04-25-2015, 03:45 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I'm getting the itch for a Simpson's brush. I really like the look of the Emperor, M7 and (some of) the Fifties series. But they're so much higher priced compared to the Colonel and Commodore lines which are relatively inexpensive in comparison. Are the Colonel and Commodore brushes less densely packed? Is it the size of the knot? The size and shape of the handles? Of the 2 less expensive models I think I prefer the size of the Colonel's handle and would likely lean in that direction, all things considered. Otoh, if money were no object I wouldn't object to an Emperor or M7.

Thoughts?

7 2,126
 04-25-2015, 03:55 AM
User Info
It's usually the density and hair grade that makes up the cost difference. Super Badger is much more expensive than Simpson's Best grade and even if the hair grade is the same, the more expensive brushes will have greater density.

44 486
 04-25-2015, 04:30 AM
User Info
Yes, as Al has said, it generally comes down to hair grade, and then density when comparing similar hair type brushes.
The Colonel was the very first Simpson brush I owned, and loved it.

31 5,293
 04-25-2015, 05:04 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
I have the Colonel and the Commodore. Both excellent brushes. I also have other Simpson brushes in super that I like very much. For the money, if you are going with Simpson you won't get a better value for the money than a Colonel or Commodore. The tips are soft, density is good and legendary Simpson backbone is present. Just all around nice. 

7 450
 04-25-2015, 05:46 AM
User Info
I have had Thater, Rooney, and Simpson and through the process of buying selling and trading I have found myself with a Commodore X2 that I've had for a year or so and it is my primary brush in my rotation. I generally face lather and the Commodore does a great job. It bowl lathers well also I just prefer face lathering. 

6 75
 04-25-2015, 12:35 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Thanks, all for the insight. All things considered, density, knot size and loft relative to handle size, hair type, etc., I'm definitely leaning in the direction of the Colonel. Your experience and input has supported what I suspected to be the case. Can you quantify in words the difference in face and hand feel between the Colonel and the comparable Commodore?

I'm going to hijack my own thread... why does there seem to be little in the way of mass love and admiration for those two brushes? I rarely see them mentioned. Correct me if I'm wrong but Simpsons chatter seems to be more Chubby related than it does Commodore/Colonel related.

7 2,126
 04-25-2015, 01:46 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
I use my Commodore every Monday for menthol soaps. It is a soft brush in best but obviously not a super or Thater soft. There are no scratchy bristles and of all my Simpson brushes only the Commodore and Colonel didn't shed on the first use. 

Chubby brushes are very dense and in super very soft. They should be tried for sure. I was hesitant at the price tag especially since I wanted supers but they are great. 

7 450
 04-25-2015, 06:07 PM
User Info
(04-25-2015, 12:35 PM)chazt Wrote: Thanks, all for the insight. All things considered, density, knot size and loft relative to handle size, hair type, etc., I'm definitely leaning in the direction of the Colonel. Your experience and input has supported what I suspected to be the case. Can you quantify in words the difference in face and hand feel between the Colonel and the comparable Commodore?

I'm going to hijack my own thread... why does there seem to be little in the way of mass love and admiration for those two brushes? I rarely see them mentioned. Correct me if I'm wrong but Simpsons chatter seems to be more Chubby related than it does Commodore/Colonel related.

While many appreciate the Commodore/Colonel line from Simpson, the Chubby has reached an iconic status. Probably there is no single brush mentioned more than a Chubby 2. If someone starts collecting brushes, at some point you have to try a Chubby. They're not for everyone. They're criticized for having awkward handles to hold and being overly dense. Still, there's nothing quite  like a Chubby.

44 486
 04-25-2015, 08:48 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
IMO you can't go wrong with a Colonel in Best...

99 18,011