06-11-2012, 12:17 PM
User Info
I wanted to try an injector to see if I would like them more than my slant, but then I seen the price of blades. $5.50 for 7 blades is bit much, unless I can get a lot of shaves from a single blade. I shave my head as well as my face, so a single use for me takes the miles off of a blade pretty fast.

To offer some perspective on blades I typically use:
Feather $5.00 for 10 blades = 2 shaves
Astra $3.00 for 10 blades = 3 shaves
Personna $2.80 for 10 blades 3 shaves
All cost less when buying in bulk.
I'm counting 1 shave as my head and face, so I can double the uses for face shaving only.

Being that my usual blades come from the same place that I buy everything else, buying injectors is kind of a special order item that you can't buy in bullk. I'm pretty sure that I'll love an injector because I love SE's. The price of blades is the thing keeping me from bothering with them, but if I can get 4 shaves (including my head) or 7 to 8 face shaves per blade I would have no problem.

That's just a long way of asking a simple question. How many uses per blade do you average from an injector?
Thanks

9 451
 06-11-2012, 01:03 PM
User Info
I get the Chinese Schick injector blades locally at Bi-Mart here in Oregon - $6.99 for 7 blades, and there's no shipping.

Seems a bit steep, but I regularly get 7-10+ shaves from each blade, and they're still pretty good when I toss 'em! Biggrin

0 1,377
 06-11-2012, 01:06 PM
User Info
(06-11-2012, 12:17 PM)Johnny9 Wrote: I wanted to try an injector to see if I would like them more than my slant, but then I seen the price of blades. $5.50 for 7 blades is bit much, unless I can get a lot of shaves from a single blade. I shave my head as well as my face, so a single use for me takes the miles off of a blade pretty fast.

To offer some perspective on blades I typically use:
Feather $5.00 for 10 blades = 2 shaves
Astra $3.00 for 10 blades = 3 shaves
Personna $2.80 for 10 blades 3 shaves
All cost less when buying in bulk.
I'm counting 1 shave as my head and face, so I can double the uses for face shaving only.

Being that my usual blades come from the same place that I buy everything else, buying injectors is kind of a special order item that you can't buy in bullk. I'm pretty sure that I'll love an injector because I love SE's. The price of blades is the thing keeping me from bothering with them, but if I can get 4 shaves (including my head) or 7 to 8 face shaves per blade I would have no problem.

That's just a long way of asking a simple question. How many uses per blade do you average from an injector?
Thanks

I've been able to get at least 4-5+ shaves out of injector blades, but I usually lose count since I don't shave all that regularly.

40 5,830
 06-11-2012, 01:08 PM
User Info
(06-11-2012, 01:03 PM)wknicholas Wrote: I get the Chinese Schick injector blades locally at Bi-Mart here in Oregon - $6.99 for 7 blades, and there's no shipping.

Seems a bit steep, but I regularly get 7-10+ shaves from each blade, and they're still pretty good when I toss 'em! Biggrin

that's pretty darn good if you shave regularly! I'd get a little less than that, but I'd also go 2-3 weeks without shaving. the injector blade has never had a problem mowing down my forest in the past, even from a blade that's had some use on it!

40 5,830
 06-11-2012, 01:34 PM
User Info
I'm about the same as Nick. About a buck per blade found at a local mom & pop pharmacy. I can also get about 7-10 (maybe more, I've not tested it) shaves from a single blade. These are for the Chinese Schicks.

I've also used the Ted Pella injectors (about $5 for 20 IIRC) but they were no where near as sharp and smooth as the Chinese Schicks. I'll pay a premium for the Schicks as there was that much of an improvement in the performance and quality of the shave.

31 7,912
 06-11-2012, 01:35 PM
User Info
That's a ton of shaves Nick. Those are the same blades I was going to order from drugstore.com--I can't find them locally so... I'll order a pack and give them a go, if they work out I'm going to need to find a bulk seller because the price per pack is rather steep.

