06-11-2012, 07:15 PM
User Info
Through the generosity of others I have come into possession of a couple "spare" Cobra Classics, which is hands down my favorite shaver. Since I can only shave with one at a time I have decided to start a tour here on The Shave Nook. There will be two tour boxes: one headed to Australia and the other staying stateside.

General requirements for participation
Active Shave Nook members in "good standing" are welcome to send me a PM regarding participating in the tour. I would suggest active and good standing infers you have been around TSN for at least a couple months and are participating in the community. If you are active on other shaving forums and are new to TSN - such as myself - I will take that into consideration. And if you do not qualify today but have interest, you may become eligible as the tour unfolds...so please feel free to send me a message and I can add you to the "reserve" list.

Following are the RULZ I have once again shamelessly borrowed from our good friend and moderator Texbilly. (As Bill's tour was for a Joris I have taken liberties in editing to reference the Cobra Classic.) I hope he will not mind as he did such a great job summarizing them. Biggrin

---------
Gents, nothing but a bit of common courtesy here, meant to keep the tour fair, fun and safe. Blush

1. Please limit your time with the gear no more than 7 days. This should be enough time for some quality shaves and impressions. Sure, there will be exceptions and if you know ahead of time your schedule will be limited (vacation, job constraints, travel...), let me know so we can adjust the order and keep the momentum going.

2. Each package will contain a Cobra Classic, a 20-pack of Feather Professional and a 20 pack of Kai Mild blades. There will also be some soaps and/or creams in the box staying in the United States. Each member is invited to use one of each blade, so the packages I am sending should allow 20 (x 2) members to try the razor. Members are also invited to try the other items in the box, which is why they are being included.

3. I am shipping the razors clean and sterilized. Please do the same before handing it off to the next member. Soapy hot water, Barbicide and Scrubby Bubbles are good. Boiling water baths are bad. Confused

4. Wrap carefully and ship the package as your means allow. It will be shipping in a Medium Priority Mail flat rate box. If this is a hardship, please switch to a clean, generic box and pack securely. The razor and blades are valued at approximately $190, so please consider insuring the package.

5. Communicate. Please post in the official tour thread when you receive the razor and when it ships. Please PM me as needed or if you have questions. It is never fun to track you down if you are in possession of some expensive toys. Dodgy

6. Post reviews! Please share your impressions, good or bad, with your fellow TSN members.

7. Have fun and...go Shave Nook! Biggrin

--------

Thus far the tour participants are as follows. Please contact me if you are not on the list and are interested in participating.

Box #1 (Australia)
Ben74

Box #2
Glassmtn
lindyhop66
GreekGuy
VPayne
chicagotrim

[Image: NorthCarolina188-1.jpg]
[Image: NorthCarolina182-1.jpg]
[Image: NorthCarolina183.jpg]
[Image: NorthCarolina184.jpg]
[Image: NorthCarolina185.jpg]
[Image: NorthCarolina186-1.jpg]
[Image: NorthCarolina187-1.jpg]

51 387
 06-11-2012, 07:21 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
Michael,

This is an incredibly generous offer, thanks again for including me. I was about to ask if it came with instructions, but then I saw those nice videos. I've never tried so much as an injector, so this is going to be fun for me Biggrin

9 541
 06-11-2012, 07:52 PM
User Info
Thank you for doing this, Michael.

21 1,478
 06-11-2012, 08:07 PM
User Info
I agree, incredibly generous tour razor, but I'm not in.

32 6,311
 06-11-2012, 09:16 PM
User Info
Heh, what's going on with the new box for the Cobra?!
When i got mine for $145 it came in a cheap cardboard box!
What, they increase the price by $25 to compensate for the new box, now! Sheesh!
Maybe i should ask if they can send me a replacement box!Huh

75 20,883
 06-11-2012, 09:41 PM
User Info
I'm looking forward to trying it. Thanks again.

184 12,003
 06-12-2012, 04:22 AM
User Info
(06-11-2012, 09:16 PM)celestino Wrote: Heh, what's going on with the new box for the Cobra?!
When i got mine for $145 it came in a cheap cardboard box!
What, they increase the price by $25 to compensate for the new box, now! Sheesh!
Maybe i should ask if they can send me a replacement box!Huh

The box is nice. Not 25.00 nice, but nice. I think at the price they're asking they need to do something to help out the presentation. A nice travel case would be nicer though - something like what Tradere does, or even a wood box like the Stainless Feathers.

