04-17-2015, 08:29 AM
User Info
So after seeing a bunch of posts on here and other various wet shaving forums/sites, I made the decision to treat myself to Mickey Lee Soapworks Drunken Goat Shave Soap and a bottle of The Kraken after shave "milk."  Along with my purchase, I received a generous sample of The Kraken shave soap in the box.  

A little background:
I've been wet shaving for about three years now. I usually use my modest Parker DE razor along with my favorite blade, Astra Superior Platinums,  good old Pinauld after shave and sometimes either Nivea sensitive skin balm or Clinque's Post-Shave Soother.  For shaving soaps, my go to is the old Willams Shave Soap, and occasionally use a rosewood shaving soap puck I picked up at a soap shop in old town San Diego a few weeks ago.   Enough about that.  On to the story...

Drunken Goat Shave Soap - First impressions; smells like macaroon cookies in the container.  Grabbing my handy dandy Omega Supra and whipping up a nice lather, it was a beautiful sight to behold, creamy, thick and rich, the macaroon smell turns into a almost coffee and light tobacco fragrance.  The best lather I've ever whipped up. Didn't take much effort to do.  Upon application... WOW!  The fragrance gets a bit brighter, I guess because its now right under my nose, but WOW!  As for the most important part, the shave, well it was the best shave I ever had.  Smooth, effortless.  Great glide and no irritation at all. my brush was so soaked with the soap, I didn't have to whip up too much more for my second and third pass.   Score 9.7/10.  

The Kraken After Shave Milk:  Loved the scent right out of the bottle.  Even more when I applied it.  After about 10 seconds after application, I think I discovered the reason why its called The Kraken.  Not as much strength as my Pinauld, but that's a good thing.  Scent lasts a bit and my face is feeling fine.  My wife really likes it too, so I give this a 10/10.

The Kraken Shave Soap (Sample) - Ok, this is the one everyone talks about. I put my sample into my shaving bowl and just like the Goat, it whipped up a real good lather.  I guess because it was so small, I didn't notice the initial scent, but it really didn't seem to compare to The Kraken Milk, but once I applied it, the scent was apparent.  Real fresh and clean smelling. I like the scent, but I like it more as the after shave milk.  Again, the shave was superb, almost rivaling, if not surpassing the Drunken Goat.  This gets a 8/10.  

Overall, my experience with these products was great, especially for a sensitive skinned ginger like myself.   Luckily and unbeknownst to me, I don't live to far from their base of operations, and got my package in less than 24 hours so I can't really expand on the shipping experience.

Thanks for reading.  PSB

TD/LR : This stuff is great.  

0 6
 04-17-2015, 08:40 AM
User Info
Mickey Lee is on my list to try. May pick some up in the next week or 2. Thanks for the review! 

148 3,603
 04-17-2015, 08:56 AM
User Info
Those are very good an you are spot on in the description but my favorite Mickey Lee Soaps and milks are Coco Maya and Italian stallion, I ordered backups on those if that tells you anything Smile.

8 264
 04-17-2015, 09:16 AM
User Info
(04-17-2015, 08:56 AM)George N Wrote: Those are very good an you are spot on in the description but my favorite Mickey Lee Soaps and milks are Coco Maya and Italian stallion, I ordered backups on those if that tells you anything Smile.

I might try those at a later date.  My wife says that I have too much stuff now. 

0 6
 04-17-2015, 09:24 AM
User Info
(04-17-2015, 09:16 AM)punksoulbro Wrote:
(04-17-2015, 08:56 AM)George N Wrote: Those are very good an you are spot on in the description but my favorite Mickey Lee Soaps and milks are Coco Maya and Italian stallion, I ordered backups on those if that tells you anything Smile.

I might try those at a later date.  My wife says that I have too much stuff now. 

Lol, I seriously have wayyy to much software and I really need to clear some of it out, my problem is, I really like it ALL =-)

8 264
 04-17-2015, 09:34 AM
User Info
It's a common problem around here. Smile 

I actually put my Kraken in the for sale forum just because I like the scent, but I don't love it. It's gotten to that point where I have so many that even soaps that perform great (which Mickey Lee does) aren't safe. And yet, I read this and think, "I'd like to try that Drunken Goat sometime..." It's a sickness.

9 112
 04-17-2015, 11:02 AM
User Info
Mickey Lee soaps are the real deal performance-wise. Kraken is my favorite out of what they currently have.

16 1,027
 04-17-2015, 11:06 AM
User Info
I have Kraken, I am not sure I get classic barbershop scent or ocean, it smells to me like laundry detergent, Tide maybe. The shock of what I was expecting vs what it smelled like put me off of this soap for a while. I sniffed it every now and then and after I let go of what I thought is should smell like I began to appreciate it. It was in the sell pile for a while but it is a great performaning soap. I just needed to stop wanting it to smell like something else.

4 105
 04-17-2015, 11:35 AM
User Info
I have both the Kraken Soap and the Drunken Goat soap. It was part of a large soap order I made a few weeks ago. The scents are great and the performance is phenomenal. It's sometimes so hard when you have all of these great artisan soaps. To me I think there is something about using goats milk in a soap that improves its performance (see CRSW and haslinger scafmilch).

3 58
 04-17-2015, 12:09 PM
User Info
Nice review, great performing soaps.

I haven't found a scent of theirs yet that really excites me. I am excited about the rumoured summer grapefruit/menthol soap.

If you haven't already tried their pre shave butter it is the bees knees and the scent on the lime one is extraordinary. I am hoping they bring out one or two more scents of this.

4 642
 04-17-2015, 01:12 PM
User Info
All of their stuff I've tried has been awesome, including sampling the upcoming SE soaps.

0 1
 04-17-2015, 02:17 PM
User Info
It's just too bad that they discontinued 'Pantie Dropper.' Nice mild scent without all the unique ingredients that Mickey Lee Soaps puts in like Guiness Beer (Drunken Goat) or Marine powder (Kraken).

79 373
 04-17-2015, 03:39 PM
User Info
(04-17-2015, 02:17 PM)Silence! Wrote: It's just too bad that they discontinued 'Pantie Dropper.' Nice mild scent without all the unique ingredients that Mickey Lee Soaps puts in like Guiness Beer (Drunken Goat) or Marine powder (Kraken).
According to their Facebook post from a few days ago, I believe Pantie Dropper is making a comeback.

0 6
 04-20-2015, 07:01 AM
User Info
Of all the MLS scents, The Kraken seems to be the most appealing to me so I may have to pick some up next time i put in an order, Cheers for the review!

8 206
 04-20-2015, 10:06 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Drunken Goat FTW!

9 1,684
 04-21-2015, 01:41 AM
User Info
I really like citrus scents so long as they are not candy sweet.  Can anyone comment on the Italian Stallion?  It is sweet or does it have the natural sweet/sour tones of real citrus?

Thanks

4 79