soap and use it exclusively too.  Rotating brushes if for fun and razors get rotated depending on what type of shave I want...but I pretty much stick with 2-3 razors.  If there were no forums, no outlet to show off pics, no need to talk about collections, none of use would have 100 soaps, 75 brushes, 80 razors, 10000 blades or 300 AS bottles.

30 days with the same setup should be a breeze, good luck to you.

It's good to hear that there are some sane people in the classic wet-shaving world.

0 122
 04-14-2015, 12:57 PM
User Info
I am afraid this will only lead to myself buying all the products pictured. Tongue Wink

Now, on a serious note: You guys, you Primo and Claus are outstanding at posting and sharing. I can relate, even though I am on my way.
So,   I do appreciate it- Thank you, Claus and Primo!

21 1,175
 04-14-2015, 02:27 PM
User Info
Good luck, Primo!

Boy, I must be a baby considering what Johnny has stated as I couldn't imagine using only one scent with my soaps for more than a few days! I really enjoy variety and this is one thing I don't miss about the good old days! Biggrin

83 21,113
 04-14-2015, 02:36 PM
User Info
Johnny's right, this'll be a breeze. I am considering a Titanic-ing of the Brain Bowl. I should take a poll.  Biggrin

39 3,951
 04-14-2015, 05:35 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
I think someone should do the math on that Primo before you commitSmile

61 4,628
 04-20-2015, 11:56 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
Good luck Primo. I have tried to stick with one set up before and only made it a week. But even as a youngster,  I can see that my modest collection is too much. I did use a New LC for a month straight and that really helped me dial in my technique with that particular razor.

77 1,393