04-18-2015, 08:11 AM
User Info
As a little surprise yesterday, my wife picked up a tub of shave soap for my by a small artisan company called 'The Soap Engineers'.

It'll be a couple days before I get a chance to try it, and I'll post back my impressions once I have.

In the meantime though, I was curious as to whether or not anyone else here has given their stuff a try yet...

3 147
 04-18-2015, 11:02 AM
User Info
I had never heard of it until you mentioned it. 

82 21,056
 04-18-2015, 12:27 PM
User Info
A bit of digging around online reveals their blog with some nice pictures of soapmaking, some newspaper clippings, and an few reviews of their bath soaps - most good. Let us know what you think about the shaving soap  Smile

3 4,374
 04-18-2015, 01:39 PM
User Info
Olive oil as primary ingredient, kaolin and bentonite clay, doesn't sound good. Report back OP, but my bet is this is another "bath soap + clay = shave soap" Etsy amateur.

15 1,018
 04-20-2015, 04:39 AM
User Info
Sadly, the preliminary indications are that crazindndude may be right...

Two long, frustrating attempts to generate a lather yesterday did not go well.  Difficult to load and the resulting lather was far too thin and airy. Ended up stopping the 'experiment' and reaching for trusty ol' MdC instead.

I'm going to give it another try tomorrow, this time giving the soap a good soak before hand. Expecting it to be more of a croap, I didn't pre-soak it yesterday. I suspect it isn't going to make much of a difference, but I want to be sure I give it as thorough an opportunity to 'shine' as I can before writing it off as a dud...

3 147
 04-20-2015, 09:20 AM
User Info
Their Etsy store says they have used it for shaving their legs... except we - or at least I - know that lather for legs and lather for faces are two different things. For instance, my Better Half swears at Mike's bathsoaps for doing her leg, and get sad legs when she tries Mike's shavsoaps.

3 4,374
 05-03-2015, 12:27 PM
User Info
Well, after several attempts (less wet brush, more water in brush, wet puck, dry puck, etc) I'm sorry to say I have to give this one a thumbs down.

Definitely not a quality men's shave soap.  No matter what I try I always end up with a thin, airy lather rather than nice, thick, creamy one.  Best description I can give is that is like cappuccino foam rather than a thick, yogurty, whipped cream.

Pity, very nice scent.  Guess I'll just cut open the plastic tub it's in and use it as a bar soap.

3 147
 05-03-2015, 02:07 PM
User Info
This is why I avoid amateur soaps, professionally made soaps can be hit or miss too...

0 278