04-27-2015, 05:02 AM
User Info
I want start by saying that I have two of Gustavo’s brushes and they are excellent in both fit and finish - a Rustic Chubby/Briar handle and a La Dame/Bubinga handle. Top quality all around. Therefore, since I have firsthand knowledge of the work of which Gustavo is capable, I was surprised at the fit, finish, and quality of a Wenge brush I recently ordered. The brush should have never been sold and shipped.  Additionally, the “Romera” logo was not stamped in to the handle. While this is cosmetic and does not affect brush performance, it is one of the things that makes a “Romera a Romera”. Also, based on previous purchases, a buyer has certain expectations.  I sent Gustavo pictures. He agreed with my concerns and graciously refunded my money.

Gustavo has a large following here on TSN.  My desire is that he delivers beautiful, quality products of which he is capable.  I commend him for working with me to return the brush.

Ed

22 752
 04-27-2015, 05:40 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I had the same experience, Ed. Two of my Romera brushes are very well done, but a third was just sloppy workmanship with black paint and glue staining the lower part of the knot, and poor staining on the upper half of the handle. Although I really enjoy the first two brushes, I doubt that I'll order from him again.

38 5,107
 04-27-2015, 08:13 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
I remember reading somewhere that he was training an apprentice and this new guy may be the cause of the problems and/or the final QA is not being done.

47 1,923
 04-27-2015, 08:47 AM
User Info
(04-27-2015, 08:13 AM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote: I remember reading somewhere that he was training an apprentice and this new guy may be the cause of the problems and/or the final QA is not being done.

Just to clarify and give comfort to those waiting on orders, and to those wishing to order in the future, Gustavo is no longer using this assistant. As stated above, he was training an individual who, unfortunately, was responsible for the later issues in quality. I am pleased to say that the assistant is no longer working for Gustavo and that he is back to undertaking all the work, personally.

31 5,293
 04-27-2015, 12:52 PM
User Info
(04-27-2015, 08:47 AM)Optometrist Wrote:
(04-27-2015, 08:13 AM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote: I remember reading somewhere that he was training an apprentice and this new guy may be the cause of the problems and/or the final QA is not being done.

Just to clarify and give comfort to those waiting on orders, and to those wishing to order in the future, Gustavo is no longer using this assistant. As stated above, he was training an individual who, unfortunately, was responsible for the later issues in quality. I am pleased to say that the assistant is no longer working for Gustavo and that he is back to undertaking all the work, personally.

That may be but I got one of those brushes and he has never made things right. No refund, no replacement brush which by now I don't even want.

44 486
 04-27-2015, 06:31 PM
User Info
I have 2 of his brushes & they are both works of art & have some of the best Manchurians on the planet!AFG you might want to contact him again,he has always been very good with any problems I've had,I think sometimes things get lost in the translations.

20 441
 04-28-2015, 12:00 AM
User Info
(04-27-2015, 06:31 PM)stickbow46 Wrote: I have 2 of his brushes & they are both works of art & have some of the best Manchurians on the planet!AFG you might want to contact him again,he has always been very good with any problems I've had,I think sometimes things get lost in the translations.

Completely agree on everything  Cool

8 1,682
 04-28-2015, 01:20 AM
User Info
(04-27-2015, 06:31 PM)stickbow46 Wrote: I have 2 of his brushes & they are both works of art & have some of the best Manchurians on the planet!AFG you might want to contact him again,he has always been very good with any problems I've had,I think sometimes things get lost in the translations.

I agree. I've bought four brushes and all have been perfect. Further contact is recommended as Google Translate, especially for Spanish, is poor.

31 5,293
 04-28-2015, 04:09 AM
User Info
He told me in December he would send a replacement brush. I have sent him emails since then, none were answered. Not likely that he is going to respond now. There were several who received poorly made brushes during that time and I have no idea if he replaced any of them. I was a first time customer, I won't be buying again.