9 451
 06-11-2012, 01:46 PM
User Info
I get about 6-8 shaves per blade with most injector types. I just bought just over 100 (supposedly) Schick Plus Platinum blades on eBay for $30.99. And I haven't used these injector Schicks before, but I suspect, based on my experience with the equivalent double edge blades, that I'll probably get more like 8-10 shaves per blade. That would mean a cost to me of less than 4 cents per shave.

183 12,002
 06-11-2012, 01:50 PM
User Info
I was looking for a bulk seller, but found some great Enrgrish instead.

Quote:If you are looking for "Schick Injector Blades 7-Count Boxes ", you come to the right place that this is cheap prices for you. Who is going to think at all that this product is popular, but it is a good product in the category of Health and Beauty.

You do not worry at all. If you want a low price Schick Injector Blades 7-Count Boxes for sale in the U.S. We have a product on the market are very cheap now, you're wait what else. If you want to have to search for this product. Let's start searching for something different than what we search. We have a range of options to choose from the product, how do you find something you want to or not. No, never met with a bruised, But wait, if you come here.

It to Do not let your best bet to Heudam strictly prohibited. Goods or services that you find it, which is much we check that your Schick Injector Blades 7-Count Boxes may be free with the Lord to send it this product in the Health and Beauty category.

Wow, I can't stop raughing!

(06-11-2012, 01:46 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: I get about 6-8 shaves per blade with most injector types. I just bought just over 100 (supposedly) Schick Plus Platinum blades on eBay for $30.99. And I haven't used these injector Schicks before, but I suspect, based on my experience with the equivalent double edge blades, that I'll probably get more like 8-10 shaves per blade. That would mean a cost to me of less than 4 cents per shave.

Any shave count of 7 makes the price worth it--10 shaves makes it awesome. I was just a bit worried about getting my typical numbers. I'm sure Johnny will chime in with his report as well.

Thanks fellas, I'll order them without worry.

9 451
 06-11-2012, 06:07 PM
User Info
I usually toss my injector blades after seven shaves, but they're still good at that point.

Given the amount of money I've thrown at this hobby, trying to squeeze a few more shaves out of an injector blade seems to be a waste of time. Smile

37 1,731
 06-11-2012, 06:48 PM
User Info
(06-11-2012, 06:07 PM)yohannrjm Wrote: I usually toss my injector blades after seven shaves, but they're still good at that point.

Given the amount of money I've thrown at this hobby, trying to squeeze a few more shaves out of an injector blade seems to be a waste of time. Smile

I feel essentially the same way. I don't try to extend the life of a blade to save money; I just hate to throw away something that is still perfectly good.

183 12,002
 06-11-2012, 06:53 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I generally change a blade every Monday morning, which means 7 shaves per blade. But, I have pushed it to 15 shaves before.

I agree the Chinese made Schick blades are the best, but these blades made by Personna are not to bad, especially for the price. Look at item #71990 and #71991.

http://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/prod...aspx#71990

173 23,490
 06-11-2012, 07:47 PM
User Info
(06-11-2012, 06:07 PM)yohannrjm Wrote: I usually toss my injector blades after seven shaves, but they're still good at that point.

There's a difference between throwing money in to something and throwing money away. I never asked how far you can push a blade, I know all to well what hell a pushed blade can unleash on you. LOL
I was just trying to get an idea of how long the blades typically last.

I don't consider shaving a hobbie, I'm just trying to find the best shaving products. I've tried everything but an injector, so I want to give one a chance. If it can't compete with my slant then I'll stick with the slant. I think the injector stands a good chance.

(06-11-2012, 06:53 PM)Johnny Wrote: I generally change a blade every Monday morning, which means 7 shaves per blade. But, I have pushed it to 15 shaves before.

I agree the Chinese made Schick blades are the best, but these blades made by Personna are not to bad, especially for the price. Look at item #71990 and #71991.

http://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/prod...aspx#71990

That 7 day system sounds great. I'm amazed at how long these blades are lasting people and 7 was the number I was hoping to reach; which appears to be easily reached. I'll use the Schick blades, buying blades from a biology site just gives me the creeps--nice prices though. LOL

Thanks for the input everyone, it's much appreciated.

