04-19-2015, 04:45 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Good morning, Ladies and Gents. I haven't posted much for the last two weeks or so, as job one and now job two have gotten a bit time consuming. I haven't played my guitars very much either...

My bride and I did have a chance the week before last to spend a few days in New Orleans, and being that I don't do facebook, I thought I'd share a few photos with you nice folks Shy . The brief trip was wonderful! It was very warm and humid, and greatly appreciated after the never-ending winter that seems to have finally eased it's grip (I may even have a lawn soon!).

We were in town during the French Quarter Festival. Good music and drink, and LOTS of people.

Among other attractions, we traveled the Mississippi river in a genuine river boat; walked on Bourbon Street and Frenchman Street; saw a number of cemeteries (apparently NOLA is known for its cemeteries); the New Orleans homes of many movie stars; the home still owned and lived in by Archie Manning (also happens to be where Peyton and Eli were raised).

One morning I stopped in to visit the New Orleans AoS store. Meh... I walked out empty handed.

Fwiw, my shave kit included my Merkur/iKon frankenrazor, Omega barber pole synth and P-Red in a tube. I face lathered reasonably well with this setup. It wasn't ideal, but it got the job done. We checked our luggage so traveling with DE blades wasn't an issue. Btw, Delta charges $25 each to check a bag (boo, hiss!!).

Two of the absolute most delicious meals I've ever eaten were enjoyed in lovely NOLA, and I look forward to returning for more in the future. There's so much to see and do we could barely get to half of the things we wanted to. Btw, we traveled with the Missus' Dad who was able to cross "eat, drink and listen to live jazz music after dark in a small NOLA nightclub" off his bucket list. He had a great time, too, and I'm thrilled and honored to have been able to share the experience with him Thumbup !

The two Outrageous meals ran the price spectrum from very reasonable to expensive. I look forward to eating in both Excellent establishments again. The inexpensive meal (~$40 for dinner for three, including tax and tip) was at a place called Willie Mae's. They made the BEST fried chicken that's EVER passed my lips. Good Lord it was delicious! It's ruined all other fried chicken for me... At the other end of the spectrum, was a restaurant in a converted house called Brigtsen's ($240 w/ tax and tip). I ate blackened yellow fin tuna that was a good two inches thick and cooked to my ideal of perfection. Both restaurants have won multiple awards among food cognoscenti. They both get the chazt seal of excellence! There were other very good eateries as well, but these two stand out heads and tails above all the others.

I won't bore you with too many photos, only those of interest to members of this forum.

One of the more interesting places we visited was the National WWII Museum. "In NOLA," you ask? Yes, here's why; the gentleman who designed and built the "LCVP" troop and vehicle transport vessels for the military, Andrew Higgins, did so in New Orleans. Dwight Eisenhower said that Higgins was "the man who won the war." Anyway, here are some pics that may be of interest to my fellow wet shaving enthusiasts.

[Image: tAniC1W.jpg]

[Image: qCr9BdC.jpg]

[Image: 9f8QLaq.jpg]

[Image: IXLY0Bg.jpg]

[Image: Wqki3on.jpg]

[Image: pUUGXdr.jpg]

Have a great rest of your weekend!

7 2,120
 04-19-2015, 07:36 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I've always wanted to go to New Orleans for the jazz. Now I think I'll go just for the fried chicken! Thanks for sharing your trip. 

38 5,104
 04-19-2015, 03:15 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
There is nowhere else on earth like New Orleans.  It is just one of those places you have to visit to appreciate.

178 23,806
 04-19-2015, 03:42 PM
User Info
Thanks for sharing, Charlie

95 2,590
 04-19-2015, 04:17 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(04-19-2015, 03:15 PM)Johnny Wrote: There is nowhere else on earth like New Orleans.  It is just one of those places you have to visit to appreciate.

I'd heard as much but never fully understood. Now I know! Plus it kind of makes me want to visit other cities too. My US cities bucket list includes (but certainly not limited to) Nashville, Memphis, Chicago, Kansas City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Lubbock, Austin. All great music cities, too! Must start researching restaurants.

Then i get to thinking about all the great nations of the world there are to be sight-saw.

7 2,120
 04-19-2015, 07:51 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
Chazt

I grew up in New Orleans and my uncle in law, Eddie, known to us as " Eddie Bo" is Willie Mae's son. I can remember visiting the bar/ restaurant and the back rooms of Willie Mae's 40 years ago when I was a kid. It was a neighborhood place for decades and became the hang out of local politicians and movers and shakers and grew to Willie receiving national awards for her cookery.  I don't think any body imagined it becoming so famous.Those sorts of places grew out of Black New Orleans, what I mean is, schools , churches, eateries and bars in that area of the city were owned and operated and for the Black community. My mother used to live in that area as a girl and I would laugh when she said she didn't care about segregation because " we had everything  we could ever want in our neighborhood". lol

15 541
 04-19-2015, 08:26 PM
User Info
Thank you for sharing the photos, Charlie and it sounds like you had a very nice time. 

82 21,077
 04-21-2015, 03:28 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Hanzo, you must be spoiled for all other fried chicken, i certainly am for the rest of my life! Your mother's remark as a child seems pure in its innocence relative to the most basic of needs - namely, home, family, love, friendship and food. It's beautiful how children see the world with a more pure spirit than do adults, unencumbered by all the learned behaviors and ideas we acquire later in life.

7 2,120
 04-21-2015, 03:29 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(04-19-2015, 08:26 PM)celestino Wrote: Thank you for sharing the photos, Charlie and it sounds like you had a very nice time. 

My pleasure. Yes, it was great! I want to go back.

7 2,120