04-22-2015, 03:19 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Please, before beginning; I am not a stuffed shirt or without humour. But I just tried watching some shave related shorts online and except for the great Mantic and our own Phil gave up. I know few of us are thespians, public orators or scriptwriters. But come on people! I don't need air guitar
or people trying to emulate Doctor Demento and Wolfman Jack   blathering semi coherently.
I am also a little 'fatiqued' by the names of artisan products. We are either presented with some proto matrilinear mother goddess/hippie image of
a straw hatted grandmother selling organic garlic at the local farmers market or some rebel without a clue taking on a Victorian personae even Sean Connery will no longer touch and a product called ROADKILL # 13  or  AARDVARK SNOT.

2 3,171
 04-22-2015, 03:43 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
 04-22-2015, 05:31 PM
User Info
Awww... Now I've got to think up different names for our upcoming new scents. I thought "Aardvark Snot" was pretty good...

In all seriousness, I guess the wacky product names help one stand out in a crowded market.

0 1,181
 04-22-2015, 07:05 PM
User Info
(04-22-2015, 05:31 PM)Shannon Wrote: Awww... Now I've got to think up different names for our upcoming new scents. I thought "Aardvark Snot" was pretty good...

In all seriousness, I guess the wacky product names help one stand out in a crowded market.
Or alienate oneself from the consumer...

53 4,978
 04-22-2015, 08:24 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Two Italian terms come to mind. Coloratura in Opera roughly translates to those wonderful individual phrasings of the Libretto within the score and Spettzatura a fashion elan that again displays an individual flair without being an trainwreck of style.  

2 3,171
 04-23-2015, 03:17 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
Ther there are a fair amount of soaps I will not put in my den for fear of the children reading the names. 

9 463
 04-23-2015, 03:51 AM
User Info
Does Mother Fokker ring a bell.

145 14,006
 04-23-2015, 04:15 AM
User Info
(04-23-2015, 03:51 AM)slantman Wrote: Does Mother Fokker ring a bell.

Usually im not really swayed one way or another by the names of the products but I didnt buy afore mentioned product for the exact reason that jtmke mentioned. I could just hear my step-daughter calling me because our granddaughter was in the Principals office for saying the name of my shave soap. I hear its a very good shave soap, maybe I could put a cover over the lable and call it "Feminine Reproduction" or "Maternal Consumation". Maybe not.  

8 264
 04-23-2015, 06:21 AM
User Info
Well, marketing can always backfire. 

I hate the Mazda 'Zoom, zoom' ads so much that I have sworn I will never own a Mazda - even if I'm given one for free (I would take it, sell it, and buy a Honda). Similarly, I hate the Jared ads, and told my wife (then girlfriend), that her engagement and wedding rings were going to be bought from anywhere but there. 

As Primo said, sticking out in a crowded market can alienate customers if it's not done with some consideration about how they will react to it. 

37 1,750
 04-23-2015, 06:30 AM
User Info
(04-22-2015, 08:24 PM)kav Wrote: Two Italian terms come to mind. Coloratura in Opera roughly translates to those wonderful individual phrasings of the Libretto within the score and Spettzatura a fashion elan that again displays an individual flair without being an trainwreck of style.  
Coloratura refers to the florid, vocal passages of an aria; melismas, runs, etc. It is not based upon the libretto, rather the emotion.
Spezzatura is a break in the norm; i.e. a book that doesn't belong to a set--that's spezzatura.
Returning to the OP's comment, I agree 100%. I almost posted something myself, but don't want to come off as an old fuddy-duddy. I HATE the catchy, confusing, constantly-changing names (and labels) that are all the rage with some soap artisans. "Quatre-vingt" "Dirty Cupcake" Ridiculous. JMO, but my motto is "K.I.S.S."
Phew, that's off my chest.  Angel

53 4,978
 04-23-2015, 06:53 AM
User Info
For me, it's a question of signal to noise ratio.
These days I find it hard to find time to watch something I really like, such as a favorite TV show or a baseball game. I'm not watching shaving videos.

And there's such a profusion of soaps out there that as a result, I'm not really looking at any of them. I've got too much inventory as it stands.
Once I do clear it, I'm likely to turn to a classic or two that I've never tried (MWF, Tabac), or else Cold River.

