04-14-2015, 10:52 AM
User Info
Does anyone have any experience with using a longer handle? Can they be purchased on line? Thanks in advance with any info........Ernie

20 441
 04-14-2015, 11:21 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
can easily buy a piece of threaded rod....cut it to 3/4 inch and retap the head to standard handle threading 5mmx8 twist...then you can use any handle you like

6 2,048
 04-17-2015, 08:30 AM
User Info
Ever-Ready 1912's and later model Gem 1912's have a standard 10-32 thread, which is the same as most DE razors. So, with the addition of a setscrew (available from Home Depot or just about any hardware store) modern DE handles can be used.

[Image: I8jd1TE.jpg]

[Image: 0pfaMIQ.jpg]

Gem Damaskeenes and the low profile Gem 1912's use a smaller thread. In order to use modern handles it is necessary to drill out and re-tap the handle mount. This is not difficult to do, but it means that it will no longer be possible to use the original handle. 

--Bob

0 185
 04-17-2015, 09:28 PM
User Info
I love SE razors, but the main thing I don't like about them is the short handles.  I prefer longer handles, so I recently had a friend make me some longer handles.  The one on the left on my KAMPFE STAR lathercatcher is made from a white-tail deer horn, the one in the middle is a coriander type material on my GEM DAMASKEENE 1912, and the one on the right on my GEM Junior Bar is made wood harvested from a west Texas Algerita (also called agarita) berry bush. Now I want to try to make one from a metal DE handle like the one in the post above  Smile

[Image: zPwFEaj.jpg]
[Image: NxLn43K.jpg]

13 197
 04-18-2015, 06:39 AM
User Info
Great information here! The set-screw method could really breath some new life into my SEs.

2 127
 04-18-2015, 07:29 AM
User Info
What about getting the set screw and then putting a die on it to make the smaller thread for the older razors? This way you wouldn't have to alter the original head?

Sent from my mobile device

4 181
 04-18-2015, 10:00 AM
User Info
(04-18-2015, 07:29 AM)vmarks Wrote: What about getting the set screw and then putting a die on it to make the smaller thread for the older razors? This way you wouldn't have to alter the original head?

This could be done, but would involve considerably more work than drilling/tapping the razor. It would probably be necessary to start with a longer setscrew (so you'd have something to clamp onto) and then cut it down after modifying the threads. 

Modifying the razor is much easier. DeWalt makes little kits that contain one tap and the proper size drill bit. These can be purchased at Home Depot. A tap wrench isn't even required - a crescent wrench will do the job. Assuming you have a power drill of some sort, the whole process takes a couple of minutes. 

I did have some misgivings about attacking a vintage razor in such a manner. Below is my modified Gem Damaskeene. Note that it has considerable plating loss, and its case was long gone. I would not dream of doing something like this to a collector grade razor.

[Image: dZrfpyk.jpg?1] 

I'm thinking about having the head re-plated.  Wink

--Bob

0 185
 04-20-2015, 11:48 AM
User Info
I looked into buying a die a few years ago. The thread is long obsolete and nothing is available. Maybe one could be found in an antique shop or some such.

OR, one could have the thread made in a machine shop on a lathe. If you need the dimensions let me know and I'll dig the data out.

32 6,472