04-16-2015, 05:35 PM
User Info
Hello gentlemens!

Im fairly new to wet shaving. And I was wondering how you guys, ecolved with your razor. I would like to know, what razor did you used. Pretty sure the best way would be to start with a mild razor and move on to more agressive ones. What would be your choice of razors the progression?

For me, I started with a Edwin Jagger DE89, and recently tried the Maggard MR5 both pretty mild. I Also have a travel parker kit more agressive than the first two.

I would like to up grade, but Not sure where to ho from there. I would really appreciate, if you guys share your knowledge.

3 71
 04-16-2015, 05:44 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
My first modern razor was a Parker. The real upgrades began when I started to buy some older Gillettes. My suggestion would be to try the Gillette Super Speed, Flare Tip , Red Tip, then an adjustable . These Gillettes are old but so very good. You can check out the BST here for one

19 729
 04-16-2015, 05:51 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
The suggestion to try vintage is good but also try several different modern razors. I personally do not care for the Gillettte TTO razors or the Gillette adjustables but YMMV. For me personally, Merkur razors such as the 34C or Progress blow Gillette razors away in terms of shave quality but that is not to say that you will like them. You have to try for yourself.

46 18,091
 04-16-2015, 06:05 PM
User Info
For vintage, I'd start out with a Slim. They shave great, don't break the bank and can last a lifetime. If you want more aggressive them the 89, a Red Tip may work for you.

I'm not a fan of Merkur. I've had a few and the fit and finish are subpar and not even close to EJ.

You could always shim the EJ. I've never done it but people have had success with it.

8 2,718
 04-16-2015, 07:14 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
I think you could buy  just the head of  the Muhle R41 open comb , just the head is available for purchase . It will fit on your EJ 89 handle. The EJ 89 is very mild, the R41 manageable aggressive. You will have bookended the large spectrum of DE razors. A Merkur slant would be next, slightly more aggressive than most DE's and a different shave.

15 541
 04-16-2015, 07:31 PM
User Info
I started with a Merkur classic. The pot metal soon broke and I used a Super Speed (black handle) exclusively for two years. I started out trying various DEs --Fatip, Slim, Tech, EJ--among others before going back to the SS. Then I moved into single edge razors, sold all my DEs, and haven't looked back since. 

18 713
 04-16-2015, 07:54 PM
User Info
Started out with a micro touch about a year ago went to a merkur 1904 the found a shick krona ,picked up a Gillette fat boy a 58 ss on the way it's been fun .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 727
 04-17-2015, 05:04 AM
User Info
Started with a Merkur Futur, then in Ikon OC Deluxe and then got a RazoRock Stealth Slant.

However I have had access to my dads collection of Vintage DE razors so have used a lot of them.

I did prefer the more modern razors however I found there wasn't much of a difference other than some of the newer razors felt smoother.

4 642
 04-17-2015, 07:44 AM
User Info
I have to disagree with the premise that one has to or even should progress to a more aggressive razor. Maybe I read that wrong. It's certainly possible to do that, but I know lots of folks who are perfectly happy to stay with low to mid aggressive razors and those folks require no more to get the shave that they desire.

But I wasn't happy with the shaves from mild razors and decided to go to more aggressive razors; to progress. I did so only to get the shave I wanted.

I actually started with a single edge (SE) safety razor; the Featherweight (FW). Here is where memory gets murky. I went through my things and turned up a bunch of safety razors. I found my original black handled Gillette Super Speed from the late '60s and a Valet. I have no idea which I used next, but I suspect it was the Gillette. After learning the basics, I'm a fast study, I went back and forth between them and far preferred the SE FW. But lots of folks on the forums used vintage Gillettes, I just wasn't particularly happy with the SS. I studied the threads I could find and decided to buy a Gillette Slim because it was adjustable and if I wanted it to grow with me it could do that. I had no idea where I would wind up and it just seemed like a good idea to have the option to dial it in. To make a long story shorter, I eventually decided to set it to the maximum setting, after using it for awhile on setting 5, and liked the resulting shave. I remember it taking months to work up to that. Shortly after that I began looking for more aggressive SE razors. I still remembered how nicely the SE FW shaved and I knew better than to close that door without exploring inside it a bit. My next SE was the Valet since all it required was finding blades for it.

You didn't ask, but after the Valet I tried more DE blade types than I could shake a stick at since blades make a huge difference in the shave. Until one tries different blades trying different razors is a lesson in futility IMO. One needs to find what one likes. In that testing I decided that I like sharp and smooth blades no matter what razor I use.

Today 90% of my shaves are with SE razors of a more aggressive nature. I still use DE razors, but the mildest I'll use is a Gillette Single Ring with 1 or 2 shims to make it more aggressive. The most aggressive DE razor I have is a Muhle '11 R41. All of my other DE razors are in storage; for what, I don't know. Maybe they await the time when my hands shake so badly from old age that I don't dare use my other razors. But for now I have them and they eat nothing.

