04-27-2015, 06:20 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Although I've been married for 47 years, I'm still trying to impress my wife by picking scents of soaps, aftershaves, and EDT's that she might like. Sometimes I'm successful, but more often, I'm not. What scents does your significant other like and dislike? My wife's are:

2. Steam Punk - we agree on this great scent.
3. Oxford & Cambridge.
4. Most things floral scented, or anything that she's picked out for me.

Dislikes:
1. Anything fougère
2. Anything that smells "like a pine tree."
3. Terre D'Hermès EdT or AS (one of my favorites, so I use it when she's gone). 

38 5,198
 04-27-2015, 06:25 AM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
I only keep around scents that my wife can tolerate.   So unfortunately I've said goodbye to some of my favorites including Alt Innsbruck and windsor.

Lucky she likes Arlington and i coloniali soap

17 447
 04-27-2015, 06:48 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I've presented many soap/AS/cologne scents to my wife to comment on.

Her likes at this time:
1. AdP Colonia, Colonia Essenza
2. XPEC
3. Alvarez Gomez
4. Terre d'Hermes

Her dislikes:
1. Fougere
2. Overtly floral scents
3. Toxic i.e. harsh and overwhelming scents

102 18,669
 04-27-2015, 06:49 AM
User Info
Hilarious thread!!!  24

Wife likes: 
Floïd Blue

Erik Kormann Steampunk
CK ONE
C.O. Bigelow Bay Rum
DR Harris Windsor

Wife hates:
Almost anything Vetiver... Angry This irks me, because she loves 1000+1 Seifen Vetiver soap, a stupendous vetiver aroma. She is ambivalent to Tom Ford Grey Vetiver...small consolation.

Alt Innsbruck
Pitralon Swiss
Floïd Vigoroso
CC Bay Rum
The "Veg"
Clubman
Patchouli

I could go on, but defer to other Nookers wishing to post.

39 3,950
 04-27-2015, 07:46 AM
User Info
My wife has been in the Avon business for 25 years so she is biases .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 766
 04-27-2015, 07:49 AM
User Info
I don't use colognes/EdT/aftershaves as their scents are too strong for me and my partner. I am using a exquisite Bergamot/Vetiver EO that I recently found and she just loves it as I do, so we are both very content! Also, she loves 99% of the Mystic Water scents which again is very fortunate for me! Biggrin

83 21,111
 04-27-2015, 08:33 AM
User Info
My wife says they all smell alike but some better than others lol. Says she does not want me smelling like her old man (her words) but loves when a more classic scent brings back memories of her grandfather. 

I wear/buy it for me but some she doesn't care for and let's me know. 

148 3,595
 04-27-2015, 08:39 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
Wife likes....   Eternity and smooth cheeks. 

She pretty much dislikes or only tolerates my other scents except anything Vetiver which she has put a giant F on. 

I like Lime, Bayrum, barbershop type scents. She wants Ambercrombie store smell. 

9 462
 04-27-2015, 08:57 AM
User Info
I bought a bar of Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap at GNC last week. I promptly opened it and put in the shower. Before I was even able to give it a fair trial, my wife threw it out. She said it "stunk-up the entire bathroom", and smelled like a soggy campfire! 

She pretty much just tolerates all my other soaps/scents/oils/balms/tonics, & etc. 

After enduring 33 years of me and my various hobbies, nothing new that appears in the shaving/showering arena or my man-cave surprises or impresses her anymore!

1 67
 04-27-2015, 09:07 AM
User Info
My wife loves Fine L'Orange, anything Soap Commander and Mickey Lee, she does NOT like....Alt Innsbruck. Seems to be a theme here, she can't stand any of the new Messiner products and I haven't even used them yet, she says the scents are horrid Sad. More than likely I will be having a sale soon  Undecided

8 264
 04-27-2015, 09:46 AM
User Info
Mine's pretty good about scents.  The only one she objected to was Ogalala BR.  But that was years ago.  Either I've learned what she likes...or she's just humoring me. Tongue

4 647
 04-27-2015, 10:12 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I have to put mine in three categories, love, like, dislike.

Loves:

Floid Blue/MWF combination 

iColoniali
C&S Oxford & Cambridge
SMN
Proraso
Anything Grapefruit or Lime
Arko (That's right, Arko. She says it smells fresh.  Go figure)
Aqua Velva
Mennen's Skin Bracer
Old Spice
Speick
Most anything made by D.R. Harris, especially Arlington
Alt Innsbruck

Dislikes:

MdC (To bad, I'm keeping it)
TABAC
Bay Rum (All Bay Rum's)
Anything made by Pinaud 

179 23,932
 04-27-2015, 10:30 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Got it easy, the Boss doesn't mind any scent that I have worn. Life is grand.

Bob

0 1,694
 04-27-2015, 10:53 AM
User Info
Haha great thread, interesting seeing what woman like and dislike. Mine is quite simple:

Likes: Citrus - lime, lemon and Orange. New Cologne smells.

Hates: Old Man smells - anything classic. Coffee and just anything not Citrus basically.

She did however say how much she loves Nivea Sensitive Balm, I will not repeat her exact words but I have worn it a lot since Wink 

4 642
 04-27-2015, 11:19 AM
User Info
(04-27-2015, 08:57 AM)Beadog Wrote: I bought a bar of Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap at GNC last week. I promptly opened it and put in the shower. Before I was even able to give it a fair trial, my wife threw it out. She said it "stunk-up the entire bathroom", and smelled like a soggy campfire! 

She pretty much just tolerates all my other soaps/scents/oils/balms/tonics, & etc. 

After enduring 33 years of me and my various hobbies, nothing new that appears in the shaving/showering arena or my man-cave surprises or impresses her anymore!

Combine that with Neutrogena T-Gel shampoo, and you're smelling like a campfire for the entire day.  24 I used that combination for a few years. My wife didn't find it humorous. I don't use either product anymore. 

39 3,950
 04-27-2015, 11:52 AM
User Info
My wife loves Proraso but HATES Pinaud Clubman.

3 218
 04-27-2015, 11:58 AM
User Info
(04-27-2015, 10:53 AM)Windsor Citrus Wrote: Haha great thread, interesting seeing what woman like and dislike. Mine is quite simple:

Likes: Citrus - lime, lemon and Orange. New Cologne smells.

Hates: Old Man smells - anything classic. Coffee and just anything not Citrus basically.

She did however say how much she loves Nivea Sensitive Balm, I will not repeat her exact words but I have worn it a lot since Wink

This sounds like my wife. She likes anything lime, as well as WSP Tobacco and Stirling Sharp Dressed Man (GIT clone so I guess that's pretty classic actually). Seems okay with fresh pine/spruce woodsy smells like Stirling Ozark Mountain.

Hates Speick, Strop Shoppe Date Night, anything smoky, anything musky. She's never said a word about Proraso Green Aftershave, so I wonder if she even smells it or if she's indifferent to it. Lots of things, like Razorock XXX, she says just "smells like soap"?

9 112
 04-27-2015, 12:32 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
My bride doesn't like any scent right after it's been applied, whether it's a soap or an AS. Let it dissipate for 45 minutes to an hour, and she's ok with it.

7 2,358
 04-27-2015, 12:36 PM
User Info
My wife has also issued general guidance that she likes citrus, but I haven't used a broad enough array of other AS products to know what she may or may not like.
She likes Aramis, but only in light usage.

8 948
 04-27-2015, 02:16 PM
User Info
my wife loves the smell of Krampert's bay rum after shave, as do I.

40 5,830