04-30-2015, 03:00 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(04-29-2015, 08:44 AM)DoctorShaveGood Wrote:
(04-28-2015, 06:26 AM)bullgoose Wrote:
(04-27-2015, 03:21 PM)evnpar Wrote: Not much sympathy from us in the Pacific Northwest. I'm fascinated by someone who would take a photo of that piddly amount of rain. My suggestion would be, next Spring, when you might get your next rainstorm, do what the postal trucks did in the photo, back into the space so that your feet stay dry when unloading from the trunk.  Biggrin

The point was there was a piddly amount of rain and yet, there were puddles. This just demonstrates the total lack of drainage and the total lack of planning. When we get an inch of rain, there are flash floods. No storm drains and no pitching on highways or in this case, parking lots.

I worked for a civil engineer back in the 80's. Our job was to create a pitch in the parking lot, road or ditch to drain water properly away so you would not get puddling, etc. It's not a hard thing to draw and engineer. The one to blame is the guy that's drunk and driving the bulldozer.     
Biggrin 

52 20,402
 04-30-2015, 04:53 PM
User Info
I grew up in Pasadena and I've seen the same thing time and time again -- southern California just can't handle the rain. I moved to Seattle in '91 and discovered that the rain here is sometimes an un-planned for surprise too. (Surprise?!!)

Early every spring the residual oil on the highways turns into a slip-n-slide for motorists. I have a friend who is in the concrete business and the talk in HIS industry is all about porous concrete. It's relatively new and expensive, but it allows idiots to design car parks without regard for drainage.

also, Seattle is in the top 5 cities for sales of sunglasses! We keep losing them and need to buy new ones I guess.

Be prepared for parking lots that are dry soon after the rain shower. It's the future.
Euro

5 395