06-11-2012, 08:05 PM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
[Image: ikon2.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

IKON S3S

For whatever reason I got a bad case of rad this last month. But you know how we roll…

I sold 3 others to bank roll this purchase. : ) shout out to the guys that purchased my Weber, Slant, and 30C.
I’ve always read about Ikon’s and some of the controversy that surrounds them. But I would just like to keep this discussion simply about the quality of the razor and not about anything else.

First of all this razor is very well built. I’ve never owned any other razor that comes close to this quality. Even the treads on this thing solid, they look like they will never wear out, and they are oh so smooth. This thing is pretty heavy because it’s all Marine grade stainless steel.

The razor comes with a mirror finish which looks very good. This particular razor was purchased on eBay as one of the last remaining stock that may have some sort of tooling blemish. I have to say if there is a blemish on it I really don’t care. Because I simply don’t know what it could be. I do see a slight scratch on the mirror finish but I think it adds character and makes all that more mine.

The razor’s handle is very grippy and I would say nicer to hold than the Webber bulldog, The Weber’s handle has a sharper pattern that feels a bit uncomfortable at first. I’m not a wuz or anything but it’s just a bit more comfy to hold.

I didn’t shave all weekend just so I could really put it to the test. I decided to use the persona medical blades because I was so impressed with them on the weber. They didn’t disappoint on this razor either. The shave was smooth and very efficient. And well worth the wait.

I started with the usual XTG with the comb side, and followed by an AGT with the other side, plus touch ups. Where ever I felt I needed a bit more aggressiveness, I just simply flipped it to the comb side and that seemed to do the trick.

The persona blade felt a bit mild with this razor, I think there must be a better blade combo for me. But I had absolutely no irritation nor any sort of sting from the alum or splash My first impressions of this razor are that its simply wonderful, very well built, and that it just feels like a very well made instrument not just a razor.

Here’s some specs:
Razor – 4.60 oz
Bull dog handle – 2.35 oz
Base of Head – 1.60 oz
Cap - .55 oz

1 265
 06-11-2012, 08:10 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
That's a great looking razor! I like the fact that it's really well made by a fellow who takes pride in his craftsmanship. You don't find that much anymore, unfortunately!

0 396
 06-11-2012, 09:10 PM
User Info
Congrats on the new acquisition and enjoy!

75 20,883
 06-12-2012, 01:25 AM
  • iKon
  • Vendor/Mfg.
  • NYC
User Info
(06-11-2012, 08:05 PM)Mynorx Wrote: [Image: ikon2.jpg]

IKON S3S

I’ve always read about Ikon’s and some of the controversy that surrounds them. But I would just like to keep this discussion simply about the quality of the razor and not about anything else.

[Image: iKonLogo-2-1.jpg]

Probably want to hang on to it ,

they will be highly sought after collectors items soon My Lightbulb

7 243
 06-12-2012, 01:31 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
The S3S is a fantastic razor. I think you will enjoy it.

116 3,804
 06-12-2012, 08:37 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
(06-12-2012, 01:25 AM)iKon Wrote: IKON S3S

ARRRRGH!!! quit reminding me Tongue
I have a few more months of saving before I can get there!

9 1,684
 06-12-2012, 09:22 AM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
(06-12-2012, 01:25 AM)iKon Wrote:
(06-11-2012, 08:05 PM)Mynorx Wrote: [Image: ikon2.jpg]

IKON S3S

[Image: iKonLogo-2-1.jpg]

HAHAHA... So modest too. But I think you're right. They will become collectors Items. I know I'll keep an eye out for your future work. Thanks for this one, I really enjoy it. For now I think I also wanna get the little stand for it. It looks sharp.

1 265
 06-12-2012, 10:46 AM
User Info
What a gorgeous razor. As above, get them while you can!

7 1,179
 06-12-2012, 05:05 PM
User Info
(06-11-2012, 08:05 PM)Mynorx Wrote: Here’s some specs:
Razor – 4.60 oz
Base of Head – 1.60 oz
Cap - .55 oz

See what happens when you get fancy and post a nice review that includes specifications?

It says the razor weighs (4.60 oz) Yet that's more than the combined weight you listed of it's individual pieces (4.50 oz)

Idea The missing .10 oz has got to be your your Personna Med Blade

Just messin' with ya man....Biggrin

Congratulations on your new S3S , Nice !

7 414
 06-13-2012, 01:37 PM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
(06-12-2012, 05:05 PM)razorx Wrote:
(06-11-2012, 08:05 PM)Mynorx Wrote: Here’s some specs:
Razor – 4.60 oz
Base of Head – 1.60 oz
Cap - .55 oz

See what happens when you get fancy and post a nice review that includes specifications?

It says the razor weighs (4.60 oz) Yet that's more than the combined weight you listed of it's individual pieces (4.50 oz)

Idea The missing .10 oz has got to be your your Personna Med Blade

Just messin' with ya man....Biggrin

Congratulations on your new S3S , Nice !

Oh man. That's one that came back to bite my buttBiggrin
. I just have a Harbor Freight Scale I'm sure it's not up to spec. Dodgy

I'm glad you guys like the razor and the pic. Shes proving to be a very forgiving despite her demeanor. I love it. Thanks guys

1 265
 06-14-2012, 07:09 AM
User Info
Great looking razor and great photo! I have the S3S and have been very impressed with the quality of its construction, and the shave it gives. I have never used open-combs that much, but am really enjoying the dual-head feature on this razor. I didn't expect to use the open-comb side much, but am finding that I'm using a bit more than the straight-bar side. Overall, the razor has been a joy to use.

34 122
 06-14-2012, 08:55 AM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
So far Ive used Medical Personna, 7 O'clock Yellow, and Feathers. All which have been very good. This has to be my favorite razor. Second would be Weber. But I sold it to get this one Biggrin

I don't know why but I feel that the closed side is more efficient than the comb side. anyone else get the same feeling with this razor? I alternate sides regularly that's no problem but I think I lean towards the closed side when I see some pesky hairs that need closer attention.

1 265
 06-14-2012, 09:24 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I like the closed side better as well.

116 3,804
 06-17-2012, 02:26 AM
  • R0B
  • The Netherlands
User Info
Congrats on your new razor!
The S3S is a true masterpiece and I like mine a lot.

"they will be highly sought after collectors items soon"

@Greg, something becomes a collectors item when it's not being produced any more. Did you gave us a hint?... Blush Confused

0 114
 06-17-2012, 02:43 AM
User Info
(06-17-2012, 02:26 AM)R0B Wrote: Congrats on your new razor!
The S3S is a true masterpiece and I like mine a lot.

"they will be highly sought after collectors items soon"

@Greg, something becomes a collectors item when it's not being produced any more. Did you gave us a hint?... Blush Confused

I would take that as a hint...

7 1,179
 06-18-2012, 05:53 PM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
[Image: polsilver.jpg]

Polsilver's are top dogs for me with this razor. All others have fallen short. Too mild for my taste.

1 265