06-11-2012, 02:47 AM
User Info
This weekend I cut myself shaving. Not a weeper nor a small nick. I am not sure how but either I turned my head or forgot to pull the razor away from my face when I repositioned it. I wound up with a one inch incision. Not deep but it bled.

It wouldn't stop even after a styptic pencil and multiple wads of toilet paper stuck to it.
So off to the supermarket went my wife. She piicked up this liquid bandage

http://www.newskinproducts.com/products/...ndage.aspx

You apply it with a small brush. It stopped the bleeding and sealed up the incision.
It is great stuff.

I may replace my styptic pencil with this stuff. The only down side is the smell. Smells just like rubber cement. Due to what ever solvent they used.

But I would recommend this. I (unfortunately) can see it being very useful in my household.

Phil

7 363
 06-11-2012, 03:04 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
ooooh, Scared Phil!

I pray it heals well

... we never know when strange accidents will happen, I often think it would be unfortunate to suddenly sneeze, hiccup, etc right in the middle of taking a stroke.

9 1,684
 06-11-2012, 03:10 AM
User Info
I've used New Skin on blisters before. It works great, but I agree the smell isn't great. On a fresh blister it can really sting. Did it sting when applied on your face?

31 7,914
 06-11-2012, 04:57 AM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
I have the liquid bandage, but never used it on my face. I keep powdered alum on hand for shaving nicks and cuts. A little on a damp finger stops most weepers. For bigger nicks I'll make a paste. When it dries or the bleeding stops, I just brush it off.

0 204
 06-11-2012, 06:33 AM
User Info
Liquid bandaid and large rolls of medical tape is always present in the WW household - unless I got a cut, bruise or scrape I havn't really been working on any projects in the house Tongue

Haven't had to use it after shaving though... yet.

3 3,580
 06-11-2012, 10:39 AM
User Info
Interesting.

50 years ago it smelled like bananas.

I have no idea how deep it was, but you can also use superglue (cyanoacrylate) to close a cut. Just don't glue your finger to the cut. If it ever needs stitches superglue works really good for that. Works for animals too if you can get them to sit still.

32 6,309
 06-11-2012, 12:12 PM
User Info
For what it's worth I had a tube of CA in my belt-kit when I was deployed to Africa - you'll want to seal up cuts damn fast when in a hot, humid and germ-infested environment. Oddly enough for being me, I didn't have to use it once... except for fixing my cellphone.

3 3,580
 06-11-2012, 07:40 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
You could try the Proraso nick sealer. I imagine it's about the same stuff as it really closed up a nick for me, but doesn't have a smell that I can discern

0 353
 06-11-2012, 07:44 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-11-2012, 10:39 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Interesting.

50 years ago it smelled like bananas.

I have no idea how deep it was, but you can also use superglue (cyanoacrylate) to close a cut. Just don't glue your finger to the cut. If it ever needs stitches superglue works really good for that. Works for animals too if you can get them to sit still.

It definitely smelled like bananas. I had almost forgotten about this product. I used to use it all the time.

I also was shaving a week or so ago and my hand faltered just enough to cause my razor to go straight sideways and I opened a similar incision. It was very small though and stopped bleeding pretty quickly. Now I'm double careful before I touch the razor to my skin!

0 396
 06-11-2012, 08:43 PM
User Info
Stung like the dickens too UD! I remember it quite well.

32 6,309
 06-11-2012, 08:44 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-11-2012, 08:43 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Stung like the dickens too UD! I remember it quite well.

It sure did but not so bad as iodine! Man I'm glad no one uses iodine anymore. Biggrin

0 396
 06-11-2012, 08:56 PM
User Info
Isn't super glue just as good. Wink

75 20,883
 06-11-2012, 08:58 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-11-2012, 08:56 PM)celestino Wrote: Isn't super glue just as good. Wink

I know there is a medical grade of super glue that is used sometimes in the stead of stitches. I don't know how safe it would be to use commercial super glue. I wonder if this stuff burns too.

0 396
 06-11-2012, 09:27 PM
User Info
If you need stitching any grade is better than no grade. Or you could use needle and thread. Or go to the emergency room or the animal hospital for (for instance) dogs that roll in dead things and eat poop.

I'd be willing to bet that the only difference between the medical grade and the commercial grade is the price and the packaging. It comes from a commercial process after all. Maybe the inside of the tube is sterilized.

Times may be coming where we need this info.

Anyone have more on medical CA?

32 6,309
 06-11-2012, 09:30 PM
User Info
Stings like... well there is another word or two but not appropriate here. LOL But it does work.

2 805
 06-12-2012, 07:55 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I used liquid bandage (I forget the brand) once, for a cut I got on my finger. I absolutely hated the stuff and haven't used it since. Besides the sting and smell, the stuff feels awful and stays on the skin long after the wound is closed. Unless it is an emergency, an antiseptic to clean the wound and a Band-Aid still work best for me.

2 11,211