04-27-2015, 09:24 AM
User Info
While I was at Walmart yesterday, I saw some of this for about 4 bucks, and threw it in the basket. I figured that I could use it in the shower as a body soap, at the very least. I tried it out this morning, and I was genuinely surprised. It lathered quickly and well, and held plenty of water for a very nice straight razor shave. For me, it is every bit as good as some of my $10-$20 soaps. I will certainly use it, and have no qualms recommending it to anyone who hasn't tried it previously (I'm sure that many of you have). 

What's to lose, for under $5 at Wally World?! 

1 67
 04-27-2015, 09:28 AM
User Info
i think i prefer the deluxe VDH. the one in the green box.

0 189
 04-27-2015, 11:30 AM
User Info
I tried it.  Didn't really enjoy it.  I, too, think the VDH Deluxe lathers better.  I like the scent better, too.  The Luxury stuff smells like cheap drugstore cologne to me. 

I'm glad it worked for you, though.  Tastes vary a lot.  Most people hate the scent of VDH Deluxe, but I love it.  The majority likes the scent of the VDH Luxury, but I don't like it.  To each his own, as they say. 

2 1,394
 04-27-2015, 12:56 PM
User Info
I found the scent to be mild to non-existent. I must not be to "scent oriented". I like lots of soaps that others find polarizing (Tabac and Cella come immediately to mind!). I would have presumed that VDH Deluxe would be much like the "Luxury"?  I was just curious if a basement priced soap bought at Walmart could be any good at all!

1 67
 04-27-2015, 02:41 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(04-27-2015, 12:56 PM)Beadog Wrote: I found the scent to be mild to non-existent. I must not be to "scent oriented". I like lots of soaps that others find polarizing (Tabac and Cella come immediately to mind!). I would have presumed that VDH Deluxe would be much like the "Luxury"?  I was just curious if a basement priced soap bought at Walmart could be any good at all!

VDH used to have a higher profile on the forums , everyone used to use it at one time or another , however its been crowed out by the sheer mass of other soaps and creams available nowadays. I find the Luxury fine to use, it performs well.  Not a fan of Deluxe, but I like to use their Select and Glycerin especially in superlathers. 

15 541
 05-17-2015, 11:49 PM
User Info
This was one of my first soaps I used when I first got into wet shaving. It was fairly mild on my skin. I have a lot of problems with reactions to artisan soaps, and the VDH was as plain as can be. I used VDH Luxury as a benchmark for my other soaps for awhile. Now I use Arko as my benchmark. Good old cheap Arko. I still have a few artisan soaps from RR and PdP, but I've given up on the soap game after so many bad skin reactions.

2 106