04-20-2015, 11:01 PM
User Info
The similar thread regarding years of blades on hand worked out pretty good, so here goes this one.

I plan on never having to go back to shaving the way I once did and I know others on the forum have the same idea.

How many shave soaps for personal use do you have on hand? That includes hard soaps, croaps, and creams, as long as it's a product that makes lather or does the job of shave soap it should be counted. It's OK if you're a retailer or wholesaler, please just separate the 2 uses into personal use and business inventory. If you want to tell us how much of each, that's OK, but I'm really just looking for a number.

I'll go first. First I'd have to inventory what I have to get a precise count, but for personal use I'd estimate 100 unopened soaps out in the shop in storage. There are an additional 34 open and in use in the shave cabinet, with another 37 unopened in a tote above the cabinet. If I buy no more I certainly have a lifetimes worth unless I use them in the shower. I am doing that with some soaps, but I didn't count those.

In inventory for business, probably close to 100. Of course that number varies.

32 6,470
 04-21-2015, 12:42 AM
User Info
I came into this thread thinking I have a problem. Ha! My collection is scarce comparatively. I don't have an exact count, but I'd say between all my creams, soaps and croaps I probably have about 40 different items. None of them unopened. Everything used at least once.

With that said, I intend to sell about 10-15 of them in the near future, because I feel a bit ridiculous as it is with enough soap to last for an easy decade or more. Frankly, I feel as though I could probably be stockpiling more important items, as it is likely there will be plenty of shaving soaps available in 2025. Unless of course we are in some sort of apocalypse situation, at which point shaving my neck will be less important than protecting it lol.

4 63
 04-21-2015, 01:38 AM
User Info
25-30.....

3 117
 04-21-2015, 02:03 AM
User Info
It's between 10 and 20, but several of those are unopened and will stay that way until I work down open inventory.
No more purchases either. I've been making a concerted effort to keep things lean.

8 950
 04-21-2015, 02:12 AM
  • Aleksey
  • Enabler
  • Istanbul, Turkiye
User Info
25 soaps and maybe 5 creams. Half of them are unopened, though. Maybe I can do some additions and I might think getting rid of some.

0 1,053
 04-21-2015, 02:16 AM
  • P.B
  • UK
User Info
19 plus some samples.  All open and in use.  Ideally I'd like to have 10 or fewer (NSS, Jabonman, Mike's Natural, XPEC, and space for a few others.)

Better start loading more heavily! 

1 225
 04-21-2015, 02:20 AM
User Info
I have 20 soaps at the moment, I enjoy all of them but won't be replacing about a dozen of them.  I don't plan on making any purchase the next few months although there are still many soaps I want to try.

18 468
 04-21-2015, 02:33 AM
User Info
Full unopened 96, opened 37. In my defense I have bought a few for gifts for my son and father in-law and my wife has her favorites too but still have a lot. I have committed to trying a new one each day until I have used them all at least once and then I will make my decision on what to keep. They are kept in my study where I store my cigars, it is temperature and humidity controlled but I do get concerned about their shelf life so I use the oldest ones first. 

8 264
 04-21-2015, 03:03 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
58 of the little buggers in use most stored in a wine cooler. Knowing what I know now I could get rid of all but the Arko, Palmolive shave sticks, Tabac, Boellis Panama 1924 and a few creams. If I don't used them all by the time I kick my beneficiaries can have the pleasure of chucking them out. It has been fun though.

Bob

0 1,694
 04-21-2015, 03:14 AM
User Info
158 not including samples.
I stored them in my office.
Otherwise SWMBO will kill me.

2 122
 04-21-2015, 03:27 AM
User Info
I currently have 2 creams and 3 soaps. Although having got the most recent 2 I'm thinking of getting rid of 1.

0 16
 04-21-2015, 03:51 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
32 using and waiting to be used.  

I have another  5 or 6 that I bought when I started that I will never get to (Williams, col. Conk and the like). 

So far I have 6 or 7 that I will replace when they are out. The rest are good but the 6 or 7 are great. 

9 462
 04-21-2015, 04:42 AM
User Info
I have 20-25 , I am in process of reducing the numbers though.

11 435
 04-21-2015, 04:52 AM
User Info
15 pucks of Haslinger, only because they are cheap to bring in to Canada in bulk.

A few straggler pucks of soft soaps, maybe 5-6 that I am working my way through.

Then I have a couple sticks for travel or that were picked up along the way, probably 4-5.

8 2,718
 04-21-2015, 06:29 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
After a couple of years in the hobby - I started whittling down using a "you're tier-1 or you're out" strategy. I now have ~6 soaps (not counting duplicates).

17 535
 04-21-2015, 06:47 AM
User Info
(04-21-2015, 06:29 AM)v4257 Wrote: After a couple of years in the hobby - I started whittling down using a "you're tier-1 or you're out" strategy. I now have ~6 soaps (not counting duplicates).

I have adopted basically the same philosophy, I have my top shelf standards, and there are often applicants, but if they don't make the cut, they go out he door. I don't have it whittled quite so far down, especially if you count different scents in the same product line, but the numbers are drastically reduced from what they once were. I have approximately 25, if you don't count backups and a couple of samples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 89
 04-21-2015, 06:51 AM
User Info
I have about 10 I think but of those, three of them are ones that I don't use and aren't worth the effort to put them up for sale.  There are another 2-3 that I am still "evaluating" whether I like them enough to keep them.  So there are 2-3 that are "work horses."

84 1,505
 04-21-2015, 07:08 AM
User Info
24 soaps, 5 creams. Wow, my den is downright tiny compared to many. I've been selling and trading over the course of 2015 to the point where almost everything I now have are products I really enjoy and intend to keep. Although only a few will be repurchased when they are gone since I'll be wanting to try something new when that day (finally) comes. 

Soaps
Arko
Caties Bubbles LTV
Cella (brick)
Cold River Soap Works - Classic - Nouveaux Fougere
Irisch Moos x2
Jabonman Violetas
Klar (Dusy) Kabinett
Klar Classic
LA Shaving Co. Woody Lavender
La Toja
Le Pere Lucien
Mama Bear Dragon's Blood
Mike's Barbershop
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Mystic Water Irish Traveller
Mystic Water Orange Spice Tea
Palmolive EU
PannaCrema Lavandotto
SCS Old Spice Type
Speick
Tabac
Valobra
Wickham's English Rose 

Creams
Godrej Lime
Irisch Moos
Musgo Real Classic
Palmolive
Speick

41 1,196
 04-21-2015, 07:13 AM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
I currently have 7 soaps & 4 creams.
I like to stick around 10 products at a time as to not have too many things sitting around unused forever. If I have something I don't like or use, it gets the axe for something I will like & use. If I finish a product and like it enough I'll replace it, if not I'll try something else.

2 522
 04-21-2015, 07:45 AM
User Info
I keep six in my cabinet by the sink.  They are the ones I consider to be superior - the Varsity squad, if you will..  Then I have anywhere from 4-6 samples that I will use from time to time.  I like to think of it like they are getting their shot at the big leagues.  If a sample surprises me and I eventually deem it worthy of the cabinet, then I must demote/sell one of the six and purchase a full puck of the sample to take it's place.  It's not always an easy decision to demote a cabinet soap.

16 249