32 6,445
 04-17-2015, 01:58 PM
  • Mel
  • Ex-Lurker
User Info
Hello from a newbee??? I prefer and only use, since it was given to me in 1962, the aggressive Rolls Razor No2 Imperial. Single blade shave with lather then dry and splash Listerine on and dry finish "carefully" then the after shave lotion. NEVER looked back after all these years. Oh yes, you will get few nicks if not ready for the dry finish. Remember the lather oil still is on the skin but very thin. Enjoy the shave, like the man said, too bad we only have one face to work on, HA.

Mel

0 2
 04-17-2015, 02:21 PM
User Info
Another thought might be to try a "sharper" blade like the Polsilver SI or Feather.  I've found that the blade really makes (or breaks) the razor, whether SE or DE.  Then if you still want a more aggressive razor without breaking the bank, consider one of the Parkers.  They've come up a lot in quality over the past few years and, for my money they're one of the more underrated DE's out there.  The Merkur 37c and 39c Slants are also good, reasonably-priced candidates.

2 586
 04-17-2015, 03:30 PM
User Info
I started out with the EJ89 and quickly found THE ONE, Weber DLC, but it didn't stop me from trying over 100 DEs, Straights and SEs.  Biggrin
I would suggest to use the one you have until you perfect your technique then you can start experimenting with others. 

82 21,056
 04-17-2015, 04:24 PM
User Info
started with a future and a feather blade.  a bloodbath while I learned.  just got my pils today.  almost the other end of the spectrum.  I love my weber as much as any razor I own.  well maybe the new wolfman slant will change my mind (what's left of it)

73 1,263
 04-18-2015, 09:06 AM
User Info
Thanks guys!

I really appreciate all your comments. I did try multiple blades so far, Feather, Astra, Derby, to name a few. I like the combination of my EJ 89 head and feather. But still not the shave i'm looking for. I feel I need multiple pass to get a BBS shave, and cause some irritations. This is why I started this discussion. My parker gives me a closer shave with a less aggressive blades (didn't try a feather in it so far). With almost no irritations. I feel like a more aggressive head, will help in this department, I might be wrong. 

I was looking at slant as a next razor. Maybe an Ikon slant. Keep your great comments coming gentlemens. I really appreciate sharing your experience with me.

3 71
 04-18-2015, 10:47 AM
  • jarobe
  • Auckland, New Zealand
User Info
My first razor was a Muhlë R89. I had the same thought as you about where to progress next. Buying and trying various modern tasks would be expensive so I went vintage. I collected as many cheap vintage razors as I could, and through this process I discovered some amazing razors.

I don't believe one "progresses" from mild to aggressive. I, for example, keep both a mild 40's tech and reasonable aggressive 20's open comb in my rotation. The latter is great when my fair is longer while the former is great when it's short.

I think the real progression is from a DE razor to a SE, or any other vintage method of shaving. I really rate my SE G-bar as one of my best razors.

Hope this helps

0 40
 04-18-2015, 02:26 PM
User Info
(04-16-2015, 07:14 PM)Hanzo Wrote: I think you could buy  just the head of  the Muhle R41 open comb , just the head is available for purchase . It will fit on your EJ 89 handle. The EJ 89 is very mild, the R41 manageable aggressive. You will have bookended the large spectrum of DE razors. A Merkur slant would be next, slightly more aggressive than most DE's and a different shave.

+1

4 355
 04-18-2015, 05:17 PM
User Info
Started with some Gillettes I got on eBay. Then moved on to Aristocrat, added a Mercur 39C, and currently a Mercur Futur.
Right now the Futur is doing it all for me. I'll be adding a Mongoose when my number in the wait list comes up, but I am pretty much set on a DE. 

11 435
 04-19-2015, 11:48 PM
User Info
My first DE razor was a Wilkinson Sword from 1991, I bought a few more between 2003-2005. I haven't bought another purposely since my Mint Schick Krona in 2008.

0 278
 04-20-2015, 02:26 AM
  • HarryO
  • FLA, USA.
User Info
How is the shave your getting now? Are you satisfied with it.? How does your face react to that shave? If your answer is VG then why change.? The advise that I got from some of the more experienced wet shavers were to: Cut down on the number of variables, such as different razors, different blades, and perfect your shaving technique.  For me I have kept with the Feather DS 2 and Feather Blades. As long as I don’t go ATG my face reacts well to the shave doing the 3 passes. My objective is to eliminate as much of my whiskers as possible and forget about trying for that  very close BBS. Good luck.

21 448
 04-20-2015, 03:09 AM
User Info
For double-edge razors, I personally love the shave I get form my older Gillettes - a Bulldog, and a New Standard.  These will be a noticeable, but manageable step-up from what you've tried before.

The TTOs are nice as well, and a great way to improve your technique as you crank-up the aggression.

However, nothing gives me an easy, comfortable BBS shave like my Mongoose, these thicker single-edge blades have an inherent advantage imo.

You can start with a Feather Pro-Guard (fairly mild, but a great shave), and progress to more aggressive blades until you find the shave you are looking for.  For me, its a close call between the regular Kai blades and the Kai sharps, it just depends on my mood and how I want to shave.

52 1,177