04-21-2015, 12:23 PM
User Info
I want to ask if there are certain DE blades that work better for guys who skip 2-3 days between shaves? I have never been a daily shaver and don't see myself starting at this time.
My razor is a Standard Razors DE and my beard is course with a mix of salt/pepper whiskers. Irish decent if that helps.
I've tried the Personna med and they felt like they were struggling in some areas of my face. The Feather blade cut better than the Personna but it left my face feeling a little sore. I was thinking maybe a Treet carbon steel blade, are they stiffer than stainless? Or Super Iridiums possible since they get positive reviews from most folks? Thanks in advance.

9 202
 04-21-2015, 01:31 PM
User Info
If you liked the sharpness of Feathers but felt they were unforgiving then try Crystal (Israeli Personna). I just checked Amazon and they're going for $18.88 for 120 blades.

Don't try Treet carbon steel. I used one for the first time last week and they were the dullest. Skipped so much I ended up with two ingrown hairs that won't go away.

4 355
 04-21-2015, 05:38 PM
User Info
Astra SP (in the green package) were smooth for me.  Shaving with cold water reduced irritation completely.  A warm (not hot) shower is all I use for prep.    

1 220
 04-21-2015, 07:02 PM
User Info
Voskhod
Voskhod
Voskhod

PolSilver SI
Gillette Silver Blue

But in case I did not make myself clear (and you can get them at the moment for next to nothing):
VOSKHOD Biggrin

7 883
 04-21-2015, 08:20 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Blades will display the same characteristics be it one day or three days growth. What you might want to consider is an open comb razor.
My Jaeger 89 is lovely on one day's growth. But on a few recent occasions when illness prevented shaving for several days it was like a
garbage disposer full of rice . My Parker OC easily knocked down enough on the first pass to switch back to my Jaeger.

2 3,171
 05-27-2015, 11:36 AM
User Info
I think the razor is also a large factor apart from the razor blade. I also shave every 3-4 days and I have found Astra SP and Polsilver to be pretty good in most razors. To get a very smooth shave it depends more on the razor for me, but there is certain blades that are very tuggy for me. I also found feather too sharp. You may want to try sharp blades similar to feather like 7oclock black, Kai, Bolzano, etc.

Try a couple of different blades out, if you don't have much luck, you may want to try a more aggressive razor, maybe a slant or OC.

0 54
 05-27-2015, 12:51 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(04-21-2015, 12:23 PM)KevinD Wrote: I want to ask if there are certain DE blades that work better for guys who skip 2-3 days between shaves?
I have never been a daily shaver and don't see myself starting at this time.
My razor is a Standard Razors DE.  
I was thinking maybe Super Iridiums possible since they get positive reviews from most folks?

My first ever DE razor (just one year ago, after five decades of badger brush generated real lather shaving every day) was a Standard Razors razor like yours.  It is a nice razor, for sure.  Over the course of about ten months, shaving (unlike you) daily, I used only three brands of blades in it, but used multiple boxes of:   Gillette Silver Blue, Polsilver Iridium Super (which was made in the St. Petersburg facility and has the words “Super Iridium" printed on the blade; but the box is labeled, “Iridium Super,” and the rest of the writing on the box in Polish), and KAI (made in Seki, Japan).  Physically, the KAI is a bit stiffer and springier than either the GSB or the Polsilver, and the post holes in the blade are a bit smaller and make a snugger fit on the Standard Razors razor’s posts.  

On a scale of 1 to 10, the KAI is a 10.   Were it not for the high bar set by the KAI, I should have rated both the GSB and the Polsilver as at least a 9; I could live happily with either as my only blade.  But the KAI is so much better — for me — I have no choice but to expand the scale:  so I would rate the GSB as a 7 and the Polsilver as a 7+, just barely edging (no pun intended) the GSB.   Of course, going forward after that trial period, my purchases of non-KAI blades have diminished to zero.  But (as always) YMMV.  

0 1,049
 05-28-2015, 10:54 PM
User Info
I suggest Polsilver Super Iridium or KAI or Feather. From the inexpensive blades, Astra SS is the most reliable and forgiving.

29 275
 05-28-2015, 11:44 PM
User Info
Your best bet would be to try and get hold of a sample pack and find out which blade works for you. I have to agree with others, Polsilver SI are my favourite blades - sharp and smooth, followed closely buy the Gillette 7'O Clocks (yellow or green) and third the Feather blades.

7 783
 05-29-2015, 01:03 AM
User Info
All "made in Russia" blades are very nice. My favorites are Gillete Silver Blue and Polisilver Super Iridium. Sharp and smooth.

2 64
 05-29-2015, 02:57 AM
  • Aleksey
  • Enabler
  • Istanbul, Turkiye
User Info
7 o'clock Sharpedge was my favorite blade while using Standard. It is magical.
It is a nice razor that can use mild blades and sharp blades for you to decide how aggresive shave you want.
Take advantage of it. Smile

0 1,053
 05-29-2015, 03:12 AM
User Info
(04-21-2015, 07:02 PM)alfredus Wrote: Voskhod
Voskhod
Voskhod

PolSilver SI
Gillette Silver Blue

But in case I did not make myself clear (and you can get them at the moment for next to nothing):
VOSKHOD Biggrin
I took your advice and used a Voskhod. It was probably my best shave so far. Thanks!

9 202
 05-29-2015, 04:38 AM
User Info
Excellent choice! Smile

21 1,175
 05-29-2015, 10:23 AM
User Info
Astras are good. I was fortunate to receive a sample of Voskhod from Eric on the forum and tried it today and found them excellent. Both Astras and Voshkods are an excellent value.

10 64
 05-29-2015, 04:33 PM
User Info
I tried a Personna Med Prep blade today and liked it very much, and  I also like a Feather in my AS-D2. However, I also like Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge in the yellow package. I agree that the razor makes a big difference. For example, I find I like the Gillette better in my Merkur Futur than the Feather...go figure... The AS-D2 doesn't seem to work as well trimming heavy growth as the Futur (trimming sideburns too), but the AS-D2 is wonderful on my normal daily growth with the Feather or the Personna. 

1 142
 05-29-2015, 06:13 PM
User Info
feather, gsb, nacet

53 760
 07-05-2015, 08:09 AM
User Info
Personna Lab Blues.

1 52
 07-23-2015, 11:04 AM
User Info
Voskhods and GSBs are great.  If you skip days in between you can probalby also get away with Personna Lab blues or Astra SPs which I find to be slightly less smooth than the previous 2 but they will be fine if you aren't using them every day.

10 407
 07-23-2015, 11:07 AM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
Mos of the time i'm not a daily shaver, too. My favourite blades are Super Iridiun, Silver Blues, Nacet, Perma-Sharp, yello 7 o'clocks, Feathers, Laser platinum, Voshkods, Rapira Platnium, Gillette Rubie, and the brazilian gillette azul aço inox.

4 447
 07-23-2015, 11:28 AM
  • PR82
  • California, US
User Info
Personna 74 blades are my favorite. It's just too bad they have been discontinued. But you can find NOS sometimes on ebay

7 298