9 451
 06-11-2012, 09:14 PM
User Info
Good luck with the SE shaves, John.
i still think you guys are nuts using those injector blades as i had horrible results with them and the injectors, but use the Cobra, so....

75 20,883
 06-11-2012, 10:28 PM
User Info
(06-11-2012, 09:14 PM)celestino Wrote: Good luck with the SE shaves, John.
i still think you guys are nuts using those injector blades as i had horrible results with them and the injectors, but use the Cobra, so....

Well at least you tried an injector, I've yet to use one, so I can't have an opinion on them. What injectors did you try? I'm starting of with a type E, so I might have a horrible experience as well. I'd like to try a type I, maybe a bit more mild. I don't care for the looks of any injector except the G4.

One thing I noticed is how cheap they look, the E that I have is very flimsy and flexes and bends very easy; however I don't expect an 18 gauge copper razor to be very firm. I hate copper, but they used it because it was easy to stamp and an inexpensive material.

9 451
 06-12-2012, 07:05 AM
User Info
(06-11-2012, 01:08 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote:
(06-11-2012, 01:03 PM)wknicholas Wrote: I get the Chinese Schick injector blades locally at Bi-Mart here in Oregon - $6.99 for 7 blades, and there's no shipping.

that's pretty darn good if you shave regularly! I'd get a little less than that, but I'd also go 2-3 weeks without shaving. the injector blade has never had a problem mowing down my forest in the past, even from a blade that's had some use on it!

I shave every day, so that's 7-10+ shaves in a row with the Chinese Schicks! Smile

0 1,377
 06-12-2012, 07:12 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
None of my Schick razors are flimsy and flex. If yours flexes, maybe there is something wrong with it.

173 23,490
 06-12-2012, 10:53 AM
User Info
(06-12-2012, 07:12 AM)Johnny Wrote: None of my Schick razors are flimsy and flex. If yours flexes, maybe there is something wrong with it.

When I got the type E the top (everything above the handle) was bent forward pretty far--which made the angle very steep--a liitle press and it bent back to a more proper shave angle. The problem with copper is that it can't be hardened and bends easily. Being mass produced from copper sheet stock, I doubt Schick work hardened their razors.

I'm not saying that it's like a wet noodle on a stick or unusable, just that with a bit of pressure it will flex and a bit more it will bend. Actually, it's kind of like an adjustable. LOL

9 451
 06-12-2012, 12:44 PM
User Info
(06-12-2012, 07:12 AM)Johnny Wrote: None of my Schick razors are flimsy and flex. If yours flexes, maybe there is something wrong with it.

Yeah, all of mine are pretty solid. Are you sure that you didn't pick up a Shik instead of a Schick? I wouldn't be surprised if someone has made a cheap knockoff of the genuine Schick.

31 7,912
 06-12-2012, 03:24 PM
User Info
(06-11-2012, 10:28 PM)Johnny9 Wrote:
(06-11-2012, 09:14 PM)celestino Wrote: Good luck with the SE shaves, John.

Well at least you tried an injector, I've yet to use one, so I can't have an opinion on them. What injectors did you try? I'm starting of with a type E, so I might have a horrible experience as well. I'd like to try a type I, maybe a bit more mild. I don't care for the looks of any injector except the G4.

One thing I noticed is how cheap they look, the E that I have is very flimsy and flexes and bends very easy; however I don't expect an 18 gauge copper razor to be very firm. I hate copper, but they used it because it was easy to stamp and an inexpensive material.

I believe the Type E and G Schick injectors are made of gold plated brass, not copper.

None of my Schick razors have flexed. If they ever flex while shaving, you might be using a bit too much pressure! Biggrin

0 1,377
 06-12-2012, 03:31 PM
User Info
Here's the info on EMS/Personna blades.

Below is the EMS product description, order no.'s and contact info.
Stainless Steel "PTFE" Coated 20 blades in a dispenser.
71990 Dispenser each 4.50
71991 Dispenser 10/lot 42.00

Phone in U.S.: 215-412-8400
Toll Free U.S. no.: 800-523-5874

1 2,827