44 486
 04-28-2015, 07:51 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I have received four brushes from Gustavo.  The first was a Granadille Biscop, which was also among his first made, and was a bit rustic and unfinished but I came to appreciate and enjoy the character and craftsmanship.  I then ordered a 2nd Anniversario Edicion Limitada and this brush raised the bar significantly as it was nearly flawless.  My third brush was one of his synthetic brushes set in a resin handle.  This brush had the knot fall out during my first test lather, the epoxy used was clearly not mixed correctly as it was still gel-like and not set.  I sent Gustavo a picture and he handled it admirably although without haste.  My final brush was a butterscotch resin Silvertip and it showed many of the flaws found in my first brush, mostly poor finishing work, and although I enjoyed the rustic character on the wood handle it was out of place on the resin version.  I will probably order more brushes from Gustavo, but quite honestly there is still some things he needs to work out before I send him more of my business. 

Al, I hope you get taken care of and I would recommend being diligent and politely demanding of Gustavo to send that replacement. 

144 2,746
 04-28-2015, 11:36 AM
User Info
Hello fellow Shavenookers!

I have six brushes on order since January, and another one for a month now.

Three of these were "in stock" items. Postage was paid for three times, nothing has been shipped so far.
My relationship with the artisan has been twofold, with the time passed and a feeling of uncertainty more so. The cost of a brush made by Gustavo Romera is not the  issue, but when these brushes finally arrive I might not even feel anything for them.

I do hope I can satisfy my customers; best wishes to Gustavo for his business!
-
Philipp

21 1,175
 04-28-2015, 06:50 PM
User Info
I ordered a rustic chubby with manchurian fan knot in January and received it in March. It is a beautiful brush period. Whether I bowl lather or face lather and regardless of the soap or cream I use, it creates creamy thick lather. It is my special Sunday brush. I was disappointed by the fact that the Romero logo was absent from the handle, but it doesn't bother me anymore. The performance and aesthetic qualities of the brush outweigh any short-comings.

0 39
 04-29-2015, 10:40 AM
User Info
Reading some of these posts has increased my fears that my two orders in March will be delayed. Or worse , be less than anticipated due to the issues discussed. Hmm

16 1,937
 04-29-2015, 11:04 AM
User Info
Hello!
Waiting for several months makes a difference... Smiley_1140 I am now approaching 4 months waiting time
Via Email, Gustavo has confirmed  missing the proper knots due to a bad batch, and  learning the engraving.

Will report back as those brushes that  he can finish arrive here, some of my brushes shall be shipped next week

Philipp

21 1,175
 04-30-2015, 12:19 AM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
After several months and bad communication I got tired of waiting and just filed a paypal claim to get my money back.  I got emails saying the brush was being sent next week or in the next couple days and it never came.

17 439
 05-07-2015, 01:26 PM
User Info
Has anyone received a Romera brush in the past week or so?  I ask to see if he is engraving "Romera" on the handles yet?  I still would like another but am holding off for now.

Thanks,
Ed

22 752
 05-07-2015, 01:45 PM
User Info
Mine is the first Rustic sold and is not engraved. 

I've never given importance.

8 1,682
 05-08-2015, 03:56 PM
User Info
As anybody can see both my brushes have his insignia ground into the wood.The brush on the left I received last month after waiting almost 3 months.To  be honest 3 weeks were because the USPO in upstate NY choose to hold them.The same held true about  a Tipsoft brush that was held up for 19 days by the USPO.Have you guys checked with the international PO?
[Image: rFtLPts.jpg][Image: MlOxYk2.jpg]

20 441
 05-09-2015, 04:44 AM
User Info
(04-29-2015, 11:04 AM)Bibbelmann Wrote: Hello!
Waiting for several months makes a difference... Smiley_1140 I am now approaching 4 months waiting time

Will report back as those brushes that  he can finish arrive here, some of my brushes shall be shipped next week

Nothing sent and another, the 4th excuse. 

About time I said NO to Gustavo Romera.

Philipp

21 1,175