Excellent, excellent shavers, but there's not much customization that can be done to the razor itself to raise the price point - like Jagger does by offering upgraded handles with their heads. Demand seems to push the price just fine though.

Enjoy the tour.

12 96
 06-12-2012, 04:45 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Michael, I can hardly contain my excitement!

Thank-you so much for agreeing to include me in the tour. I understand shipping to Australia is not only costly, but time consuming too, given the great distance. The Cobra has been a razor that I've debated acquiring many times. I often regret the not so often opportunities on the B/S/T that I let this razor pass me by. My hesitation has always been based on investing in something that I had absolutely no experience with. Unlike DE's, I was able to choose more modest hardware to experiment with and learn what was right for me before spending up on more expensive selections. I was also hesitant due to the Feather blade not ranking among my favourites. It's only recently I've learnt of the Kai blades, which has again heightened my interest in this razor. In preparation, I've watch the instructional videos you posted at the beginning of this thread and familiarised myself with the more than fair, sensible and courteous guideline (rules).

Like the other gentlemen before me, I wish to thank you for your generosity and I'm looking forward to reporting on how the Cobra performs in the southern hemisphere...

91 17,875
 06-12-2012, 05:15 AM
  • vpayne
  • Missouri
User Info
Michael,
I am looking forward to this with considerable anticipation. It's nice to know before you buy.
Thanks,
Vic

32 362
 06-12-2012, 07:04 AM
User Info
Gents, I'm going to remove myself from this tour. I am certain that I am not going to want to buy a Cobra, so there's really no point in trying it. I'm perfectly happy with my current razors. So GreekGuy, when you are finished with it, send it on to VPayne instead of to me. Thanks.

184 12,003
 06-12-2012, 07:33 AM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I like the new packaging, I don't think it's worth the price increase though.

I think that you guys are going to really like this razor. I was lucky enough to get in on poonjaji's tour earlier in the year. I promptly purchased a Cobra of my own and it became my daily razor, It's practically the only razor I use anymore.

7 1,018
 06-12-2012, 08:45 AM
User Info
Like Sully, I was on a previous tour(thanks again Michael).

You guys are going to LOVE the Cobra! I look forward to reading you all's comments on it.

0 103
 06-12-2012, 10:26 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(06-12-2012, 07:04 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: Gents, I'm going to remove myself from this tour. I am certain that I am not going to want to buy a Cobra, so there's really no point in trying it. I'm perfectly happy with my current razors. So GreekGuy, when you are finished with it, send it on to VPayne instead of to me. Thanks.

Like John, I am removing myself from this tour. It is oh so tempting, but I will never buy one of these so there is no need for the temptation. There are Manchurian Badgers to save for.

173 23,553
 06-12-2012, 01:05 PM
User Info
(06-12-2012, 07:33 AM)Sully Wrote: I like the new packaging, I don't think it's worth the price increase though.

As my Cobra is on loan over at B&B I bought another Cobra for my own use. I paid $169 and it came in the small brown cardboard box, wrapped in butcher paper. I believe the new packaging is a recent change. When the tour eventually winds up maybe I will raffle off the boxes. Blush

51 387
 06-12-2012, 02:29 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Michael, you're the best! Cobra Tour TSN!

Guys, you will love this razor and I look forward to all of the impressions. I also should point out the premium contents of the box. Along with the great RazoRock assortment, I can strongly recommend the 1924 Panama soap - a real winner! Thumbup

35 2,703
 06-12-2012, 03:31 PM
  • mandoman
  • Southern California
User Info
never seen one of those before nice razor

0 34
 06-13-2012, 06:24 PM
User Info
Late night at the office. Box #2 has flown the coop. Box #1 will fly tomorrow when the post office is open.

51 387
 06-13-2012, 08:21 PM
User Info
Michael, you are a wonderful individual, my friend!

75 20,883
 06-13-2012, 08:33 PM
User Info
This is very nice of you. I don't know why there aren't more takers for this unique razor.

21 1,478
 06-14-2012, 05:05 PM
User Info
(06-12-2012, 04:45 AM)ben74 Wrote: I'm looking forward to reporting on how the Cobra performs in the southern hemisphere...

You can start the clock. The package began its journey to the southern hemisphere today.

And thanks for the kind words, gents. As I noted in my original post it was the generosity of others that put these Cobras in my hands. The kudos belong to them. I am just letting their generosity flow through me to you. Wink

51 387