10 1,076
 04-23-2015, 08:49 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Primo, Your definitions are correct. Forgive my clumsy translation. Spettzatura has been borrowed for men's clothing. IE stuffing a colourfull pouche( pocket square, handkerchief) into the breast pocket instead of a neat TV fold in an otherwise 'correct' set of wardrobe.
I hope SHANNON'S soaps will not feel my complaint is focused on them alone. Advertising is an alchemy that often turns gold into lead. A whole, and
rapidly growing age demographic isn't even targeted; being 'set in our buying habits'. Oh? I navigate a landmine field of products and services I WONT
buy; sweatshop clothing, east coast farm raised salmon, bottled water etc. What I do buy- and aggressively seek reflects a gentility to buffer the studied and vulgar mediocrity we call CRASS consumerism. Wet shaving reflects this most ably. When Walter Mitty picks up that Vie-Long it's Lord Grantham looking in the mirror while Pyewacket is Mr Bates testing the water temperature with his paw.

2 3,171
 04-23-2015, 03:31 PM
User Info
(04-23-2015, 06:21 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: I hate the Mazda 'Zoom, zoom' ads so much that I have sworn I will never own a Mazda. 

I thought I was the only one!

(04-23-2015, 08:49 AM)kav Wrote: I hope SHANNON'S soaps will not feel my complaint is focused on them alone.

No, I didn't think that.  Our product names are pretty tame, I think:

Silk Pajamas
Lady Luck
Bay Patchouli Grapefruit
Lavender Lemongrass
etc.

I was speculating as to the motives behind the wacky names.  There are lots of soaps out there, and I imagine an edgy name attracts some attention.

0 1,181
 04-23-2015, 06:04 PM
User Info
Good thing I don't have a TV and I don't get to experience those ads!  Biggrin
I guess I am fortunate to have found a great soap with very simple names, then, when I first started wet shaving. 

89 21,239
 06-23-2015, 08:30 AM
User Info
Crazy names are common for the products of the small beer/cider breweries as well, and the "out there" soap names seem calculated to appeal to the same type of client, or at least that age range.

My vote for the "worst commercial of the year" trophy:  a tie between the Cotonelle "Go Commando" commercial and the Geico talking horse/blond on the beach.  The British accent can't redeem the vulgarity of the first, and the sexy blond on the beach with the talking horse is just wrong.

0 286
 06-23-2015, 08:39 AM
  • ncguy1
  • TARHEEL
  • North Carolina
User Info
(06-23-2015, 08:30 AM)Mystic Water Wrote: and the sexy blond on the beach with the talking horse is just wrong.

Wait....You mean there's a horse in this commercial on the beach with Hannah Davis Doubt   Biggrin

18 260
 06-23-2015, 12:27 PM
User Info
(06-23-2015, 08:39 AM)ncguy1 Wrote:
(06-23-2015, 08:30 AM)Mystic Water Wrote: and the sexy blond on the beach with the talking horse is just wrong.

Wait....You mean there's a horse in this commercial on the beach with Hannah Davis Doubt   Biggrin

Lol!!!  Oh, right...this is a forum full of guys....

0 286
 06-23-2015, 02:07 PM
User Info
(06-23-2015, 08:30 AM)Mystic Water Wrote: Crazy names are common for the products of the small beer/cider breweries as well, and the "out there" soap names seem calculated to appeal to the same type of client, or at least that age range.

Hipsters in other words.

18 716
 06-23-2015, 02:16 PM
  • ncguy1
  • TARHEEL
  • North Carolina
User Info
(06-23-2015, 12:27 PM)Mystic Water Wrote:
(06-23-2015, 08:39 AM)ncguy1 Wrote:

Lol!!!  Oh, right...this is a forum full of guys....

Hahaha yeah my wife always says "Oh great,here's your commercial again".   Biggrin

18 260
 06-23-2015, 02:51 PM
User Info
Yea I really wanted to try "date night" as well as "panty dropper" shave soaps. Although IMHO my couch is pretty comfortable I don't want to sleep on it from now on. The thought of being smothered in my sleep also crossed my mind. I ended up picking different soaps from the companies purely because of names. I also have a 10 year old boy and I know he would tell all his buddies about the soaps I mentioned above had I bought them, or He would smell like them everyday  Biggrin . I wish I had a camera when I read the post from bullgoose stating they had "ass milk soap". Having never heard of such a thing I was baffled and a little disgusted lol.

3 1,356