04-25-2015, 11:54 AM
User Info
I find that the English Shaving Company -- which is probably the direct retailer for Edwin Jagger -- offers for sale replacement DE razor heads.  According to its web site, the product code is EJDEHbl5; and it is advertised as "the latest precision Edwin Jagger DE blade head which has created enormous interest among experienced wet shavers."  Are these the same razor heads currently sold by Edwin Jagger for its DE89 product line?  If not, how are the two heads different; and which head is better?  Also, I read some place that the Muhle razor heads are essentially the same as Edwin Jagger.  If this is correct, which company produces the better head?  Finally, I find that replacement heads can also be purchased directly from Muhle (referenced as R89 Geschl. Chrom.).  I am assuming -- but am again asking for confirmation -- whether these heads are currently sold by Muhle for its R89 product line.  I have been given a beautiful hand made razor handle and I want to purchase a quality razor head for it.  If Muhle is better made than Edwin Jagger, should I purchase the R89 or R41 which is also available.  I need the help of your experience.

0 43
 04-25-2015, 12:51 PM
User Info
I have had both the the EJ and the Muhle and saw no difference. I currently still have the Muhle head. The R41 is more aggressive head than the R89 so that's a totally different ball game there. I personally find the 89 to be perfect for my tastes. 

147 3,464
 04-25-2015, 03:50 PM
User Info
Freddie's right. The Mühle and Edwin Jagger heads are probably made in the same factory. The 89 is probably what you want. The R41 is a favorite of mine, but it is a razor that demands excellent technique to use. I would guess that the 89 razor head would suit 9 out of 10 guys.

You could always get both and work on technique with the 89 until you feel more confident -- then try the 41. Either way, you could then sell the "loser" on the BST forum.

You're smart to buy the head only -- a great way to save a little money for soaps & blades.
Euro

5 395
 04-25-2015, 04:13 PM
User Info
Thanks guys for your advise. I still don't know whether the product offered for sale by the English Shaving Company -- identified as Product Code EJDEHbl5 -- is Edwin Jagger's DE89 or its counterpart to Muhle's R41. I suppose it could also be a razor head only recently developed being offered for sale without handle. Anyone know?

0 43
 04-25-2015, 04:56 PM
User Info
I may be mistaken but I believe that EJ does not make a razor that is the equivalent of the R41. The one listed should be the R89 style your after. 

147 3,464
 04-25-2015, 09:52 PM
User Info
(04-25-2015, 04:56 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: I may be mistaken but I believe that EJ does not make a razor that is the equivalent of the R41. The one listed should be the R89 style your after. 

+1  Muhle is the only company that makes the R41 from what I understand and I haven't seen any copies or imitators of 'The Beast'.  

82 21,056
 04-26-2015, 03:14 AM
User Info
(04-25-2015, 09:52 PM)celestino Wrote:
(04-25-2015, 04:56 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: I may be mistaken but I believe that EJ does not make a razor that is the equivalent of the R41. The one listed should be the R89 style your after. 

+1  Muhle is the only company that makes the R41 from what I understand and I haven't seen any copies or imitators of 'The Beast'.  

Signs011

31 5,282
 04-26-2015, 04:17 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

I think JayBird refers to the Edwin Jagger DE89. In my interview with Neil Jagger for my Conversations with Obie on Straight Razor Place, he told me that the Edwin Jagger DE89 and the Muhle R89 shave heads were designed jointly by the two companies. That dispelled the rumor that the Edwin Jagger DE89 was designed and produced by Muhle. Now each company manufactures its own shave head based on the original that was designed jointly, he added.

As you well know, the R41 is a different story, and produced only by Muhle. As an aside, I confess my dislike for the R41 as the meanest razor ever produced, despite its being a capable shaver.

145 2,949
 04-26-2015, 06:21 AM
User Info
Quote:"As you well know, the R41 is a different story, and produced only by Muhle. As an aside, I confess my dislike for the R41 as the meanest razor ever produced, despite its being a capable shaver."

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree.  I could get a shave so close you could ice skate on it, and if I took my time, do it without hacking up my face, but I never found a blade I could use and make it comfortable. 

15 403
 04-26-2015, 10:30 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
My only experience is with the Muhle 89 head. It was beautifully manufactured. Although I didn't appreciate the shave I got (likely, poor technique), it impressed as a high quality razor. You can tell it was made with care and precision. Caveat, my very limited experience with other newly manufactured razors includes only one new Merkur and a Weishi. Still, it stood out as a product that was made by people who care about what they do. Bought it from Bullgoose with an ikon handle. Last time i looked it was still on the website.

4 1,944
 04-27-2015, 10:22 PM
  • josephd
  • San Dimas, CA
User Info
It's taken me only a month to get used to the Muhle R41 and I'm very new to wet shaving. Honestly the blade feedback makes it easier to use in my opinion. I'm using Astra SP blades and Colonel Conk soap.

I will admit though the first week was very touch and go.

0 40
 04-28-2015, 06:04 AM
User Info
(04-26-2015, 06:21 AM)PickledNorthern Wrote:
Quote:"As you well know, the R41 is a different story, and produced only by Muhle. As an aside, I confess my dislike for the R41 as the meanest razor ever produced, despite its being a capable shaver."

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree.  I could get a shave so close you could ice skate on it, and if I took my time, do it without hacking up my face, but I never found a blade I could use and make it comfortable. 

I had the same experience. I have blades that work well in my ATT R2, H2, Merkur Slant, iKon Slant, Shavecraft 101, and Weber PH. None of those same blades gave a comfortable shave with the R41.

1 108