04-29-2015, 06:30 AM
User Info
I am down to three brushes, all synthetics. Just received the 24mm WD Synthetic from Larry and only used it once so far but I think I am going to prefer it over the Plisson. It has a better face feel mainly to me than the Plisson. Other characteristics are similar, except it seemed to retain the same consistency on all five passes, two with the headshave and three with the face. The Plisson I need to wet a bit between passes as the lather gets too dry. With the WD I only wet it a bit on the last face pass and it was still not too dry without wetting. I think it is because the knot seems a bit denser. The EJ and WD both seem to retain the water better than the Plisson. I bowl lather with Proraso Cream pretty much exclusively.
Between the EJ and WD it really isn't fair to compare because the EJ is over 3 times more expensive. But other than more bloom, denser knot and nicer handle they really perform quite similar. The EJ is just more luxurious looking and a bit bigger, denser knot with more bloom. The WD rinses easier than the EJ and will probably dry faster. The WD will make a great travel brush and I probably will get down to just using the WD as I have a hard time justifying the price of the EJ over the WD.
Has anyone tried the WD 30mm synthetic? That may be the next brush I try if I settle down to just the 24mm WD and sell the other two. I think the fibers in the WD are about perfect for me. The plisson too soft, floppy and the EJ just a bit too dense and harder to rinse. But the EJ is the nicest brush for a luxurious shave. The EJ probably mimics a  good badger hair the closest of the three.[Image: tm1qSwM.jpg][Image: PUBvgnP.jpg][Image: LedQEmf.jpg]

18 201
 04-29-2015, 12:32 PM
User Info
James, the Whipped Dog brush looks terrific.  

Do you know what loft it's set at?  Was it a custom loft, or did you just go with Larry's default setting?

3 460
 04-29-2015, 01:17 PM
User Info
(04-29-2015, 12:32 PM)redrako Wrote: James, the Whipped Dog brush looks terrific.  

Do you know what loft it's set at?  Was it a custom loft, or did you just go with Larry's default setting.

Thanks, the brush is the default setting. The handle is 10mm deep and the knot is 24/65mm. So the loft is about 56mm. Plenty stiff, I wouldn't want the loft any shorter. I bowl lather creams and use to like the badger knots set in deeper/shorter loft than the factory settings, but the synthetics don't bloom so I like the normal loft settings for them. The loft is similar to the Plisson's. The handle is the same height as the plisson also. The WD has more backbone than the plisson. Overall I like the WD knot better than the plisson.

18 201
 04-29-2015, 01:31 PM
User Info
I just noticed that the WD knot has a glue bump. The loft from the glue bump is 46mm so that explains why the brush is a bit stiffer than the Plisson. You don't feel the glue bump when using the brush. I used a toothpick to measure the loft from the glue bump to the tips. The Plisson is  52mm and the EJ is 54mm. Just some more useless information for everyone to digest. Dodgy

18 201
 04-29-2015, 01:35 PM
User Info
Thanks, James.

It's really an exciting time for synthetic brushes

3 460
 04-29-2015, 01:41 PM
User Info
(04-29-2015, 01:31 PM)houlejames Wrote: ...I used a toothpick to measure the loft from the glue bump to the tips. The Plisson is  52mm and the EJ is 54mm. Just some more useless information for everyone to digest. Dodgy

It's level of detail that makes shaving forums as good as they are.   Smile

3 460
 04-29-2015, 07:07 PM
User Info
James, good to hear you are enjoying the synthetics! 

83 21,078
 04-30-2015, 07:03 AM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
I love my TGC brush, it was my first synthetic and now I got a Muhle SF 2 too.

4 447
 05-03-2015, 06:12 PM
User Info
How are the bristles holding in?  Or, is there shedding?  If yes, will you replace the knot ?  With the same or a generic refill? Thanks for sharing!  

0 135
 05-04-2015, 03:31 AM
User Info
I have had quite a few synthetic brushes and have never had more than 1 or 2 hairs shed on the first couple of uses and none that I noticed after that. I haven't heard of anybody on the forum ever complain about a synthetic brush shedding. Most of the problems I have heard about on the forums is improper/sloppy gluing and that was mostly the Chinese brushes. Also not enough glue and the knot fell out from the handle. I imagine most of the manufactures/suppliers will replace the brush if problems arise.

18 201
 05-06-2015, 02:18 AM
User Info
Ordered a 30mm WD Synthetic in Butterscotch to match the 24mm from Larry. Will let you know how I like it vs. the 24mm and EJ XL. I am selling the Plisson as it just seems too soft and floppy.

18 201
 05-10-2015, 12:09 PM
User Info
Thanks James for the great review. I was planning on buying a Plisson but now I may just contact Larry at WD and try out one of his synthetics. 

9 202