04-16-2015, 12:56 PM
User Info
I just made the jump and purchased a Ralf Aust 5/8 razor from a member of the Shave Nook. He said it was shave ready and he purchased it from Straight Razor Designs and Lynn honed and stropped it. He wasn't kidding. I ordered a modular strop from Straight Razor Designs and it is amazing. Very ingenious. It can be used for travel, very easy to use because different leather or felt is held on by magnets. What impressed me is it is almost idiot proof. Doesn't move, the razor stays flat and it comes with diamond spray for fine touching up the razor. I have never stropped a razor but found no problem keeping the razor in the right position and getting a really sharp edge. Lynn at straight razor really was fantastic helping me through this and his videos alleviate a lot of mistakes. I've been using a Feather DX straight handle and found the new razor very comfortable to use. Really fit my hand well. Lynn also told me how to treat the razor prior to my first shave and reiterated the correct angle. He is my go to guy for razor supplies. Really great to deal with.

6 161
 04-16-2015, 02:40 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
Congrats. I've owned the modular for a year and think its excellent.  I have thought similarly that its the perfect first strop versus hanging strops because of ease of use, completeness, use value. The only mod I made was to drill a hole in the handle and I use it with a leather string to hang it with the other strops.  Too you'll have one hard wool felt pad extra , you might buy some Chromium oxide and paste that board with it. You might like to compare diamond versus Chro ox and see if prefer one or the other.

15 541
 04-16-2015, 04:35 PM
User Info
(04-16-2015, 02:40 PM)Hanzo Wrote: Congrats. I've owned the modular for a year and think its excellent.  I have thought similarly that its the perfect first strop versus hanging strops because of ease of use, completeness, use value. The only mod I made was to drill a hole in the handle and I use it with a leather string to hang it with the other strops.  Too you'll have one hard wool felt pad extra , you might buy some Chromium oxide and paste that board with it. You might like to compare diamond versus Chro ox and see if prefer one or the other.
Thanks, its really helpful.

6 161
 04-17-2015, 11:06 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(04-16-2015, 02:40 PM)Hanzo Wrote: Congrats. I've owned the modular for a year and think its excellent.  I have thought similarly that its the perfect first strop versus hanging strops because of ease of use, completeness, use value. The only mod I made was to drill a hole in the handle and I use it with a leather string to hang it with the other strops.  Too you'll have one hard wool felt pad extra , you might buy some Chromium oxide and paste that board with it. You might like to compare diamond versus Chro ox and see if prefer one or the other.

Do these both serve the same purpose?  Is one preferred over the other?

175 23,752
 04-17-2015, 01:55 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(04-17-2015, 11:06 AM)Johnny Wrote:

Do these both serve the same purpose?  Is one preferred over the other?

Yes they both serve the same purpose. They provide that extra bit of sharpness and smoothness to a razor after it has been honed on whetstones, the pastes are higher grit. Chromium oxide and diamond both seem to work the same but I and others feel CO imparts a gentler smoother feeling edge than Diamond. Diamond edge can feel harsher on the face.

15 541
 04-17-2015, 02:33 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Thank you Hanzo for the explanation.  

175 23,752
 04-19-2015, 03:19 PM
User Info
(04-17-2015, 01:55 PM)Hanzo Wrote: Yes they both serve the same purpose. They provide that extra bit of sharpness and smoothness to a razor after it has been honed on whetstones, the pastes are higher grit. Chromium oxide and diamond both seem to work the same but I and others feel CO imparts a gentler smoother feeling edge than Diamond. Diamond edge can feel harsher on the face.

I concur with this analysis. The diamond spray is great, and makes for a very keen edge, but the chromium oxide makes for a more comfortable shaving edge. 

Whichever you get, remember that you only need to use only a very few strokes - 3-5, and with a very light touch. 

37 1,743