04-20-2015, 05:19 PM
User Info
How many of you use a steamed towel first. It seems like that would take a long time for the everyday working man.

0 46
 04-20-2015, 05:22 PM
User Info
I only use a hot towel for evening, no-shower shaves.

39 3,920
 04-20-2015, 05:47 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
I prefer a good hot shower over the towel. 

59 4,503
 04-20-2015, 06:01 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
A hot towel is no hassle. Just a terry cloth face towel on your face. If your water temperature is not restricted and very hot water comes from your tap its quick work. A forum trick is to put a wet face towel in a baggie in the microwave for 30 secs . Conversely Craig the barber on youtube puts a wet face towel in the freezer for post shave. You can see some barbers shaving videos and some use extremely hot towels or steam on a clients face to great effect.You can actually see how the moist heat softens the beard making  it very easy to cut.

15 541
 04-20-2015, 06:43 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I take a hot shower and intermittently focus the hot water on my face. Just before getting out of the shower and heading over to the sink for the shave, I hold a hot washcloth over my face for about 60 seconds. This seems to be the best pre-shave treatment to soften my beard. If I didn't shower first, I would definitely be using a hot towel before the shave. 

38 5,113
 04-20-2015, 08:37 PM
User Info
I have never tried a hot-towel and I only wet my face with warm water prior to face-lathering!  It seems to work fine for me. Biggrin

83 21,081
 04-20-2015, 10:34 PM
User Info
I think the hot towel is a thing of luxury. When I have the time in cold weather I do it. But not steamed, just soaked in as hot water as I can stand, then put on my face as it hangs over the sink. I like to put a bit of soap on my face before doing it to better let the hot water do its work.

32 6,460
 04-20-2015, 11:28 PM
User Info
It will add an extra, approximate 5 minutes to your shave time, if you believe a 4+ minute hot towel treatment is the proper, minimal time for complete hydration. I do believe this and use this method prior to every shave. However, I shave before I shower. I look at it this way: Using a safety razor or SE razor, plus whipping up your own cream/soap takes longer than the canned goo and cartridge/disposable razor route anyway.

You could set your alarm clock 5-10 minutes earlier and give it a try. I have found the more hydrated and heated, the better. It's definitely worth it, if you feel your beard is not soft enough, prior to shaving.

Peace!

0 122
 04-21-2015, 02:52 AM
User Info
I always shave after a shower but when I'm not feeling well and need a shave I pull out the rice cooker I got from my mom after she passed away. It works fantastic for steaming towels and feels amazing especially during cold winter months and only takes a few minutes to get the towels piping hot. I just add a cup of water, put the vegetable stand in the cooker and the wet towel on the stand, by the time I have everything set up for the shave the towel is ready.

8 264
 04-21-2015, 05:37 AM
User Info
(04-21-2015, 02:52 AM)George N Wrote: I always shave after a shower but when I'm not feeling well and need a shave I pull out the rice cooker I got from my mom after she passed away. It works fantastic for steaming towels and feels amazing especially during cold winter months and only takes a few minutes to get the towels piping hot. I just add a cup of water, put the vegetable stand in the cooker and the wet towel on the stand, by the time I have everything set up for the shave the towel is ready.

Nice! Ingenuity at it's finest. Do you just heat the towel once, place on face for X amount of time and then shave or can you reheat the towel a few times to maximize heat during whatever duration you find acceptable?

Peace! 

0 122
 04-21-2015, 05:50 AM
User Info
On the road recently, I didn't have my usual glycerine soap, the tap water in the hotel was scalding hot, and facecloths were right in front of me.
It was a nice opportunity to use hot towels.

8 917
 04-21-2015, 06:16 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
Two hot towels, one on bare face while I make lather, then I lather up and re wet the towel and apply over the lather. Takes 10 extra minutes but aren't I worth it?  It's a nice way to start the day. 

7 451
 04-21-2015, 06:23 AM
User Info
(04-20-2015, 11:28 PM)I have found the more hydrated and heated, the better. It\s definitely worth it, if you feel your beard is not soft enough, prior to shaving. Wrote: I'm thinking my tough beard could benefit using a hot towel since the blade seems like it is tugging, especially around my chin.

9 202
 04-21-2015, 08:09 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
Save time use this for prep while setting up your shaving gear and lathering your brush[Image: bmcNnpp.jpg]h.
[Image: mlgOOKR.jpg]

68 1,068
 04-21-2015, 08:19 AM
User Info
My barber uses a hot towel when he shaves me, but I never do at home.  I'm generally in a hurry, and spend about 7 minutes on my entire shave.

3 28
 04-21-2015, 09:18 AM
User Info
For me:  "YMMV" have have always used a hot  (steamy towel) as part of my pre-shave preparation & Pre-shave balm. "water soluble"

I seem to get a better shave ( it only adds a couple of minutes extra to the shave)

Charles  U.K

0 2,428
 04-21-2015, 10:48 AM
User Info
Barrylu, that mask is a scream! I'll bet it works superbly too -- why do effective inventions like this always get a laugh? I've got a pair of those "over your eyeglasses" sunglasses that make me look like Roy Orbison from outer space, but who cares? (well, my wife for one -- asked me to never wear them when I'm with her . . . O well)

That's OK, and I'm happy to comply, but they're wonderfully effective -- elastic band hot/moist barber towel? Oh, yes please!

Champion idea.
Euro

5 395
 04-21-2015, 11:26 AM
User Info
(04-21-2015, 06:23 AM)KevinD Wrote:
(04-20-2015, 11:28 PM)I have found the more hydrated and heated, the better. It\s definitely worth it, if you feel your beard is not soft enough, prior to shaving. Wrote: I'm thinking my tough beard could benefit using a hot towel since the blade seems like it is tugging, especially around my chin.

After having a similar tugging problem to the left and right, under the corners of my mouth, I finally realized that there are two concave areas which never got hydrated enough. Pulling every shave with guaranteed micro-cuts and rash. I just started sticking my tongue under my lower lip while "hot toweling". Problem solved. I haven't had a problem since.

Make sure when you towel up, to absolutely apply pressure to that specific area. From my experience stated above, this could solve your problem.

P.S. - I also hit my two caverns first, with every pass. You may want to try shaving your chin first and then save the easy, flat areas last. This may also help.

Peace!

0 122
 04-21-2015, 11:30 AM
User Info
Barrylu,

That is classic! Another example of shaving ingenuity in one thread. Now if you can heat that face mask in a rice cooker, multiple times, the shaving world will never again be the same!

Peace, Gentlemen!

0 122
 04-21-2015, 02:47 PM
User Info
(04-21-2015, 05:37 AM)Nusquam Humanitus Wrote:
(04-21-2015, 02:52 AM)George N Wrote: I always shave after a shower but when I'm not feeling well and need a shave I pull out the rice cooker I got from my mom after she passed away. It works fantastic for steaming towels and feels amazing especially during cold winter months and only takes a few minutes to get the towels piping hot. I just add a cup of water, put the vegetable stand in the cooker and the wet towel on the stand, by the time I have everything set up for the shave the towel is ready.

Nice! Ingenuity at it's finest. Do you just heat the towel once, place on face for X amount of time and then shave or can you reheat the towel a few times to maximize heat during whatever duration you find acceptable?

Peace! 

Thanks, my wife did raise an eyebrow but when she saw how much a towel steamer costs she was all for it, lol. I put two towels in just in case I need the extra one but usually I just use one.

8 264